Ruger SR9/40C opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Im not sure what is legal in your state, but look at the 5 shot snub revolvers by Smith/Ruger.

If strickly for home defense only, get a full size service sized pistol and a long gun.

I have a jframe S&W and a Maverick 88 12ga.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: stchman
I own two SR9 pistols and they are very reliable.

If you are going to carry and want to use 9mm, get the SR9c as it is smaller and made for CCW.

My biggest complaint is that the SR line of pistols have a stupid magazine disconnect. The disconnect is easily removed, but has no business being on a CCW pistol.

I carry the Ruger LCP. It has to mag disconnect, no safety, less to go wrong. People like to funch that 380ACP isn't "good enough", whatever.

If you want to carry a 9mm compact pistol, a Walther PPS is a good choice but suffers from a problem is the backstrap is not completely secure, the pistol won't fire.

A Glock 26 is a good option as well.

No.

The Glock 26 is not a good option at all.

It is illegal in the OP's State of Massachusetts.

Recommending guns that he can't buy doesn't help him.

He can legally buy a Glock in a private sale from a MA seller. That's how I got mine. MA FFL's are prohibited from selling it to him.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: Doog
The DOJ in their "consent decree" to the Cleveland Police Department specifically told CPD officers that they were "no longer allowed to hit armed felony suspects in the head" with their Glock pistols because they could inadvertently discharge.
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif

Yeah, IF YOU DO IT WITH YOUR FINGER ON THE TRIGGER. DUH.
Actually it was explained to me by a person that has a N D. carrying a subcompact Glock in his front pocket. Look at how a semi auto with a striker fires. that little thing [ My special nomenclature for the part] that releases the striker lowers when you pull the trigger. With enough play between the frame and slide, the slide can move enough to release the striker. I wouldn't pocket carry a semi auto pistol

People have dropped loaded Glocks out of airplanes and not had them go off. If you get a case of Glock leg, you had it happen because you snagged the trigger somehow. It would take a spectacular failure for the three safety systems built into a Glock to all go at once. Not to mention that the striker on a Glock is not at full cock. When you pull the trigger, you complete the cocking of the striker and then fire it.

Now some other pistols that are striker fired that have the striker fully retracted such as the XD. Probably one of the reasons they put additional safeties on their guns.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Actually it was explained to me by a person that has a N D. carrying a subcompact Glock in his front pocket. Look at how a semi auto with a striker fires. that little thing [ My special nomenclature for the part] that releases the striker lowers when you pull the trigger. With enough play between the frame and slide, the slide can move enough to release the striker. I wouldn't pocket carry a semi auto pistol

Glocks are safe. The strikers are not cocked and require the trigger to be pulled for the gun to go off. You friend that had a negligent discharge wasn't using a proper holster. Period. The ONLY way a Glock goes off is if the trigger is pulled.

Originally Posted By: CT8

Glocks are safe. The strikers are not cocked and require the trigger to be pulled for the gun to go off. You friend that had a negligent discharge wasn't using a proper holster. Period. The ONLY way a Glock goes off is if the trigger is pulled.

Well they are partially cocked. I hear around 60 to 70%. If they were completely uncocked it would be a DAO system.

I have a couple of plastic pistols that decock Ruger (95 and a S@W P99 I kind of like the decock mode as it is add a huge degree of safety. Even though I never have carried either.

Originally Posted By: ddown
I have SR9E and love it better than my glock 17 i had that glock wouldn't fix.

Why wouldn't they fix it? I've never heard of such a thing???

I did need Ruger customer service for my SR40C. It had a problem with light strikes. They sent a shipping label in two days and had the pistol turned around in 10 days after I sent it! Since then, I've shot around 600 rounds (I reload and I keep a count based on my component consumption) with nary a hiccup. It is accurate, and easy to field strip for cleaning. If you have no experience with a 40, I'd advise you to rent one first. They are significantly snappier than a 9mm. The SR compact 9 and 40 are the same size externally. Many parts interchange as a matter of fact. I prefer a 40 for the additional punch and heavier bullet against winter clothing. SR40C is noticeably larger than an LC9, but is still able to be carried in an IWB holster. I have not noticed that the gun has any ammo type or bullets weight preference.

