Why haven't manufacturer's extended older oci's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the last 10 years, vehicle ocis have increased. Whereas 5k miles and 6 months was the norm, it seems more and more vehicles suggest 10k miles or 1 year.

No doubt this is due in part to improvements in oil. So I wonder why manufacturers don't retrospectively increase ocis on older vehicles.

Thoughts?

Are you still following me around BRZED?

Stick around. You may learn something.

You mean like on older models after the OCI was lengthened? They do it for liability reasons and they don't want to reprint all the manuals.

I just figured you wanted a reply to your question. I should have left your post alone when I saw those two plural apostrophes in the title, but please don't tell me where I may or may not reply. I may post or I may not post if I am busy otherwise. You may want to read and try to understand my replies and you may learn something yourself. Obviously.
grin2.gif

Maybe due in part to the fact that IF they offer "free" oil changes for a period of time that by going to 10k mile intervals it would give them less opportunity to "find" other things that "need" to be worked on. Less chances to make more money. Plus they really don't make any profit margin from oil changes.
Another possibility is that the oil manufactors don't want the public to do less maintainance has well. Yes we all know Mobil 1 and Castrol w titanium gold bottle advertise 15k mile intervals in optimum operating conditions. But even they grant authority over to the car manufactors and their guidelines. Which is smart at the end of the day. Nissan still has 3750 mile intervals which is WAY too conservative. It should be changed to at least 6k miles for mostly city and short trip driving and at least 7500 for country driving. I know the VQ is hard on oil but they now spec a 0w20 for their newer motors. Which most 0w20s are rather stout and can go longer than 3750 miles.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
I just figured you wanted a reply to your question. I should have left your post alone when I saw those two plural apostrophes in the title, but please don't tell me where I may or may not reply. I may post or I may not post if I am busy otherwise. You may want to read and try to understand my replies and you may learn something yourself. Obviously.
grin2.gif

You think you are oh so clever don't you with your witty comments?

Well I am a man, and a man doesn't correct another man's apostates or puriles. Maybe that's what your fancy professors in your fancy college taught you to do. And maybe your fancy spell checker on your fancy Apple Mac does it for you. But I would never do that.

Benito - if you're gonna get ticked off when people that you don't like comment on your posts... and if you don't like having your grammar corrected... you're not going to like the internet.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Benito - if you're gonna get ticked off when people that you don't like comment on your posts... and if you don't like having your grammar corrected... you're not going to like the internet.

LOL, I should have added a wink to my last post.

Me and BRZED are just ribbing each other. I hope.

My Buick's owners manual says 3 months/3,000 miles.

I can understand the 3,000 miles, but I never could understand the 3 months part.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Why? Why would they spend time, effort and money to cause themselves problems?

This.

However, that's why there is BITOG to extend OCIs. I like to think of BITOGers as oil pioneers. Using boutique oils and going 2x, 3x, or 4x the recommended OCI to prove what is possible. Whenever anyone links to BITOG they link to a UOA of someone going over 20k mi on their oil. In my opinion the ideal OCI is when TBN goes down to 1, every time Blackstone says go 2k or 1k more miles, you do it to push the oil a little bit further. That is oil pioneering.

Hey knucklehead .. . quit posting negative stuff about police because all its going to do is start stuff
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
My Buick's owners manual says 3 months/3,000 miles.

I can understand the 3,000 miles, but I never could understand the 3 months part.

I think you forgot to read the rest of it Merk. A MY 2000 Buick would have an OLM and the manual would state that if the monitor gets accidentally reset, to go 3 mo/3k miles, then reset and resume following the OLM.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Hey knucklehead .. . quit posting negative stuff about police because all its going to do is start stuff
smile.gif

LOL. Since you asked so nicely .........

Originally Posted By: Benito
Originally Posted By: Ethan1

LOL, I should have added a wink to my last post.

Me and BRZED are just ribbing each other. I hope.

I thoughtn this was clear from the beginning. But what do I know, considering that I lack any sense of humor.
confused2.gif

Yeah I'm just messing with ya !!
smile.gif

I am glad you are on here.
Just be careful starting certain topics. A minefield out there my friend.

Back on topic... I really think the manufactors are wanting to "see" their new cars more often for services to be done in addition to oil being changed.

I think carmakers would love it if they could force car owners to have their cars serviced only at contracted dealers/service stations. And probably frequently! VW said years ago they wanted to have their cars come with sealed engine compartments to prevent anyone other than an authorized mechanic from working on the car. This has obviously not yet happened, but the frog can surely be boiled a little longer until there won't be any resistance.

General motors (Australia) have tried all the tricks over the years, pointing out that untrained people could leave a brake line off, so should only be dealer, or at least a certified mechanic...tried to get car modifiers out of the picture by declaring the design like of vehicles 50k miles, and they should therefore not be re-engined, blah blah.

So many people I know will take a day off work and drive 150 mile round trip 2-3 times a year to "protect their warranty" as the dealer has suggested same.

As to the original point, if you backspec a viscosity, you can get some CAFE credits.

Backspeccing an OCI no such benefit.

But funnilly, some of the makers are prepared to extend the service interval (e.g. Mitsubishi allowed 15,000km servicing on their diesels when Toyota still insisted 5,000), knowing that business owners would think in favour of the reduced downtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back