Maxlife Full Syn in 03 Saab 9-3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a saab 9-3 with the GM 2.0T Ecotec. Book calls for 0w-30 Mobil 1. I always like change so Ive used the 0w-30 M1, ive used 0w-40 M1, GC 0w-30, 5w-30 M1 and now have in there 5w-30 M1 HM. car has 130k on it now and burns prob 1/2 quart every 5K miles. Going on a 3k mile trip next week and I was thinking of trying out the Maxlife Full syn 5w-30. I have their Maxlife in the trans and its literally been a night and day differance in there since I got the car at 90k. I'm in love with the Maxlife ATF. Any thoughts? i'm usually an M1 guy but willing to try something new out.

I haven't used Maxlife in many years, but that was my go to choice in my old Camaro. I don't see any reason to not use it.

Originally Posted By: Mkos1980
I was thinking of trying out the Maxlife Full syn 5w-30

It's pretty good, I am using it in my old Lexus

Compared to all the High Mileage oils available, it has the best specs.

I've had it in the XJ in my sig for around 3K now, with an XG8A Ultra, hasn't leaked or burned any at all, sounds good, only a little brown colored (not that that means much).

Did the 2.0L Ecotec SAAB turbo have a complex PCV system? I know the SAAB 2.3L did and it would be a major cause of oil leaks and burning when it failed. SAAB also redesigned the system more than once to prevent future problems.

AS for using Maxlife engine oil, I say go ahead. It was great when I used it in an old Honda Accord.

I run Rotella T6 in 2.3L Saab
laugh.gif

But, I have two jugs of Maxlife waiting for when it rolls over 140,000 miles
smile.gif

After 2002/3 or thereabouts, the 9-3 got a boring old GM engine in it, and I think thats probably when the sludge issues ceased.

The 9-5 (in 4cyl versions) kept the old Saab H engine until 2009 or thereabouts, along with some boring GM V6.

Once the Saab lost its namesake engine, it wasn't a Saab anymore, despite anyone's best intentions.

Diesel engine oil would be ideal, however, given these use hot turbos and small oil sumps, located near a hot exhaust. Guess thats what happens when GM takes over a once-legendary company, who had the highest rate of customers RETURNING for another vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back