Detroit DD15 and 60 series 12.7 oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reviving this a little bit. I have checked all the Detroit Lube manual stuff and 10w30 that meets 93K218 spec can be use in everything from the MBE engine, thru the Series 60, right on up to the DD15. Model year irrelevant, emissions spec irrelevant. Now, different model years do have different OEM recommended drain intervals. Dealers are not well known to actually crack open the lube manual. They are just as subject to their own preconceptions as anyone else. They can't even seem to get coolant right in these motors. I had to have the dealer do a total flush and fill of my coolant, which is ELC and does not use SCA's, because some moron at the dealer tested for SCA's and decided to dump in a couple of quarts of SCA to the coolant, which crippled it's effectiveness. They acknowledged the error and did a total flush and fill. Their ideas on what oil to run is on the same level. It always amazes me how many techs at dealerships do not stay up to date on tech bulletins and information. An owner has to do the legwork and research and know what is going on.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
It always amazes me how many techs at dealerships do not stay up to date on tech bulletins and information. An owner has to do the legwork and research and know what is going on.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. I believe the same goes for car/pickup dealers, too. It feels good being knowledgeable about my equipment, but it gets frustrating having to educate or argue with the techs who aren't always up to snuff.

I had a pm service done on my 12.7 liter Detroit Series 60 last week at a Petro Truck Stop and I sent in an oil sample for analysis. This is the first time I've sent in a used oil sample, the info sheet I filled out was addressed to Mobil Delvac. Once the results get back to me, I'll post them in the UOA Section here.

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
I would try the new 15w30, the best of both worlds, shear stability and a small fuel savings

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=413394&docFormat=PDF
When you deal with a fleet of $50,000.00 engines marketing comes in second. It takes lots to change what works to something else that may or may not work. Let others prove it out. Fleet managers have their own formula to squeeze the last drops of blood from a turnip that doesn't have any. Most all are that good. As a service tech I learned much about prolonging equipment life and lowering costs by listening to the managers.

And OTR truck operators have the additional problem of availability on the road. 15w40 is always available, 10w30 is becoming more common. 15w30 will always be a niche oil primarily for local P&D operations and such. OTR trucks will not convert to using that particular oil due to availability problems on the road. They don't have the luxury of playing oil games as those who stay around home turf do. 10w30 is the factory fill for commercial heavy diesels now, is more commonly available, and will be the new standard eventually for most OTR diesels.

I finally received my results back, but it doesn't look anywhere as detailed as those that are done by Blackstone Labs that I see folks posting in the UOA section here.

They said my "Dirt and Silicon" numbers were slightly elevated; The guy who did the PM Service at the Petro Truck Stop told me it was the first time he had ever taken an oil sample; I know he took the sample from the drain plug at the bottom of the oil pan, but I don't think he took it mid stream.

I checked my air filter, which is very clean, and the seal around it is also super tight. My thought is he took the oil sample as soon as he opened the drain plug.

My Semi only has 35,000 miles on it's motor, so I'll do another sample at my next PM. I currently have 8400 miles/165 hours on the oil at this point, I'm doing PM's at 15,000 miles or 300 hours as prescribed by my engine's warranty.

The oil's additive numbers still looked nice and high (Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40)with the sample.

Originally Posted By: Dak27
I finally received my results back, but it doesn't look anywhere as detailed as those that are done by Blackstone Labs that I see folks posting in the UOA section here.

They said my "Dirt and Silicon" numbers were slightly elevated; The guy who did the PM Service at the Petro Truck Stop told me it was the first time he had ever taken an oil sample; I know he took the sample from the drain plug at the bottom of the oil pan, but I don't think he took it mid stream.

I checked my air filter, which is very clean, and the seal around it is also super tight. My thought is he took the oil sample as soon as he opened the drain plug.

My Semi only has 35,000 miles on it's motor, so I'll do another sample at my next PM. I currently have 8400 miles/165 hours on the oil at this point, I'm doing PM's at 15,000 miles or 300 hours as prescribed by my engine's warranty.

The oil's additive numbers still looked nice and high (Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40)with the sample.

Hey Dak, I'm guessing the sample went to ALS Tribology in Kansas City under the Mobil Delvac Accutrack banner. I've gone back to using those kits myself for my truck.

With only 35K miles on that reman engine, the high silicon isn't a surprise. How high is it (parts per million)? Maybe the guy who caught the oil could have done better, but good chance it's still getting washed out from the reman.

