Uses for spent Coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always had a hard time properly disposing of used coolant. The city website says bring it for recycling to a Quick-Lube; The Quick Lube says they don't take it. Some say pour it down the municipal drain; others argue you are going to contaminate the public water supply.

I went to a new-to-me junk yard last weekend, and they have a giant tank of coolant that says "Free Used Coolant - 2 Gallons Max", and has a line of 3-4 people waiting to fill up their buckets.

What are these people doing with the coolant?!? What am I missing??

I imagine that some folks, for various reasons, will filter it (or not) and re-use it.

Used coolant still maintains its freeze point and boil protection, but the additives get depleted. I'm not sure what is added to the antifreeze that gets stale. Corrosion protection?

Manufacturer's websites like that of Peak have lots of info about using their coolant/antifreeze but it appears that they don't want to know what you do with the used coolant. Vendors take oil but not coolant. So, what you need is a "disappear machine".

Around here Advance Auto and Pep Boys take it and the village hall takes it every 3rd Saturday. I've never had an issue getting rid of used coolant around here, but it did take me a while to figure out where to take it. Call the auto parts stores and village hall (or town hall, city information numbers, etc...) for info on where to take it. Every city has a place or program for this stuff, certainly one as large as Boston.

I'm not saying pour it down the drain but I've heard the systems are capable of purifing it out of the water supply. You just can't over do it.

We second bet would find a good sturdy water right container and seal it off well with duck tape. It can't be stored forever and if you can't get someone to take it at least dispose of it semi-responsible.

our local municipality depot accepts spent coolant...

Also: various auto chain stores take used oil, used coolant as well.

Please don't dump spent coolant(unnecessarily) into the storm drain, for those chemicals within (glycol, phosphorus, etc.) are not good for the environment.

Q.

Mix it with used oil. 1 quart per gallon of oil or so.
27.gif

It should never be dumped into a storm drain; the rain water that runs directly into bodies of water without treatment.

Some municipal sewer systems can handle it. Contact your local public works.

Some auto parts stores will collect it.

Maybe people are collecting it for cars that they're flipping? Someone had to replace a water pump on a car that they're getting rid of, for instance.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

Maybe people are collecting it for cars that they're flipping? Someone had to replace a water pump on a car that they're getting rid of, for instance.

I would think they would just use the coolant that they extract from that car, right?

By me the county had a 1x per month hazardous waste drop off day. There are also some places that recycle it and re sell it to manufacturers. A lot of town DPW's will take it as well. Ours has a free pick up from a recycler.

Originally Posted By: spavel6
I've always had a hard time properly disposing of used coolant. The city website says bring it for recycling to a Quick-Lube; The Quick Lube says they don't take it. Some say pour it down the municipal drain; others argue you are going to contaminate the public water supply.

More and more hazardous waste disposal centers will take it, as the glycol can be recycled to some extent. But until recently, most city disposal websites would say, "pour it down a drain that goes to a sewage treatment plant." In other words, flush it down the toilet. The glycol and organic acids will break down in the sewage treatment process, and the other trace additives will get lost in all the minerals and trace metals people excrete anyway. If you pour it down a storm drain, that may go directly to a surface stream rather than being treated first.

Originally Posted By: raytseng

I assume you're in boston. This was my first google.

Do a search for 'hazardous waste', and it'll lead you to the right info.

Unfortunately I live outside of Boston..

"For Boston residents only; proof of residency required."

Our city website is more vague, so I'll have to call them to inquire.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
I assume those people filling up have beaters that leak coolant, and might need to fillup a pint every day. If you're living paycheck to paycheck, then you might need to do what you have to do

Yup, a lot of people who couldn't afford to fix a small leak will just keep adding coolant to their vehicle on a regular basis. Not the best for the environment but at least they are not putting NEW coolant in there instead.

IMHO....People who are selling used cars usually drain all of the rusted, corroded and spent fluid out of the vehicle.

They will fill it up with any used coolant since it is, most likely, in much better condition than the existing vehicles coolant.

IMO...some people just don't care and assume the new owner will change all of the fluids when they take the used vehicle home.

When buying a used vehicle....it's good to change all of the fluids since the history is not known.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back