Beetle TDI Battery Fuse Box Melting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DriveHard
Its the self destruct mode so it can't be tested for emissions. Did you get it close to an emissions testing station?
Lol this is way too old to be a part of that recall.

Got a call from the mechanics shop (German Motors). It needs a new fuse box and I believe they're fixing the connections. They'll also charge the battery. Once they do that they can test the alternator.

I asked why it did it and he said it's very common and just a bad design, a cheap fuse box. Also that a poor connection can make it melt.

Got it back, wish I knew all it needed was a fuse box and would have spent the 10 minutes putting in a new one. I sent it to the mechanics because I feared the alternator cooked it.

Alternator and battery tested good. $175 later-

1zlrrk0.jpg

Middle wire doesn't have the stress relief crimped properly. The "wings" should be pushing back down into the insulation, like the two red terminals to its right.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Middle wire doesn't have the stress relief crimped properly. The "wings" should be pushing back down into the insulation, like the two red terminals to its right.
Alright I went out there and smashed it with the crimper end of a pair of wire strippers.

2w2lcfl.jpg

Great to see your car is fixed. Now get your title cleared up. File a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the bank will straigten up once they are contatected by the Feds. Same story except ours was a release of lein on a house. Link http://www.consumerfinance.gov/

Originally Posted By: dishdude
$175? That's a deal!

Was it an OEM VW part or a Dorman/URO Parts one?

European cars aren't known for the greatest wiring and they do have sensitive electrical systems. As flawed as the OEM piece might be, it's probably better than a copy.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Originally Posted By: dishdude
$175? That's a deal!

Was it an OEM VW part or a Dorman/URO Parts one?

European cars aren't known for the greatest wiring and they do have sensitive electrical systems. As flawed as the OEM piece might be, it's probably better than a copy.
I believe it's aftermarket.

Which I couldn't care less since the car is going up for sale soon. Hasn't been driven except for the day of this mishap for 2 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back