Edit- the delvac kits give you all the important info you need. If you were really stretching your drains, TBN/TAN would be good info, too. With your 15K drains, you're not going to come close to depleting the TBN. With a Series 60 from the late 90's, you could double the interval with room to spare.

Just build a trend and watch for problems. The Delvac kit gives you soot, fuel, coolant, water and silicon along with wear metals. Everything but TBN and TAN. It's a good analysis for a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Originally Posted By: Dak27

Hey Dak, I'm guessing the sample went to ALS Tribology in Kansas City under the Mobil Delvac Accutrack banner. I've gone back to using those kits myself for my truck.

With only 35K miles on that reman engine, the high silicon isn't a surprise. How high is it (parts per million)? Maybe the guy who caught the oil could have done better, but good chance it's still getting washed out from the reman.

Edit- the delvac kits give you all the important info you need. If you were really stretching your drains, TBN/TAN would be good info, too. With your 15K drains, you're not going to come close to depleting the TBN. With a Series 60 from the late 90's, you could double the interval with room to spare.

Just build a trend and watch for problems. The Delvac kit gives you soot, fuel, coolant, water and silicon along with wear metals. Everything but TBN and TAN. It's a good analysis for a reasonable price.

You're exactly right, Dusty, this is the facility that did the sampling. I will continue to have them taken to establish a trend with my motor. And thanks for your insight on why my dirt/silicon numbers being slightly elevated.

Best regards, Dak

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Dak27 - for meaningful comment please post you UOA result

Hi Doug,
I've been running like mad for the last few weeks, -happily, I add.
smile.gif

Best but as soon as I get the time, I'll find out how to post my UOA numbers. I assume I should post them in the UOA Section(?)

Best regards, Dak

Reviving this a little. Instead of the Schaeffer 15w40 blend I was using, I went with their 10w30 HDEO blend. Will be changing oil this week and sending in sample. Curious how it will compare side by side on the report with previous 15w40 samples of the same brand. Detroit pre-EGR factor rebuilt 60 with 492K miles on it.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Reviving this a little. Instead of the Schaeffer 15w40 blend I was using, I went with their 10w30 HDEO blend. Will be changing oil this week and sending in sample. Curious how it will compare side by side on the report with previous 15w40 samples of the same brand. Detroit pre-EGR factor rebuilt 60 with 492K miles on it.

I'm interested in your UOA, for sure, TT!

I can certainly tell the Delvac Elite 10w30 makes my cold starts easier. This is my first fill with it. I'm also going to do a UOA at the end of it's run. So far, zero consumption. Delvac products seem to work really well inside my Detroit thus far.

I have heard nothing but good about the Delvac 10w30 Elite blend. A friend who has a 2015 Prostar with a ISX in it has been using that since the first oil change about a year ago. The Mack dealership near me has a fast lube shop started stocking bulk Delvac 10w30 Elite a little over a year ago and have been getting more and more requests for it from owners that have engines across the OEM landscape. I bring along 10 gallons of the Schaeffer I am using to that Mack dealership to have them change my oil for me, just more convenient than doing it at home. I just stop in during a regular run past them and have them change it out. Just a simple oil change as I prefer to do my own truck grease regimen every 5000 miles. If I wasn't using the Schaeffer stuff, I would probably go with the Delvac Elite.

Consumption was a concern with me switching the Series 60 with about 470K miles on it from 15w40 to the 10w30. Actually, consumption dropped just a little. Usually, the engine would use about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon between changes. This time, it used about 1/4 to 1/2 gallon. And it does run smoother with the cold weather. Now the UOA will be the kicker. UOA got sent in yesterday.

Schaeffer 711 10w30 blend, factory rebuilt Detroit 60 493387 miles on rebuild, 20100 miles on oil 2 qts makeup oil

Iron 28, Chrom 2, Lead 6, Copper 1, Tin 0, Alum 1
Sodium 22, Potassium 2, Magnesium 985, Calcium 1494, Phos 1276, Zinc 1573, Moly 68
Vis @ 100c 11.53 TBN 8.14 Oxi 16 Nit 8

Compared to a previous Schaeffer 700 15w40 blend, sample with similar miles on oil, same 2 qt make up oil

Iron 28, Chrom 1, Lead 6, Copper 0, Tin 1, Alum 1
Sodium 14, Potassium 5, Magnesium 821, Calcium 1137, Phos 1109, Zinc 1394, Moly 42
Vis @ 100c 14.2 TBN 6.83 Oxi 12 Nit 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back