Clear Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there such a thing? Seems like I seen in on a youtube video or something once but I looked at autozone, oriellys, pepboys, northern tools, and some other places and have not seen anything so i was thinking it might of just looked clear on the video. anyone have any info on this?

Lots of clear grease out there. Permatex dielectric grease, Dow Corning food grade grease, and SuperLube ratchet grease, to name a few.

Isn't the regular, NOT high temp Mystik JT-6 grease that used to be sold in Wal Mart (alongside the red JT-6 HiTemp stuff) clear??

Other than that, the only other NLGI type grease I know of that is clear is the Super Lube product.

Oh sorry I guess I should of said, it was in a grease gun type, the ones that comes in the tubes, and it seems like they was using it on balljoints or tie rods

SuperLube comes in a grease gun cartridge is that's what you're looking for. I wouldn't recommend it for ball joints and tie rod ends though.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
SuperLube comes in a grease gun cartridge is that's what you're looking for. I wouldn't recommend it for ball joints and tie rod ends though.

Why's that? (I am seriously asking, NOT being sarcastic/confrontational AT ALL!)

Too much teflon, not 'tacky' enough?
21.gif

It's rated for those applications and they provide lots of information about their product if you inquire.... Very expensive for little to no real benefit plus I'm partial to molybdenum being present for those parts.

That said I'm running superlube in my greasable sway bar bushings now and it's worlds quieter than when I ran a normal lithium complex.

Yes, there is such a thing clear grease. There are different types, my question is what is the application you would like to use clear grease? and why clear?

Typically clear grease is a food grade grease if you find it in a grease gun tube. What else would you like to know? I can tell you where to get it and the cost if you are interested.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Why's that? (I am seriously asking, NOT being sarcastic/confrontational AT ALL!)

21.gif

It's a very light grease and I don't think it could handle the pressure of being inside a ball joint.

When I say "pressure," I mean that literally.

The bicycle component company Campagnolo makes some called Crystal. It is hard to find, and is very lightweight, maybe thinner than JD Corn Head grease.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

21.gif

It's a very light grease and I don't think it could handle the pressure of being inside a ball joint...

Please do some research before posting this. I personally do no choose to use Superlube in most applications, but its suitable. It IS GC-LB rated and further specs, per manufacture, are available at the following link:

http://www.super-lube.com/multipurpose-grease-ezp-82.html

Originally Posted By: buck91
Please do some research before posting this.

How about practical experience? I have tried it several times in my ratchet; it does not lubricate. The sound is the same as not having any lube at all. If it can't lubricate my ratchet, how do you expect me to use it in my car? I use Sta-Lube New Generation SL3111 in my car. I wish I could use the SuperLube; the clear appearance looks very nice by being completely unnoticeable. I give it an A+ for aesthetics.

Is vaseline not clear enough? Vaseline is suitable as assembly lube. For proper lubrication I'd go with the manufacturer recommended type grease, though. Why do you need it to be clear?

Originally Posted By: buck91
That said I'm running superlube in my greasable sway bar bushings now and it's worlds quieter than when I ran a normal lithium complex.

Yes, I also use it in my front bar's greasable poly bushings, but I bought it mainly to use in my greasable, UMI Roto Joints, which are on the end of every suspension link connected to the rear solid axle (it is actually recommended by UMI for this purpose).

I will use either the Mystik JT-6 HiTemp, or Valvoline Synpower in the front end suspension/steering parts.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Wheel
The bicycle component company Campagnolo makes some called Crystal. It is hard to find, and is very lightweight, maybe thinner than JD Corn Head grease.

How new is this stuff?

The only Campy grease I remember ever seeing/using is the old 'beige lithium' looking stuff that came in that small jar with the blue lid.
(I know, I AM old.
smile.gif
)

Originally Posted By: Wheel

How new is this stuff?

The only Campy grease I remember ever seeing/using is the old 'beige lithium' looking stuff that came in that small jar with the blue lid.
(I know, I AM old.
smile.gif
)

My local bike shop used to get it on and off in the '80s. It was a small white tube with the Campy blue logo. They haven't had any in quite a while now that I think about it. I can't even find a picture online. Maybe it is no more.

It was aimed at use in freehubs with the grease port so it wouldn't overpower the lightweight springs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back