Verizon: Samsung Galaxy S6 or... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In need of a new phone. Want to stick with Android. Everything with good specs out there is huge, so I think I'm going to settle on the S6 because at least it's very thin, so it should feel less awkward in a pants pocket. I guess I should go to a local Verizon store and ask if they'll let me put one in the pocket to see what it feels like.

Other than the S6, is there any other Android phone (compatible with Verizon) that I should be seriously considering? I want it to have 3 GB RAM and modern chipset/CPU architecture, and no bigger than S6. Preferably smaller.

Thanks!

I have the 2014 Nexus 6. It does well in my pocket naked and with a very slim case.

I suggest taking a look at the newest Nexus 5. It's made by LG and is supposed to be a nice piece.

Iphone 6S
smile.gif

I have the LG G3 so I would go with the G4. I have had no problems with mine and would stay with LG with how they are doing phones right now. Decent sized screen in one of the smallest form.
The screen to bezel ratio is one of the best that I have seen. Just another option.

My wife has an iphone 6 that I cannot stand due to the lack of functionality
copy/paste functionality is very limited, sharing of apps, photos, etc

I can create a beautiful cut open filter post here on bitog complete with pics linked from photobucket from my phone.

no way that is happening from my wifes iphone

an iphone is basically technology for dummies 101

meanwhile on my android I can literally do anything a computer can do other than type on a real keyboard.

I have an HTC ONE m9, rooted and running a stock ish rom

the Samsung galaxy phones have always felt too plasticky and light, while the htc feels much more solid

Last edited:
S6 is ok but non-removeable battery and no micro sdcard are negatives

The new nexus 5x is probably the best 5" phone
if 5.5" is acceptable there are tons of options.

What carrier do you have?

Thanks guys. Nexus 5X, LG G4, HTC M9 are nice phones, but all larger or thicker than the S6, which I already find too big. If I could find a 4.5" phone with specs as good as the S6, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Let's not get into any Android vs iOS discussions here, please.

Originally Posted By: Rand
S6 is ok but non-removeable battery and no micro sdcard are negatives

The new nexus 5x is probably the best 5" phone

Well, the 5X has a non-removable battery and no sd card slot as well. At least with the S6 you can get 64 or 128GB on board memory. With the 5X, 32GB is max.

Granted, that 64/128GB upgrade option on the S6 should come with a jar of vaseline, but at least it's an option.

Quote:
What carrier do you have?

Verizon.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
My wife has an iphone 6 that I cannot stand due to the lack of functionality
copy/paste functionality is very limited, sharing of apps, photos, etc

I can create a beautiful cut open filter post here on bitog complete with pics linked from photobucket from my phone.

no way that is happening from my wifes iphone

an iphone is basically technology for dummies 101

meanwhile on my android I can literally do anything a computer can do other than type on a real keyboard.

I have an HTC ONE m9, rooted and running a stock ish rom

the Samsung galaxy phones have always felt too plasticky and light, while the htc feels much more solid

THIS!

I was in same boat 6 weeks ago. I was close to the 6 but ended up with Note 4 and love it! The leap from Note 4 to 5 was barely a boost and not being able to put in a miicro SD and change batteries made Note 4 no brainer.

Big push from em all to get you into the cloud storage.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

My comment was serious.

Im transitioning from Blackberry to iOS for work device, and the only thing Im going to miss is the keyboard. I get it that Android is not Blackberry...

But it also seems that all the issues that people have cited about iphone in the past, like non-removable battery and no SD card, are now being implemented as the norm in phones like the S6. Of course since its not Apple, the complaints are now quiet.

If one has to root Android to get it to do what they want, how is that so wonderful?

Ive not had any issues cutting/pasting, and it strikes me that iOS is more efficient on the hardware than Android. And the CPUs benchmark faster, specifically in single core and practical use.

http://www.redmondpie.com/dual-core-ipho...ial-benchmarks/

From PC-mag:

401629-iphone-6s-benchmarks-1.jpg

Its clear that the A9 is much faster per core, so having more cores, just is a band aid for overcoming efficiency issues.

So this isn't meant to be the usual hater/lover contest, just a valid question/point.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Its clear that the A9 is much faster per core, so having more cores, just is a band aid for overcoming efficiency issues.

Why does iPhone 6S CPU have two cores when it could have had just one? That's not a band aid?

Please, stop polluting my threads when specifically asked not to go there. I would report you to a mod, but you are a mod...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

My comment was serious.

Well, let's see. It is the equivalent of a Chevy/Ford discussion, where the person who started the thread said "I want to stick with Chevy", and you commented with "Ford".

Yep. That's serious all right.

In need of a new phone. Want to stick with Android. Everything with good specs out there is huge, so I think I'm going to settle on the S6 because at least it's very thin, so it should feel less awkward in a pants pocket. I guess I should go to a local Verizon store and ask if they'll let me put one in the pocket to see what it feels like.

When I bought 4 phones few months ago at local Verizon store, they brought out demo phones(S6 and Samsung Galaxy ?) from back room for us to try on.

well the s6 is
(5.65 x 2.78 x 0.27 in)

Is it contract pricing? or full price?

could go for the lg g3
(5.76 x 2.94 x 0.35 in)

It has 5.1.1 coming on verzion now, cost is 250$ ish for the tmobile or att versions I'd imagine verizon is similar.

I'd say go with a z3 compact but those arent available on verizon(iirc)

NO one has a good ~5" phone anymore.. ie moto x 2013 or fire phone size.

Maybe a galaxy s5?
(5.59 x 2.85 x 0.32 in
they are under 200$ refurb for verizon(no contract)

Last edited:
I've gone to the store and just tried sticking the phone in my pocket to see how wide it was. Nobody there ever says a word as it's probably a pretty common thing. I guess if you really want to see without the cord sticking out of your pocket you can ask for one that doesn't have one.

It seems it's the era of big phones. Just got a Moto X which is also one of those big 5.7" phones. It's clear that it can't be used one handed, you can try, but then you give up and end up using two hands. I do like the screen though and it's only $399 plus tax so it should be cheaper that most phones being mentioned although I think the Nexus 5x is also down there in price. Nice things about Nexus and Moto X is that they don't have Verizon bloatware on it. Also tethering and hotspot is active on my Moto X as Verizon didn't get their hands on it to disable it.

I would suggest the Moto X as well. Good alternative to the Samsung and LG. The regular Moto X (sec gen) shows a screen size of 5.2. Only has a 32gb cap though. The Pure Edition is nice and has 64gb but also has a 5.7 screen. The storage issue, lack of SD usage, is really irritating at this point.

Quattro - I have an S6 128GB on AT&T and I love it. It is slightly smaller than the S5 (I have had an S2, S3, S4, S5, and S6). Though the non-removable battery and no SD slot seemed like a big deal at first, I have to admit that I never had to remove my battery in my S5 and 128GB is more than enough (though it comes with a premium price). I would seriously look at the S6--I think you will like it too.

Thanks, everyone.

Those of you that own the S6, how is the battery life?

After owning my current Razr M for almost 3 years, I have gotten used to living with a non-removable battery. Granted, the battery life is a lot worse now than when it was new. I use a portable charger when I'm on the go and running low on juice.

Originally Posted By: BIGJ552000
I have the LG G3 so I would go with the G4. I have had no problems with mine and would stay with LG with how they are doing phones right now. Decent sized screen in one of the smallest form.
The screen to bezel ratio is one of the best that I have seen. Just another option.

We have had 4 LG G2 phones and now 2 LG G3 and one LG G4... have been great phones and not problematic. Agree with what this poster has said as well...

BurrWinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back