to change trans fluid in the dart

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 15 dart is a 6 speed manual has 800 miles on it. What fluid would work well in this transmission? It shifts decent but anything to improve the smoothness is always welcome

Originally Posted By: Falken
The Dart is a Chrysler, so you can just change the whole trans and fluid at the same time.

Haha! I think that only applies to 4 speed automatics, though.

It amazes me how some people bash Chrysler my family has had the best luck for 50 years with Mopar vehicles

Is this gonna be just like the Focus where we have three or four threads a week on it ?
grin2.gif

The Dart is a Chrysler, so you can just change the whole trans and fluid at the same time.
that unit isn't a Chrysler trans. It's from fiat powtertrain and co developed with magnetii marinelli, and Borg Warner. It's essentially the dual dry clutch auto, without the valve bodies, etc that would automate it.

I think it would be a good idea to change it. It is new and there is definitely going to be crud from manufacturing and break in. I changed the oil on my MTX-75 somewhere in the 30000 miles range and it was pretty nasty looking.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Haha! I think that only applies to 4 speed automatics, though.

falken -- your post is funny, considering you own a Honda -- a company known to produce lousy trannies, in many applications, for about 15 years.a few days back, there was a post about yet another Honda recall -- tranny related. gee, what a surprise. hahaha.

miller -- I don't recall when they last made a 4 speed.

ram -- you should have enough sense to know that any topic such as this will bring out the brand bashing wizards.then, you make a comment about the bashers. that's funny.

you're a mechanic -- you should know enough to leave it alone, at 800 mi.don't turn into one of these guys that will "fix it 'till it's broke".
enjoy your new ride, and have a good day.

thanks for my morning laugh, guys.

Actually, on the Fit, you can drop the Engine and Trans out the bottom into a dumpster, when you remove the mount bolts and subframe, as per the Service Manual IIRC.

So, I can pull off an engine oil AND ATF change in one shot!

What does the owner/service manual say in terms of a fluid. Could be a 75w gear oil or an ATF or something in between.

Everyone knows Chrysler transmissions all fail after 10,000 miles and Pennzoil is 90% liquefied Christmas candles. Now back to the topic; Can you use a GL-4 in there? Do you know if it has brass syncros?

My Honda started shifting really badly around 15K miles. I thought it was toast. A Fluid change fixed that. Honda uses a glorified engine oil with high VI in its MT/xaxle and it gets sheared to Hades during breakin.

Finding a good GL4 is tough - Subaru MT fluid is supposed to be great. I

oh my...makes me wonder about the 6-speed automatic on my '15 Patriot; it is manufactured in Korea...?? Hyundai/Kia ?? guess I should start shopping for a replacment transmission before I hit 10,000-15,000 miles

wink.gif

What fluid is speced for it? Your owners manual must list it.

I would look into a Amsoil fluid for it.

And I would not hesitate to change it early to get the wear metals out.

The Royal Purple 75w90 for my camry stick shift is $20/qt. I hope you find something cheaper than this. The gear oil was almost as expensive as the clutch!

Change the oil. During warranty use a recommended lube. Experiment after warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back