Kendall GT-1 Fully Synthetic Euro 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
We use kendall products at my work. I can tell you the Euro 5w-30 does meet the chrysler ecodiesel spec. Ive read the back of the bottle. We also have the 5w-40 but that meets VW specs. Hope this helps. Kendall is a great product. Im using the GT-1 Dexos Currently.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pb379
Are there any threads on this oil? I've searched, but didn't find it specifically.

http://www.phillips66lubricants.com/docu...Sw%20826309.pdf

I'm curious to read your thoughts on this oil vs Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 vs Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 and any other oils that are MS-11106 qualified.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and expertise.

Compaer to M1 ESpP nothing special.
Lower HTHS, lower flash point (Gt-1 235 compare to 254 M1 ESP), pour point in M1 is --45.
Personally, I would go with m1, since it has very low NOACk (apparently 5.8%).

Y'all must not have much love for the Kendall, huh?

I am on the market for a diesel, probably BMW X5 35d.
But I know one thing, only these oils could go in my engine:
1. Mobil1 5W30 ESP
2. Castrol LL03
3. Pentosin 5W30 or 5W40, both LL-04
4. PU Euro LL

I would never put Kendall. Maybe it would work OK, but that oil to me seams as one of those oils that are afterthought for some big oil company.

Y'all must not have much love for the Kendall, huh?

Its hard to come by unless you order it online or get your service at firestone. Even firestone is slowly phasing it out. Its slowly going away but its great stuff. I never hear bad things about it here. Also, they are one of the few companies that have a synthetic blend 0w-20.

Yes, it is hard to come by as are all ACEA-C3/MS-11106 5W30 full synthetic oils.

The only oil that I've found on the shelf around here is the Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 that the RAM dealer stocks.

Thanks

Yes, it is hard to come by as are all ACEA-C3/MS-11106 5W30 full synthetic oils.

The only oil that I've found on the shelf around here is the Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 that the RAM dealer stocks.

Thanks

M1 5W30 ESP on Amazon is $109 for 12qt, free shipping.

No, I was in for trim warranty work and dealer made me an offer on it. So, I traded for a 4x4 Crew Cab, Laramie, with the Hemi and lowered my payment.
Had only 14k on it when traded..Never any issues with the truck other than trim on one side. I just didn't drive it enough to justify the extra cost in diesel..

Last edited:
Another user here of the Kendall GT-1 5W30 Euro. rossn2 is correct in that this a very popular oil for EcoDiesel owners. It specs out correctly, comes from a large, known company and is super convenient to get from PSC in PA. I pay $5.45 a quart (in 12 qt cases) delivered and have it second business day on my doorstep. Could not be easier.

With the cost of doing a 10.5 quart EcoDiesel oil change (if you use Mopar oil filters at $42-45 a pop), price is important to most. I just wish it came in 5 qt jugs as dumping 10.5 quarts in the EcoD ONE quart at a time is tedious...

Originally Posted By: klossfam
Another user here of the Kendall GT-1 5W30 Euro. rossn2 is correct in that this a very popular oil for EcoDiesel owners. It specs out correctly, comes from a large, known company and is super convenient to get from PSC in PA.

I've been looking into this oil lately as an Ecodiesel owner. I ran into some problems with their claimed approvals/specifications.

It does not have MS-11106 approval. It is said to meet or exceed MS-11106. MS-11106 requires the oil to meet the current C3(-12) specifications. It is listed as meeting C3-10, which is not the current specification.

It clams to meet A3/B4-08. The minimum TBN required for A3/B4-08 is 8.0. Per the current PDS, this oil has a TBN of 7.3.

Sorry, I spent a lot on my truck and I'll spend a couple of dollars a quart more for an oil that actually carries the MS-1106 certification. Kendall is playing too fast and loose with their claimed approvals for me.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Another user here of the Kendall GT-1 5W30 Euro. rossn2 is correct in that this a very popular oil for EcoDiesel owners. It specs out correctly, comes from a large, known company and is super convenient to get from PSC in PA.

I've been looking into this oil lately as an Ecodiesel owner. I ran into some problems with their claimed approvals/specifications.

It does not have MS-11106 approval. It is said to meet or exceed MS-11106. MS-11106 requires the oil to meet the current C3(-12) specifications. It is listed as meeting C3-10, which is not the current specification.

It clams to meet A3/B4-08. The minimum TBN required for A3/B4-08 is 8.0. Per the current PDS, this oil has a TBN of 7.3.

Sorry, I spent a lot on my truck and I'll spend a couple of dollars a quart more for an oil that actually carries the MS-1106 certification. Kendall is playing too fast and loose with their claimed approvals for me.

Ed

Every now and then here is someone who brings Kendall or whatever name it is.
It is an afterthought of oil. They constantly have issues with approvals, regardless whether it is diesel or gas oil. 5W40 cannot meet anymore A40, but apparently some nice lady at Chevron says it could, only if they wanted to send to Porsche for approval.
Not to mention putting oil that claims it meets specs, but in reality it would not meet them, in a car with DPF.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw

some nice lady at Chevron says it could, only if they wanted to send to Porsche for approval.

You mean Phillips 66, right?

Originally Posted By: edyvw

some nice lady at Chevron says it could, only if they wanted to send to Porsche for approval.

You mean Phillips 66, right?

Yeah, someone mentioned on another forum as why Kendall does not meet A40.

The Kendall does meet MS-11106. It is listed on the data sheet I linked in the first post.

Ed

MS-11106 lists a minimum TBN of 6. The Kendall is advertised as exceeding that, so good right.
PP Euro L has a TBN of 6.7.

Ed

MS-11106 lists a minimum TBN of 6. The Kendall is advertised as exceeding that, so good right.
PP Euro L has a TBN of 6.7.

It's OK as far as TBN, but that does not change the fact that it does not carry MS-11106 certification. They claim it meets or exceeds. Technically it can't meet MS-11106 as MS-11106 requires the oil to meet the current C3 specification, which is C3-12. Kendal is only claiming C3-10. That combined with the fact that it doesn't meet A3/B3-08 as claimed leaves me not willing to use a oil that claims specifications it clearly doesn't meet.

ACEA does not recognize non current specifications. Claiming anything other than the current -12 is the same as not meeting ACEA specifications.

Ed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back