Originally Posted By: ddown
I have SR9E and love it better than my glock 17 i had that glock wouldn't fix.

Cool story bro. Glock fixes every gun you send them. Brand new, 25 years old, doesn't matter. One of the best customer service operations in the industry. Not much that can go wrong on a Glock either. There are only 20 some odd parts and any untrained monkey can replace any part on a Glock in 5 minutes.

Most of these "wouldn't fix my gun" stories can be traced back to people that dont know how to operate a product properly. Put the gun in a trained persons hands and it works fine. Put it back in untrained Willy's hands and he has malfunction after malfunction - not a gun problem but an untrained operator problem.

I have not had one single problem with any of my Glocks.

Ever.

They are phenomenal in that regard...unfailingly reliable...

But sadly, the OP lives in Massachusetts...not in America...so, he can't get a Glock, not easily, anyway...

I have not had one single problem with any of my Glocks.

Ever.

They are phenomenal in that regard...unfailingly reliable...

But sadly, the OP lives in Massachusetts...not in America...so, he can't get a Glock, not easily, anyway...

It's true the people's republic of Massachusetts feels that Glocks are unsafe for the public. We also cannot have a bayonet lug on an AR. We have a tremendous amount of bayonet killings here in MA since the revolutionary war ended bayonet killings have risen more than 20% every year it's a huge issue.

I was talking with a Mass. State Trooper last year...mentioned buying the Glocks...

He just shook his head. When I inquired why, he said, "we can't get those here...I can't even buy them as a LEO"...

I said that it wasn't a problem in VA...as long as you passed the background check and your credit card cleared.

He said, "That's because you live in America!"...

Truer words were never spoken...and they're from one of your own...

Last edited:
I have not had one single problem with any of my Glocks. Ever.

Nor have I. Not a single issue with all 6 of them in years and thousands of rounds.

Having a SR-9C as my edc, i can highly recommend it. I like to go to my local range once a month or so and run 100 rounds through it. Never an issue in any way. About 2,000 rounds through it and it performs flawlessly. The SR-40C does have a bit more recoil. I found I was back on target much quicker with the 9C. The only other edc I would consider would be a Glock 19.

Thought I would update you all.. I found a like new 2nd gen Glock 19 with two 15 round mags that I plan to use for my EDC. Pre ban Glocks are hard to come by in MA and I think I got lucky this gun shows little wear and had the original box and papers. I will prob send it to Glock to have any updates and have it just checked out but it looks great.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Thought I would update you all.. I found a like new 2nd gen Glock 19 with two 15 round mags that I plan to use for my EDC. Pre ban Glocks are hard to come by in MA and I think I got lucky this gun shows little wear and had the original box and papers. I will prob send it to Glock to have any updates and have it just checked out but it looks great.

Maybe I misheard, but I thought I heard that if you send a gun to Glock from MA, they are not allowed to send it back to you. In that case, find a Glock armorer to rebuild it for you or do it yourself after watching a few YouTube videos.

Maybe I misheard, but I thought I heard that if you send a gun to Glock from MA, they are not allowed to send it back to you. In that case, find a Glock armorer to rebuild it for you or do it yourself after watching a few YouTube videos.

That would be messed up.
How could they keep you from getting something that you legally bought just because you sent it to them for repair?

Camprunner said:

Maybe I misheard, but I thought I heard that if you send a gun to Glock from MA, they are not allowed to send it back to you. In that case, find a Glock armorer to rebuild it for you or do it yourself after watching a few YouTube videos

Any glock built before 1998 is legal to own in the people's republic of Massachusetts so if you send it to Glock for a rebuild Glock would have to return it to you repairs or whatever work you requested some items (slide refinish, night sights installed) are a charge item but internal parts replacement and or updating is free.

However if you have a Glock Gen 1 or 2 (Gen 3 & 4 were not MA compliant) and you send it to Glock for repair and you live in MA and there is an issue with your Glock frame like a crack Glock will not replace your Gen 1 or 3 with a 3 or 4 but with another gen 2 used PD trade in so you may have to wait until Glock gets some early models traded in.

Frankly I don't know how any of you can walk around with a Glock gen 3 or 4 without shooting your foot off! The MA attorney General says that gen 3 and 4 are just much too hazardous for the consumer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back