Castrol Edge 0-40W (AKA German Castrol) 2.0TFSI A4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard great things about "German Castrol" OW40.

I came across Castrol 03101 Edge 0W40 on Amazon.com;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00CR9DZG45AJP8

I noted that it was 502.00 approved, made in Germany and had great reviews.
I wanted to confirm that this was the current version of "German Castrol" and get opinions from owners that used it in a Audi A4 with a 2.0TFSI.

Thanks!
Stoic B7

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stoicb7

I wanted to confirm that this was the current version of "German Castrol" and get opinions from owners that used it in a Audi A4 with a 2.0TFSI.

Thanks!
Stoic B7

You can buy it in Wal Mart for some $26, or if it is on sale for some $22.
That oil or M1 0W40, two best readily available choices for your car.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Thanks!
Stoic B7

You can buy it in Wal Mart for some $26, or if it is on sale for some $22.
That oil or M1 0W40, two best readily available choices for your car.

I couldn't agree more, considering all the approvals. If either of my vehicles spec'd a 40, i would use these exclusively.

0w-XX oils are becoming more popular. I suppose it's like the shift from 30 to 5w-30 or 10w-30. Oil is getting better all the time. Maybe the shift to these better oils is a bit slower because of old habits.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
0w-XX oils are becoming more popular. I suppose it's like the shift from 30 to 5w-30 or 10w-30. Oil is getting better all the time. Maybe the shift to these better oils is a bit slower because of old habits.

0W40 oils are on the European market available for some 17-18 years.

...and still becoming more popular every year. 0w-30/40 might just be better for your vehicle than 0w-20. You'd have to be willing to give up a mile or two per gallon in gas consumption during warm up, but it's possible you'd gain in engine life.

...and still becoming more popular every year. 0w-30/40 might just be better for your vehicle than 0w-20. You'd have to be willing to give up a mile or two per gallon in gas consumption during warm up, but it's possible you'd gain in engine life.

What Euro engine uses 0W20? Even 0W30 have to meet stricter spec then 0W30 you can find in Wal Mart.

What Euro engine uses 0W20? Even 0W30 have to meet stricter spec then 0W30 you can find in Wal Mart.

None than I can think of. It's only in the US that 0w-20 is thought to be the oil of choice. I'm still in the 30 weight camp for my 2 cars. I don't think a 40 weight oil is needed for my situation.

Castrol 0W40/30 and M1 0W40
smile.gif

None than I can think of. It's only in the US that 0w-20 is thought to be the oil of choice. I'm still in the 30 weight camp for my 2 cars. I don't think a 40 weight oil is needed for my situation.

Over here in tropics both your 84 and 03 would have been prime candidates for xW40 , dino or otherwise.
blush.gif

Thanks!
Stoic B7

German Castrol was 0w30, not 0w40.

the Castrol Edge Titanium 0w40 sold at Wal-Mart isn't made in Germany (I think USA).

the SAPS level is fairly decent, 1.15% for reduced valve deposits.

0w40 is something I use in the winter time. SUmmer time, I go back to 5w40, some sort of HDEO, which as a SAPS about 1.0 or slightly less

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Thanks!
Stoic B7

the Castrol Edge Titanium 0w40 sold at Wal-Mart isn't made in Germany (I think USA).

0w40 is something I use in the winter time. SUmmer time, I go back to 5w40, some sort of HDEO, which as a SAPS about 1.0 or slightly less

You are late in the game. Castrol 0W40 in Wal mart (i think for like 2 years already) is Made in Germany. Production of 0W30 is moved from Germany to Belgium where 0W40 was made before. 0W40 was NEVER made in NJ, only [censored] 5W40.

Thanks!
Stoic B7

You are late in the game. Castrol 0W40 in Wal mart (i think for like 2 years already) is Made in Germany. Production of 0W30 is moved from Germany to Belgium where 0W40 was made before. 0W40 was NEVER made in NJ, only [censored] 5W40.

where did I say it was made in NJ? I didn't

Thanks!
Stoic B7

where did I say it was made in NJ? I didn't

That is where Castrol is cooking oils for the U.S. market, at least Euro versions (5W40 and LL-03 5W30).

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro

That is where Castrol is cooking oils for the U.S. market, at least Euro versions (5W40 and LL-03 5W30).

No Castrol engine oils are made in NJ.
smile.gif

Thought they are Made in NJ for US market, but could be wrong.
Anyway, 0W40 is Made in Germany, those 5qt jugs we can by in Wal Mart.
That attempt of oil 5W40 i have no clue, that was more of a guess, but does not matter, not going in my engine.

Thanks!
Stoic B7

There is no Castrol Edge Titanium 0W-40 sold at WalMart. It's just plain Castrol Edge 0W-40 made in Germany.

To the OP, you could use 0W-40 all year round - Castrol Edge or Mobil 1. Both are VW 502.00 certified.

Originally Posted By: gregoron
There is no Castrol Edge Titanium 0W-40 sold at WalMart.

Not sure about Hawaii, but in other US states there is.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: gregoron
There is no Castrol Edge Titanium 0W-40 sold at WalMart.

Not sure about Hawaii, but in other US states there is.

Yep there is Titanium available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back