Asus N-66 only 175-200 out of 300 mbps

Status
Not open for further replies.
TWC upgraded their speeds at no additional charge today and also gave us a new modem.
I have an Asus N-66 router.

With the laptop connected directly to modem I get 300 - 340 MBPS.
But with wireless I initially got only about 100 MBPS, and then after online research I selected channel bandwidth to 40 instead of 20/40 and this gets me about 175-200 mbps.

However I know that this router IS capable of 300+ speeds and some users have turned on HW acceleration to get that. However I can NOT find it under any tabs in the GUI of the router.
Also turning traffic monitoring off is supposed to enable Hardware acceleration. That also I cannot find anywhere (how to turn it off).
QOS is off. (which also is supposed to enable HW acceleration)

Perhaps the GUI has changed since those internet posts?

What can be restricting the speeds this much?

(FYI before speed upgrade, i got exact speed (60mbps) both wired AND WIRELESS with same router)..

Before setting up router with new modem I did a factory reset and verified FW is latest.

Also: I DO get full UPload speed
Any help / advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
how can this be? People have gotten 300 or even 500 mbps (perhpas with other FW - i didnt really check) with even the N56....

by changing bandwith to 141 now i am getting 200 mbps on the 5 ghz channel...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
by changing bandwith to 141 now i am getting 200 mbps on the 5 ghz channel...

Is your 5 GHz range congested? If so, try to find a channel that's not occupied by another network nearby. Xirrus Wi-Fi inspector can help you map it out.

Where I am, there are so many 2.4 as well as 5 GHz networks, the interference definitely affects my own speeds.

Are you talking the negotiated connection speed between your computer and router or actual throughput. They are 2 different things.

In case anyone wanted to know how their router stacks up...

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/bar/119-5-ghz-profile-dn?see=MAX

The N66U is old and slow by today's standards, alas it's still a nice router in many ways.

I can only dream of having a 340 Mbps internet speed.
smile.gif

I have the 5 Ghz set to 161, and 2.4 Ghz set to 1
Do you think those settings/channels are ok by looking at our neighborhood? (see below)

Presumably, you are Hobbit? If so, there is another network on the same channel (161) that's fairly strong, so I would try another channel that's not occupied by anyone else.

However, if you're already getting around 200 Mbps, then it sounds like you've reached the max capability of this router anyway.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Are you talking the negotiated connection speed between your computer and router or actual throughput. They are 2 different things.

Just what I see on speedtest.net

Wired to modem: 340 or so
Over wifi: 200 max

That is probably max you will get. There is a lot of overhead with WIFI. Look at the negotiated speed that your computer has connected to the router at. It is would be in your network status in Windows.

What do you get when you wire yourself to the router?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Presumably, you are Hobbit? If so, there is another network on the same channel (161) that's fairly strong, so I would try another channel that's not occupied by anyone else.

However, if you're already getting around 200 Mbps, then it sounds like you've reached the max capability of this router anyway.

Yeah sorry I am Hobbit, and IDK why but I changed to 149 and speed dropped to 125 MBPS (tested 3 times). switched back to 161 and got to 200 again.. weird.

and IDK why but I changed to 149 and speed dropped to 125 MBPS (tested 3 times).

Well, as your Xirrus screen shot shows, you have several strong neighbors utilizing channel 149, so that's probably why. You are interfering with each other if you use that channel.

Well, OK, so it's definitely the router's wifi radio and not its WAN port that is the bottleneck. At least we've established that.
smile.gif

I guess the wifi radio in your device/laptop could be a limiting factor, too. I know in theory these adapters connect at 300 Mbps, but real throughput is going to be lower, even if you were to get a better router.

BTW, your upload speed is faster than my download speed. Now that is depressing.
frown.gif

It pretty cool to achieve such speeds however I must ask what kind of stuff do you actually notice the difference besides downloading files?

I was curious what sites enhance experience as they just jumped myself from 20 to 100Mbps but I notice very little difference with anything. The majority of my items are wired as wireless only gets 20Mbps max in my Wifi.

yeah I think what one notices is probably when DLíng large files such as movies / videos etc... but what I like is that sites LOAD instantly...
Also HD videos on youtube instant no buffering and I have a smart TV and a roku3 that are hardwired so they will do amazon movie streaming / YT streaming a lot better I'd imagine.

Also, IF there is bad congestion and let's say speeds are cut in half (which hasn't happened since they did some upgrades to our node/hub)... I am STILL getting like 150 MBPS and THAT is awesome, for no additional cost...
I am thinking of powerline adapters... to get get full 340 speed and still not have LONG wires to the laptop (which I hardly ever move...)

iphone6 is getting about 100 mbps btw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back