High Mileage vs Synthetic High Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't heard anyone suggest Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage. Perhaps that would help...

...of course, if I remember correctly, it was thinner than regular PP of the same weight. I always assumed that oils' HM conterparts were thicker.

Anyone have any experience with PPHM yet or UOA's or is ot still too "new"?

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
I haven't heard anyone suggest Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage. Perhaps that would help...

...of course, if I remember correctly, it was thinner than regular PP of the same weight. I always assumed that oils' HM conterparts were thicker.

I plan on running PPHM 5w30 next OCI and doing an UOA compared against the current fill of RP HMX 5w30.

I don't think Mobil Super HM is a blend. I could be wrong though. I never saw anything on the bottle saying that it was a blend.

The cost of PPHM makes it prohibitive. It is available only at the AutoZones in this area and I believe it is $45 for a 4 qt jug. Could be 5 qt, but I'm not sure. I had thought about blending my own (2 qts Pennz Platinum and 3 qts Pennz HM), but doing it that way, I wind up with a HM blend and I can get an already mixed HM factory blend cheaper.

Hi otis24, sounds like things are improving, good news

I know these HM oils have seal conditioners and are at the heavy end of the 30 wt range, but to me a 5W-30 is just a normal oil.

Over here, Castrol make an Edge 25W-50 which has a HTHS of 6.1
That should slow oil consumption down. If not stop it completely.

Have you tried a 10W-40 HM, or a 15W-40 HDEO?

Just chatting about oil, no problem with what you are doing. You probably get a real winter where you live. I don't, so cold starts are never an issue for me. They say a 10W should be good down to 0F.

Since we are mentioning the cheapest at Walmart - Supertech high mileage is probably going to be the cheapest.

With that said, Pennzoil high mileage seemed to significantly slow the oil pan leak on he Cherokee. I'm hoping the Valvoline high mileage does too!

I considered the Walmart HM but the add pack seemed almost non existent on the PQI site so for not much more I went with Mobil. Not saying Walmar was bad just my observation.

Good to know! I didnt know it was a synthetic blend. Guess I will be using Mobil 1 Synthetic HM my next OCI since I have a jug of that in stock. It will be interesting to see if it stops consumption completely.

Last edited:
I am driving from South Dakota to Lafayette LA for Thanksgiving. About a 2400 mile round trip. I will definitely change out before then. The trip will be different than my normal driving routine of lots of short trips. But perhaps it will give a good indication of how Mobil 1 HM performs. At the very least, it will give my vehicle time to "adapt" to the Mobil 1 so that when I return to my normal driving routine, I will be able to get a good comparison between Mobil Super HM and Mobil 1 HM.

SR5, yes, I have tried thicker oils to no avail. The HM oils are making a difference, and a splendid one at that. Going from 1 qt every 1000 miles to a half quart in 2500 miles is remarkable in my book!

I've never really bought into the high mileage oil thing, but from what I have read on this forums, Valvoline MaxLife seems to be the one with the best success at slowing leaks.

Originally Posted By: stchman
I've never really bought into the high mileage oil thing, but from what I have read on this forums, Valvoline MaxLife seems to be the one with the best success at slowing leaks.

Mine doesnt leak oil, it consumes it. This is a known issue with Dodge/Chrysler vans. Dont know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but is definitely a Mopar thing. As for the HM thing, my results speak for themselves, forcing me to buy into it. At 500 miles into my OCI, I would be down a half quart, like clockwork. At 1000 miles into OCI, I was down a full quart, like clockwork.

I had tried Pennz Platinum, Mobil 1, thicker oils like 15w40 and diesel oil like Delvac 10w30. The results were always the same. There was a slight decrease in consumption with Pennz Ultra, but nothing drastic. The only real improvement was with the switch to HM oils. The results were immediate and consumption has continued to decrease.

Thanks for the update. I am also using an HM oil for a leak and consumption issues, interestingly enough, also on a Dodge Grand Caravan (3.8 liter). The leak seems to have slowed down significantly but the consumption issue continues. I just bought some 10W-30 HM (the vehicle recommends 5W-20) and plan to use it next.

Originally Posted By: otis24

The cost of PPHM makes it prohibitive. It is available only at the AutoZones in this area and I believe it is $45 for a 4 qt jug. Could be 5 qt, but I'm not sure. I had thought about blending my own (2 qts Pennz Platinum and 3 qts Pennz HM), but doing it that way, I wind up with a HM blend and I can get an already mixed HM factory blend cheaper.

I recently got a 5 quart of PP HM at Wallyworld for about $22 online. I think it is $23.50 right now online. It need not be so expensive.

My guess is that PP HM is just like PP but with the HM part of the add pack of regular Pennzoil HM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SR5
Hi otis24, sounds like things are improving, good news

I know these HM oils have seal conditioners and are at the heavy end of the 30 wt range, but to me a 5W-30 is just a normal oil.

Over here, Castrol make an Edge 25W-50 which has a HTHS of 6.1
That should slow oil consumption down. If not stop it completely.

Have you tried a 10W-40 HM, or a 15W-40 HDEO?

Just chatting about oil, no problem with what you are doing. You probably get a real winter where you live. I don't, so cold starts are never an issue for me. They say a 10W should be good down to 0F.

The OP most definitely lives in a place with real winter.
Like well below zero (not wimpy below zero Celsius either) for days at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back