TiVo Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a reasonable initial cost, plus $15 a month it looks like I could get an OTA TiVo DVR that would include access to streaming online content. My attic antenna pulls in all the local channels with no issues. I have had Dish Network service since 2003 and the basic level I have costs me about $70 a month. I am basically tired of scrolling through all the channels of garbage.

Have you had good experience with TiVo?

We love ours. However, we use ours as a cablecard device.
Easy to use and we use ours for streaming Netflix as well.
Last year, I upgraded to a TiVo unit that could simultaneously tape six programs.
That solved the only gripe that we had with ours in that it would only record two simultaneously, and you had to watch one of the two, or switch to basic cable.

I currently have the Dish 622 receiver which only records two at a time. On some rare occasions that isn't enough, but the TiVo device I'm looking at will record four simultaneous programs.

Dish already offered me the moon when I called to start the cancellation process. It's not going to happen without a fight I guess. I think I'll go at it through online chat when I make the final decision. Nothing they are offering is without strings attached.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Have you had good experience with TiVo?

I actually have the Roamio OTA, which is the TiVo you're referring to; has worked wonderfully, and would recommend it without hesitation.

Be aware that you can now purchase this with Lifetime service (so you're not stuck with a perpetual $15/month bill): http://amzn.com/B0148ZRFVO

Go for it! Tivo with an OTA antennae works great. The only problem I had was when stations switched to High Def. HD programs take up a lot of room. Tivo advertised my machine to hold 80 hours of programs but after HD it only held maybe 10 or so. I bought a 120-hour extended Tivo harddrive for more storage.

Thinking of upgrading to the Roamio.

Thank you! The Roamio OTA is the one I am looking at.

Dish is going to make it into an ordeal by making a bunch of offers. I'll call them again when I get home and have the patience to deal with it.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Thank you! The Roamio OTA is the one I am looking at.

Dish is going to make it into an ordeal by making a bunch of offers. I'll call them again when I get home and have the patience to deal with it.

DB,

If it's not to much trouble, post the new dish offers. I'm about to do the same and it would be nice to have some info on what to expect.

They are not really new offers. As always, Dish offers better packages, at lower prices, to new customers than to existing ones. Even Consumer Reports says you are often better off canceling your service and then re-upping soon afterward. They were offering me free Cinemax and Starz for four months and a temporary price reduction of about $25 for several months.

I have ordered the TiVo device. As soon as I receive it and get it hooked up I'll cancel Dish; since they will require me to ship back the DVR. I'll have to be very firm with them and just say I am canceling, period.

Dish never used to be big on retention offers, but so many people are going with OTA + streaming services they have no choice.

I have had a TIVO since the year 2001 and I use it with just an OTA getting local channels. My first one was a series 2 (analog signal only) that lasted 14 years then I sold it on Ebay still working perfectly. Just bought a series 3 digital with an expanded hard drive. With the expansion of all the OTA digital channels, I get all the TV I can use. There is an incredible number of movies being aired on OTA now days. I have had the lifetime service on them both so I paid more up front but never a monthly fee. 14 years times $15 per month adds up. My series 2 ran me $200 back in the year 2001, my series 3 ran $190 off of Ebay. And the best part of the OTA TIVO? No GARBAGE from cable TV.....lol. I can't say enough good about TIVO, it's that good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Dish never used to be big on retention offers, but so many people are going with OTA + streaming services they have no choice.

I have been with Dish since 2003. The biggest hurdle for me to cut the cord was the departure from familiar territory.

I received my Roamio OTA Friday and set it up yesterday. I am impressed with how feature packed and relatively user friendly it is. I was even able to take my inline amplifier out of the antenna line (I used to need the thing in the days of analog TV signal.). I was, frankly, shocked by the number of local broadcast channels in this area picked up by my old Radio Shack antenna mounted in the attic. A few channels that I always thought were "cable" channels can actually be picked up OTA. There is also a lot more on YouTube than just the short users' videos I have been perusing for years. I like "Forensic Files" except for the fact that a half-hour show ends up having at least four commercial breaks when watched on HLN. I watched a dozen of them on a YouTube playlist yesterday (the playlist has over 200 of them), all HD, NO COMMERCIALS.

Why didn't I do this sooner!?

Originally Posted By: BigD1
How good is the over the air guide on one of these devices?

It's fine. Mine updates daily and has programming lists that go out for two weeks. Clicking on a program tells you when it airs, what station, length of program, and a blurb about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back