2006 Toyota Sequoia oil recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we just traded our 01 Sequoia on an 06. It has 54K miles on it and the carfax shows it was a one owner who had regular maintenance with oci's between 6K-8K miles. We plan to keep this car a long time so looking for the best recommended oil/filters from you guys. The manual calls for an ILSAC 5W-30 oil. We live in central PA where temps can fall to under 0 degrees in winter. Wife will typically drive this car 9 miles to and from work on "back" roads not in excess of 50 mph. Most trips will be less than 20 mile trips for groceries, gas etc over mountains as we live in the valley. Some occasional highway driving so there is a mixed bag of driving. Average 10K miles a year.

Note: Mostly used QS Defy in the 01 we traded with 186K and no problems but did occasionally use Valvoline and QS conventional and a variety of filters like Fram orange, Purolator, Napa Silver and Wix. I want to be more consistent with this car.

According to Toyota, 5W-30 is the recommended viscosity.

Since the vehicle has 54K on it, just use Mobil 1 and a Fram Ultra oil filter.

Someone mentioned that the recipe for Quaker State Defy recently had changed so I was looking for advice on alternative oil. Is it ok to do 10K OCI with synthetic for our style of driving? That would be one OCI per year.

Dino: PYB 5W30.....5000 +/- OCI.....Fram Tough Guard filter

Semi-Syn: Pennzoil Gold 5w30......7500 OCI....FRAM ULTRA filter (2 OCI's)

Full Syn: M-1 or PP 5W30.....10K OCI......FRAM ULTRA filter

Toyota Canada has back-spec'd the 5W-20 grade for earlier model yearSequoias.
The latest version of TGMO 0W-20 is recommended
for 5W-20 applications so that is the oil I would use in a Pennsylvania climate.

Tundra does great on plain vanilla M1 from Costco for 7500, hard to beat the price and availability of that stuff when they have a sale/rebate on it. I always stock up.

Last edited:
That '06 Sequoia is a nice vehicle.

I'd stay with the 5W-30 even with the factory back spec to lighter oil.

I'm partial to Pennzoil Ultra or Pennzoil Platinum and would stock up on NAPA Gold filters the next time they go on sale.

5/10w30 PYB and a Fram or WIX filter of your choice.

x2 on them being nice. I prefer the boxy body over the newer models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back