Changing filter every other OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that there are those who change filter only every other OCI. Reading through the manual of my 1991 K1500, it actually suggest changing filter every other OCI. This is thevfirst time Ive seen it actually suggested by a manufacturer. Granted, recommended OCIs were shorter back then. Any other manufacturers that recommend changing filter every other OCI?

Honda and Toyota have been doing it for years, and that's based on cheap low rent oil filters, a Fram Ultra wouldn't scare me for 20K or 2-3 oil changes, easily.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Honda and Toyota have been doing it for years, and that's based on cheap low rent oil filters, a Fram Ultra wouldn't scare me for 20K or 2-3 oil changes, easily.
None of the I4 or V6 Camrys I own indicate every other change.

My 1984 El Camino's owner's and service manuals both say to change the filter every other oil change, 7500 mile / 12 months OCI, for normal conditions. 3000 miles / 3 months and filter change every time for severe conditions - none of which I routinely operate in.

My 2008 Civic only calls for a filter change every other oil change, no distinction between normal/severe - it's codes displayed by the maintenance minder.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: zach1900
None of the I4 or V6 Camrys I own indicate every other change.

But by Toyota going to 10k oil changes, they in effect went 2 oci. In fact i beat them at their game by changing out oil every 5 k and filter 10k on my '13 I4.

In my Kawasaki Ninja ZX9R to have its filter out, has to get the exhaust headers off or smash crush, punctuate the filter and both are real messy pains, so I change it every 4 or 5 OCI (20-25k miles). All came out clean and good. Frams black tiny filters 6017A. I think if you have a clean engine with today oils, the filter won't have much to catch anyway. It could get ruptured, earlier than clogged. Unless I throw some graphite in the oil sump, witch I won't in a wet clutch motorcycle, for obvious reasons.

I treat FCI and OCI as an unrelated topics. Every oil, and filter has it's weak and strong points, and what they can handle. Every vehicle has it's own schedule, dictated by the service, environment, and if it's a scrap pile or a vehicle worth keeping.
wink.gif

R1 oil goes when shift quality goes, filter is going to stay there for at least 8k (5years?)
Beretta will run the oil for 10-15k, FCI of 15k
Lexus gets babied, ~8k oil, filter gets inspected every 5K and put back in service if looks good.
Jeep is full of gunk, and 99% severe service. 4-5k on oil, filter was pretty contaminated so 5k for this one.
Harley probably 3k on oil, and 6k on this filter.

Again, all this is subject to change as products I use change..strengths and weaknesses. I have no desire to waste.

Before Honda switched over to the maintenance minder system, their official recommendation on their 4-cylinder cars was to change the oil filter every other OCI. Back then, they spec'd 10,000 mile OCIs for their 4-cylinder engines, so that means the oil filter would be in operation for 20k miles.

I'm sure there are many owners/dealerships who did actually follow this recommendation, and it doesn't seem to have hurt the reliability of their 4-cylinder engines.

I read on another forum some time ago that Honda did actually test their oil filters extensively, and they found that the filters were still very serviceable after 20,000 miles. That's supposedly the reasoning behind their recommendation to change the filter every other OCI.

Here's a Honda 15400-PLM-A01 that I cut apart. It served for a 7.5k OCI in a CR-V and looks like it could have easily done another OCI.

Link

So, while it's probably not something I'd personally do since oil filters are cheap, I doubt it would cause harm to follow their recommendation of changing the filter at every other OCI.

Last edited:
I can't even fathom 20k mi oil filter interval... that would be like 3 years for me...
Just hit 84k today, bought car in late Jan '14 with 70k.

Originally Posted By: AccordK24
Before Honda switched over to the maintenance minder system, their official recommendation on their 4-cylinder cars was to change the oil filter every other OCI. Back then, they spec'd 10,000 mile OCIs for their 4-cylinder engines, so that means the oil filter would be in operation for 20k miles.

I'm sure there are many owners/dealerships who did actually follow this recommendation, and it doesn't seem to have hurt the reliability of their 4-cylinder engines.

I read on another forum some time ago that Honda did actually test their oil filters extensively, and they found that the filters were still very serviceable after 20,000 miles. That's supposedly the reasoning behind their recommendation to change the filter every other OCI.

Here's a Honda 15400-PLM-A01 that I cut apart. It served for a 7.5k OCI in a CR-V and looks like it could have easily done another OCI.

Link

So, while it's probably not something I'd personally do since oil filters are cheap, I doubt it would cause harm to follow their recommendation of changing the filter at every other OCI.

I am so tight I squeak when I walk. Changing the oil filter each and every oil change is something I don't mind spending my money on. By not changing the filter, and leaving dirty oil in it, it's like taking a bath, and then putting skid marked underwear back on.

I buy oil filters in bulk. They are so darn cheap that I don't have any motivation to leave one on for more than the current oil in the sump. When the oil gets changed, so does the filter. I am under there anyway, draining the oil, greasing the suspension, checking out the underside, etc, so there really is no good reason not to change the filter also.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
I am so tight I squeak when I walk. Changing the oil filter each and every oil change is something I don't mind spending my money on. By not changing the filter, and leaving dirty oil in it, it's like taking a bath, and then putting skid marked underwear back on.

Fair point. But on my Honda the refill capacity is 4.6 quarts with filter and 4.4 quarts without. Two tenths of a quart isn't much additional when you consider the amount of oil that's trapped in an engine during an oil change anyway.

Thank you for keeping that Beretta in good service. I still miss seeing those models in my neck of the woods.

All the best!

Steven Lang

Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: BigD1

Fair point. But on my Honda the refill capacity is 4.6 quarts with filter and 4.4 quarts without. Two tenths of a quart isn't much additional when you consider the amount of oil that's trapped in an engine during an oil change anyway.

Dry fill of a 4-cyl engine is usually more than 0.3-0.4 quarts more than oil change with filter.

With Fram at least, it can void the filter's manufacturer's warranty if used outside of what the auto manufacturer recommends. How would they know though?

I ran my last TG for 2 OCI's and it looked like my Jeep held a little under 1 quart of oil while keeping the filter on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back