Favourite Brake Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your favourite brake cleaner brand? I've tried a few types and I noticed some differences.

I've noticed some of them evaporate really quickly, and some of them evaporate very slowly.

Some of the sprays are also more powerful than others.

I've probably used Gunk the most, and it evaporates quickly, but has a weak spray compared to other cleaners.

WalMart brand. I think I get the can with cfc's or something, not really sure. It has an awesome blast but if you let the can sit for a couple weeks the pressure must leak out or something because the blast turns into a stream.

to me they are all the same: non-chlorinated, and still gets the job done.

I don't care about brands when it comes to brake cleaners, so long as they are reasonably priced.

(*I buy them by the case, so whatever comes cheep when I approach my favourite parts store...sometimes Gunk Solder-seal green, sometimes CRC. Occasionally I'd go to WM and stock up on supertech when I'm out of regular stuff).

Favourite? You must be one of those Canadians that spell every word like flour.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Silk
For drum brakes, water, preferably hot water.

I use the garden hose. Brake dust and fluid should rinse off unless there is a leaky wheel seal.

+ 1 for water (with dish washing detergent). Probably legal even in California.

I did buy some 3M brake cleaner because I saw it recommended so much, though I didn't really see the point.

Now I've used it, I really don't see the the point.

It appears to be a volatile organic solvent degreaser, and is probably useful as such, BUT:-

Brakes generally aren't greasy, because they're, um... brakes, y'know?

Mostly I want to wash DUST off the brakes, partly because it MIGHT interfere with brake operation, but mostly because it MIGHT KILL ME.

For that I want something that'll wash the dust away, and dry slowly so any remaining residue doesn't immediately become airbourne.

A volatile organic solvent propelled by pressurised gas is therefore EXACTLY what I DONT want.

With water I can use a high volume of liquid repeatedly, and I can collect the runoff (along with most of the dust) in a bowl for direct disposal down a street grating.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
^^^ALL brake pad/shoe compounds still contain asbestos there??
21.gif

Dunno if that's directed at me, but, assuming it is:-

IF asbestos was the only concern, it'd be a concern for me if only MY brake pads/shoes contained asbestos. Wouldn't require them ALL to contain asbestos. (?)

I don't know if my brake pads / shoes contain asbestos. It COULD be that ALL imported cheapo Chinese brake pads/shoes are (were: I dunno how old the pads/shoes are) exhaustively tested for asbestos and rejected if they contain it, here in Taiwan, in Europe, and in the US, but I wouldn't, and don't, bet on it.

I wouldn't, and dont, assume that non-asbestos brake dust is a bracing lung tonic either. There's hundreds of years experience of asbestos hazards. There probably isn't the same accumulated exposure history with the substitutes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
^^^ALL brake pad/shoe compounds still contain asbestos there??
21.gif

Dunno if that's directed at me, but, assuming it is:-

IF asbestos was the only concern, it'd be a concern for me if only MY brake pads/shoes contained asbestos. Wouldn't require them ALL to contain asbestos. (?)

I don't know if my brake pads / shoes contain asbestos. It COULD be that ALL imported cheapo Chinese brake pads/shoes are (were: I dunno how old the pads/shoes are) exhaustively tested for asbestos and rejected if they contain it, here in Taiwan, in Europe, and in the US, but I wouldn't, and don't, bet on it.

I wouldn't, and dont, assume that non-asbestos brake dust is a bracing lung tonic either. There's hundreds of years experience of asbestos hazards. There probably isn't the same accumulated exposure history with the substitutes.

OK, understood.

It's just that asbestos is generally known as the WORST (HIGHLY carcinogenic/toxic) of any compound ever used for brake friction material.
That's why I was asking if it was still used there, that's all.
wink.gif

I've had good luck with Supertech and whatever Menard's sells that can be had on sale. WM is just a pain because they have to card you and treat you like you're cooking meth in an RV.

I probably shouldn't go there all dirty and unkempt with a terrible neck itch anymore..

I use simply green full strength for rotors and a terry cloth.

Advance auto brake cleaner works great.

Gunk non chlorinated can make you high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back