What is it with all the goat apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while back I had some free credit to spend on apps.

I was surprised how many seemingly nonsensical apps do to with goats there are.

I was reminded of this today by a news story about a 32 year old lawyer in Florida sacrificing a goat and drinking it's blood.

What is it with the goat fascination right now? Is it devil worship related? Are they targeting the kids through apps and getting em young like McDonald's happy meals?

Started a few years back with videos of fainting goats going viral, then someone made the goat simulator video game, then more recently the screaming goat videos (many of which were actually sheep) went viral... And a meme is born.

One of the other sites I'm on, meh.com , has one forum member each month chosen as that months scape goat, and anything that goes wrong that month is of course that persons fault. They even get a goat badge next to their name.

A high school kid asked me how we ever got through high school in our day without a smart phone. I responded that it was just the reverse in those days, that we were smart and our phones were stupid. He then responded that he liked his smart phone because he did not have to think, any more. Case closed.

I have two fainting goats....about 1.5 years old. Dexter and Masuka.

_20150420_192730.jpg

Here they are as babies:

IMG_20140828_181800621.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre
Started a few years back with videos of fainting goats going viral, then someone made the goat simulator video game, then more recently the screaming goat videos (many of which were actually sheep) went viral... And a meme is born.

One of the other sites I'm on, meh.com , has one forum member each month chosen as that months scape goat, and anything that goes wrong that month is of course that persons fault. They even get a goat badge next to their name.

Scape Goat!

ROFLMAO!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
A high school kid asked me how we ever got through high school in our day without a smart phone. I responded that it was just the reverse in those days, that we were smart and our phones were stupid. He then responded that he liked his smart phone because he did not have to think, any more. Case closed.

LOL

I wouldn't have believed the stories of kids unable to make change but it just happened to me.

Something that was $0.49 was charged as $1.49. I went back. They voided the $1.49 in the register and took out a dollar bill.

So far so good.

Then they counted out 49c. I said just give me the dollar. They gave me the whole $1.49.

Then they rung up the charge correctly as 49c. I gave them the 49c and they were surprised I had a dollar bill in my hand and congratulated me on being right.

Really cute chick though and I think she counted the 49c correctly.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I have two fainting goats....about 1.5 years old. Dexter and Masuka.

_20150420_192730.jpg

Here they are as babies:

IMG_20140828_181800621.jpg

Dexter / goat on the left in the current pic reminds me of someone. Can't put my finger on it.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
giphy.gif

Ok, I'm beginning to see the goat appeal now. Errm let me rephrase that!

I'm sure part of it for the kids is also about being in tune with a lot of others around the globe. That's not a bad thing although some seem to act as if it is.

Originally Posted By: Benito
Originally Posted By: earlyre

Scape Goat!

ROFLMAO!
crackmeup2.gif

It's all done in fun too. Everyone knows we're not picking on them maliciously. The first goat was the user who put the kickstarter over the top... (As in, it's all his fault that we actually have to do this website...)

LOL

I wouldn't have believed the stories of kids unable to make change but it just happened to me.

Something that was $0.49 was charged as $1.49. I went back. They voided the $1.49 in the register and took out a dollar bill.

So far so good.

Then they counted out 49c. I said just give me the dollar. They gave me the whole $1.49.

Then they rung up the charge correctly as 49c. I gave them the 49c and they were surprised I had a dollar bill in my hand and congratulated me on being right.

Believe me, this did not just start with the last generation.
Even as a kid, I might have bought something for, say, $1.33 and given the cashier $5.33 so I would just get singles back. 80% of the time the cashier would stand there looking confused or ask why I didn't just give them the fiver. And, I got incorrect change all the time...it just wasn't so obvious without a computer readout telling you what it should be. If I brought it up, oftentimes I would get a blank stare back and decide to just drop it so I could go about my business.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

LOL

So far so good.

Even as a kid, I might have bought something for, say, $1.33 and given the cashier $5.33 so I would just get singles back. 80% of the time the cashier would stand there looking confused or ask why I didn't just give them the fiver. And, I got incorrect change all the time...it just wasn't so obvious without a computer readout telling you what it should be. If I brought it up, oftentimes I would get a blank stare back and decide to just drop it so I could go about my business.

I made a purchase at Walmart that came to $10.16. I handed the young lady cashier a twenty, a dime, a nickel and a penny. She handed back the coins saying that the twenty would "cover it". I said that I wanted a ten back. She said we would not be able to know what the change might be until she rang it up. I said go ahead and give it a try. She did. When the change reading on the cash register came out to exactly ten dollars she was completely surprised. She said, "How did you know?".

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

LOL

So far so good.

I made a purchase at Walmart that came to $10.16. I handed the young lady cashier a twenty, a dime, a nickel and a penny. She handed back the coins saying that the twenty would "cover it". I said that I wanted a ten back. She said we would not be able to know what the change might be until she rang it up. I said go ahead and give it a try. She did. When the change reading on the cash register came out to exactly ten dollars she was completely surprised. She said, "How did you know?".

Just to stick with a hackneyed phrase I will quote Clarke's Third Law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

What is it with the goat fascination right now? Is it devil worship related? Are they targeting the kids through apps and getting em young like McDonald's happy meals?

After Goat Simulator was such a success (and had multiple DLC addons since release), everyone wanted to jump on the goat-wagon.

My wife worked in a local govt office years ago and had a subordinate who was supposed to handle some kind of billing. I think there was a 10% charge when people were late, and this gal would have to get her calculator out and calculate the ten percent every time. The wifey watched this for some months and finally told her she just needed to move the decimal point one place to the left and shouldn't use a calculator. Showed her that ten percent of $50.00 was just $5.00, see how easy that is?
The gal looked horrified and confused, but pretended to agree that was a much simpler way to do it.
After that, she always tried to hide the calculator from my wife when she was calculating the 10% fees.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back