Winterizing a leaking water pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so my pump drips out the weep hole (my Dad saw this, I couldn't find the correct angle to confirm). I only really notice after the vehicle has sat...mostly after being run. Ok, so after shutting down up until i drive it again I usually add more an a quart, but less than a half gallon to get the level in the surge tank to the full mark.

System capacity is, I believe app. According to the manual....16.8 quarts. Somehow when it is low a quart or two, out of the stated app. Four gallons, the needle will climb on the temp gauge.

I intend to change e water pump, thermostat, housing and gasket when I undertake the service, however, I may not be able to get to it by the time we freeze. So, what can I do about my fear of a cracked block or whatever could happen. I have been driving thru summer on water so pollution has just now come into mind as I have started adding back in Zerex Dex concentrate at about 1:4 premixing as per the thread of it causing heat, so I have not been adding concentrate to the tank.

Thx

running on straight water is very bad.

you also dont mention the vehicle make/model or year.

Last edited:
Don't put this job off til later, do it now or get it done. The seal is damaged and the leak can become severe at any time overheating and engine, damage can occur quickly.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Don't put this job off til later, do it now or get it done. The seal is damaged and the leak can become severe at any time overheating and engine, damage can occur quickly.

+1

Murphy's Law guarantees that the water pump leak will cripple your car on the coldest possible day when you are 300 miles from home. Change it ASAP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav

+1 I almost took out the motor on my Neon by putting off a small water pump leak. It became a very large one in a few miles! It also nearly snapped the timing belt.

It is dripping, that is major bad... If it was just seeping, run with pressure cap loose.

The best thing now is to replace, or go crazy... plug the weep hole with a threaded plug, not sure how long that would last!

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
It is dripping, that is major bad... If it was just seeping, run with pressure cap loose.

The best thing now is to replace, or go crazy... plug the weep hole with a threaded plug, not sure how long that would last!

What will plugging the weep hole accomplish? The coolant will wash away what little lube is left on the bearing and the pump will enventually seize anyway.

Thanks everyone!

Will try it as soon as funds are available.

2003 364ci Chevrolet

LS1 Mike did his water pump fairly recently. I looked over his pics and instructions a few times. I have also read the Haynes procedure as well. The trick part, I think, is going to be getting the fan apart.

I plan to replace the thermostat and clean what I can as it is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back