tire rotation by tread wear not miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
A buddy went to a tire store with 8700 miles on his Subaru for a tire rotation. The tire store told him to wait another 1000 miles as the tread depth did not indicate they were worn enough to warrant a tire change. In addition they said one does not want to rotate too often on a all-wheel drive. Never heard that. Old school was 6K miles.

Was this at a Firestone store at 5:45pm on a Friday by chance? I'd just rotate now and do so every 6k on an awd car. Maybe even every 5k miles since it's a little easier to track.

You want to rotate them more on an all wheel drive. I agree with the 5 pm comment.

I worked with a tire tech who re-rescheduled all the TPMS comebacks to her day off.

Never heard of such a thing. For me, I'd have them do it while I was there. If I've made time in my schedule to show up for a tire rotation, I'm not about to go away without it being done, only to have to come back in a few more weeks.

And you're going to measure tread wear in a bunch of spots around the tire and across the tread on every tire. I don't think so.

I rotate my tires every 5k, actually I let Discount Tire do it, that way it's on their records that they've been rotated for tire warranty purposes.

5k if a lot of the miles are in-town where more turns cause wear the shoulder....longer for extended highway miles where the shoulder won't wear as much...

Many Falken tires include a rotation indicator on their tires. The circle will turn to a square when it's time to rotate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back