Harvard Debate Team Loses to New York Prison Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not surprising. The prison likely got the best and brightest inmates while the university had to make sure gender, skin color, and ethnicity were represented.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Not surprising. The prison likely got the best and brightest inmates while the university had to make sure gender, skin color, and ethnicity were represented.

Assume much?

Quote:
The inmates were asked to argue that public schools should be allowed to deny enrollment to undocumented students, a position the team opposed.

Quote:
Carlos Polanco, a 31-year-old from Queens and a member of Bard’s winning debate team, is among the roughly 15% of inmates at the correctional facility in Napanoch who has taken advantage of the education program.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Assume much?

Quote:
The inmates were asked to argue that public schools should be allowed to deny enrollment to undocumented students, a position the team opposed.

Quote:
Carlos Polanco, a 31-year-old from Queens and a member of Bard’s winning debate team, is among the roughly 15% of inmates at the correctional facility in Napanoch who has taken advantage of the education program.

+1

More plausible is Harvard took their opponent lightly and didn't expect the whooping they got from a group of publicly educated students.

You better spend as much time as you can in debate skill if you are behind bars, vs doing just enough to pad your resume in ivory towers.

Just look at the politicians that have graduated from Harvard. These Harvard graduates should be grateful that the political welfare system has room for them.

This must have been a terrible experience for them. They are used to debating other blue bloods and now they faced real people. Imagine how bad they would perform against someone with a job.

Probably depends on the lawyer.

I caught that too. The Harvard team were probably "kids" as you suggested, few if any older than 25.

Who knows the life experience of those on the prison team.

They certainly have more time to devote to practice as I doubt they have many social obligations to fulfill in the joint
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
How would these prisoners match up against a trial lawyer not some bozo kids from Harvard ?

What's this country coming to? Some are sounding like they respect the prisoners more than students trying to educate and better themselves.

Agreed. This is a HUGE factor in many aspects of the US today,
it truly dumbs the country down!

I say look around you, on the job, in public places, your neighbors, and so forth, the people surrounding me are increasingly stupid,
uneducated, with criminal tendencies, although many are surprisingly crafty and street smart, two legged cock roaches if you will.

Last edited:
I respect the idea that the prisoners probably don't have it as easy as the typical Harvard student.

And I hold a couple of degrees from a top 25 institution, FWIW.
Got them on an Army ROTC scholarship as I couldn't afford that scale of tuition being raised by a single mom.

So yeah, I give them props for doing the work.

Part of the point of the article is the low recidivism rate. Only 2% return to prison in 3 years compared to the average of 40%.

Not bad. It's certainly more cost effective than having them come back to three hots and cot paid for by the taxpayer.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
What's this country coming to? Some are sounding like they respect the prisoners more than students trying to educate and better themselves.

This story is like a high school football team from a humpty dumpty small town in Nebraska beating the Miami Dolphins in pre season football game. Not really impressive. Gives the readers a warm fuzzy feeling about some felons.

These guys would get destroyed by any run of the mill lawyer.

I understand that Tyrone Green, urban poet and author of "Cill my Landlord" was part of the prison debate team.

Only on BITOG would you have cons being "real people" and Harvard students being sniveling offspring of Thurston and Lovey who are worthless to the greater society. [censored], I got to get me some prison time.

Well the prinsoners have all the time in the world to spend at the library reading law books.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
How would these prisoners match up against a trial lawyer not some bozo kids from Harvard ?

Well I guess that since they're in prison, they DIDN'T match up well against a trial lawyer.

What are you reading? Straw-man much?

I can respect the effort of the prison team without denigrating the Harvard kids.

Would you rather them learn how to be better criminals from the other inmates and returning in the next three years to get some more free room and board from the state of NY?

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I understand that Tyrone Green, urban poet and author of "Cill my Landlord" was part of the prison debate team.

Only on BITOG would you have cons being "real people" and Harvard students being sniveling offspring of Thurston and Lovey who are worthless to the greater society. [censored], I got to get me some prison time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back