Delvac MX 15W40 vs Delo 400 15W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry guys, no UOAs on these, however just a little feedback on shift quality on my Suzuki 2007 K7 GSX-R750.

I've been running Delo pretty much for like 14 changes and the just switched to the Delvac. The Delo shifts smoother from the initial change. The Delvac doesn't but seems to take some time improving to about half change period. It holds shift smoothness pretty well until change time with only a slight drop off. The Delo shift quality drops off slowly until change time. Overall the Delo gives better shift quality.

For shift feel I don't like the Delvac and will be switching back to the Delo when the 20 litre drum is finished.

Interesting, Delvac MX delivered great shifting quality through the entire OCI for me. Clutch was much more 'grabby' with it, but I actually liked that once I got used to it. (Not being a smart*ss, just sharing my experience here.)
A much better experience for me than Motul 5100.
Reason for switching is the bike seems to consume any xw-40 oil I happen to pour in the oil fill hole. We'll see how this current fill of Meguin Racer holds up in the long run.

i have tested both

but that does not mean the oil i tested here in the usa is the same as what you have down under.

here is how the hdeo's ranked in my bike in my tests:
SuperTech 15w40 - (old) the walmart brand
Shell Rotella T 15w40 (old)
Shell Rotella T 15w40 (new - still sold)
Chevron Delo 15w40
Mobil Delvac 1300 15w40
Shell Rotella T 5w40
Motorcraft 15w40

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunruh
i have tested both

but that does not mean the oil i tested here in the usa is the same as what you have down under.

here is how the hdeo's ranked in my bike in my tests:
SuperTech 15w40 - (old) the walmart brand
Shell Rotella T 15w40 (old)
Shell Rotella T 15w40 (new - still sold)
Chevron Delo 15w40
Mobil Delvac 1300 15w40
Shell Rotella T 5w40
Motorcraft 15w40

Have you tried Delo 400 Le 5w-40? It is usually a few cents cheaper than rotella t6 and gives much better clutch feel IMO. I have used both the rotella and delo 5w-40 in motorcycles and prfer the delo. I have also seen recent VOA's of Delo 5w-40 and it has a higher TBN and more additives than rotella t6. Do a google search and you will probably find it, if interested.

I have Delvac MX in a couple of my bikes (Honda TLR200 and Guzzi Stornello 160). The TLR200 has hot engine clutch drag no matter what oil I've run, even 5-30. Not really a problem, but it's a trials bike and I need to select neutral before and after each section...it's a real pain. I've never noticed any shift feel difference on either bike no matter what oil I've used.

no i have not tested delo 400 le 5w40.
the only 5w40 i have tested is the blue jug Shell Rotella T.
it is a good winter oil but it shears fast in my motor.
it if does not turn to water in your motor, use it.

the delvac mx has a nice flash of 446.

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back