Michelin AS3 owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought them incase I felt lazy about getting my winters on and it's a secondary car... did drive them through last winter and surprisingly they were pretty good here in west michigan where we get a lot of lake effect snow.

regarding "something's wrong with your suspension", that certainly isn't the case and the camber/toe are spot on. I'll get a pic of the tire melting i'm talking about.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
My pilot sport (as?) Are wearing terribly. About 30k mil and my belts are showing on both edges of front tires. Had to put 50 psi (and I thought 35psi was noisy) to slow the wear down, 33 just wasn't enough. Oddly enough the turanzas that came with the Lexus did not have that wear pattern or as much noise. I'm also stuck in the no rotation zone, directional tires with a 225/255 staggered set-up. From my experience the michelins tend to be noisy, but I only ran performance tires from them.

If they are directional then you don't have the tires being discussed in this thread.

Also, shoulder wear is not a tire problem but an inflation, suspension and/or alignment problem. It sounds like there is something wrong with your vehicle, which is also why they are noisy since the wear is irregular.

I blame psi and low pro for noise, and factory camber was a warning from the tire place. An alignment did nothing in terms of wear. The suspension is solid. I'll just blame the tires, and move on.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BoostFrenzy
I did notice the shoulder nearest the most outer treadblocks are "melted" looking on the fronts, but tread is even to the touch and wearing evenly across the tire inspecting while on on a lift. I'm voting defective, but nowhere to turn.

Dont call DT.. just go in.

Tell the counter guy these tires are pretty new with less than 10000 miles but the sound is driving me nuts and the treadblocks look melted
Michelin said I should have them inspected.

Then sit back and let them do their thing.
Would be helpful if you have a Michelin case number to give them.

I understand the whole All-season vs summer tire thing.

I dont have a performance car but a major strike against summer tires is the massive swings in temperature. Plenty of days in the 50's and nights in the 20's here.

Where a good UHP all season will be fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Everyone said their opinion, and what I would ask is: why you have on 335 AS3 and not PSS?
It is widely known that AS3 is terrible in the snow (which is obvious looking at the tread).

I run PSS's on the G35 and AS3's on the BMW. The PSS's don't work at all in the cold regardless of snow or ice. The AS3's work much better in cold weather.

For the family cruiser that also can carve some canyons, the AS3's deliver a good percentage of the performance along with being a little quieter and having longer life. We typically don't go much farther north than North Carolina, and almost never see snow.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Everyone said their opinion, and what I would ask is: why you have on 335 AS3 and not PSS?
It is widely known that AS3 is terrible in the snow (which is obvious looking at the tread).

I run PSS's on the G35 and AS3's on the BMW. The PSS's don't work at all in the cold regardless of snow or ice. The AS3's work much better in cold weather.

For the family cruiser that also can carve some canyons, the AS3's deliver a good percentage of the performance along with being a little quieter and having longer life. We typically don't go much farther north than North Carolina, and almost never see snow.

I drove on the PSS's once or twice in the snow. It was an adventure that caused me to park the car for the winter, LOL!!!
grin.gif

Yes, even my BFG Sport Comp 2s were VERY 'greasy' in today's upper 40*F to 50*F, wet weather.

The BFG g Force Super Sport all season wrapped wheels are going to have to go on sooner than I thought.

Originally Posted By: BoostFrenzy
About ready to throw them away and replace with cinturato p7 all seasons,

If you're going to get new tires, consider B-stone RE970 as well. I've been very happy with them overall, although my car only has half the HP yours does.
smile.gif

They've been wearing quite evenly and no noise issues to report.

What tires did you have on there before the AS3? Any issues with them, too?

PS: I'm in GR area as well.

Belle tire inspected, checked alignment, reblanced (.50oz off) and rotated today.

Michelin offered me 40% off a new set of a differing tire model as no unusual wear or mechanical problems were found and the tire shop agreed they were quite noisy.

After the rotation the noise is greatly reduced so I will drive them awhile yet and see what happens in 5k miles.

Still not as quiet as the cinturatos or pilot super sports, but not much percievably louder either.

Now to hit up advance for the special on castrol edge
wink.gif

I've had these tires on my WRX for about 25k miles and while they weren't especially noisy at first they have gotten noisy in the last 5-10k miles. FWIW.

Good to hear the rotation seems to have helped for now. Reports back if the noise comes back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back