Oil's affect on motorcycle gear shift feel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
Originally Posted By: Atesz792

Sorry man, but all one can do about this post is laugh... absolutely no facts straight in there.

No problem... 15 cSt is 15 cSt but what we enjoy about the uniformity synthetics over the
varying mineral is most clear when you expose the same grade to different temps...

pop-6-2.jpg

c2ag_550x311_3_Viscosity%20graph.png

The chart above does not reflect any reality. One just has to go over to the VOAs and UOAs in this forum to show it isnt true. I do agree, not based on anything, as it doesnt interest me enough, that a syn MAY flow a little better in extreme cold. Then again some syn is a little light then a conventional, but that example in the photo, sorry dont agree.

Most people do not ride below 50 degrees so not important. High temp vis shows the same syn vs conv.
Example, there is a VOA on HD360 conventional oil and one on Mobile 1 synthetic motorcycle oil. They both have exactly the same viscosity hot and cold. There are countless similar results if one cares to look.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Originally Posted By: Atesz792

Sorry man, but all one can do about this post is laugh... absolutely no facts straight in there.

No problem... 15 cSt is 15 cSt but what we enjoy about the uniformity synthetics over the
varying mineral is most clear when you expose the same grade to different temps...

pop-6-2.jpg

c2ag_550x311_3_Viscosity%20graph.png

The chart above does not reflect any reality. One just has to go over to the VOAs and UOAs in this forum to show it isnt true. I do agree, not based on anything, as it doesnt interest me enough, that a syn MAY flow a little better in extreme cold. Then again some syn is a little light then a conventional, but that example in the photo, sorry dont agree.

Most people do not ride below 50 degrees so not important. High temp vis shows the same syn vs conv.
Example, there is a VOA on HD360 conventional oil and one on Mobile 1 synthetic motorcycle oil. They both have exactly the same viscosity hot and cold. There are countless similar results if one cares to look.

Exactly.
What does cold flow matter when the vehicle isn't operated in conditions that will take advantage of the better flow characteristics.
And how does pouring oil from a bottle correlate to an engine. Oil in a bike engine is pumped. Gravity has no effect except when draining into the sump however if the oil is being pumped the engine is running and the oil is getting heated up by engine.
Regardless it's irrelevant in a real sense. Sure on paper there are advantages using a thinner oil however in reality the durability risks far outweigh the possible improvements.

For example. Larry suggests using m1 0w-30 in a shared sump motorcycle.
He implies he spends time or works in a bike shop. So he can source parts cheaper than most of us as well as have a skilled mech fix any worn or broken parts. And considering he implies he's after max hp a 30 grade will free up a couple of hp in a small engine like his. Which is great if racing and each hp counts,and again if racing durability isn't a huge deal. The components need to last a race. Not 100000 miles.
So yes Larry and his advice is typical for a race bike which has a shop behind it.

Us here in the real world want our bikes to last as long as possible with minimal service thus saving us money. So because the application and situation is remarkably not even close to similar his recommendations are absolute and utter nonsense.
Even if what he says is true and he gets 6hp by using thinner oil is that 6 hp worth the wear that is inevitable. For a racer it's worth it. For a pleasure rider it's not.
We are concerned with durability. Not max hp. And especially not at the expense of shorter component life.
And moly will glaze the clutch over time. That's what it does. Reduces friction. Considering a clutch only works with friction it's foolish to use an oil with high moly levels.
If Larry would use his head for even a split second he would realize his recommendations are not going to in any way improve component life and in a real sense shorten engine,clutch and transmission life.
A 0w-30 is an automotive oil. It in no way is formulated for use with a wet clutch or in a transmission. It's formulated for an engine.
Knowing that I don't know how in good conscience Larry recommend this grade for every motorcycle thread that comes up. It's almost as if he thinks all bike engines are the same and thus can use the same oil he does.
Big twins are built loose because the large Pistons expand and contract to a far greater degree than his itty bitty Pistons.
And there isn't an engine block per say like an inline. And I'm just scratching the surface. Larry obviously is ignorant to anything other than the bike he posts pics and magazine articles of.
So Larry. Because engines in bikes are vastly different and have different needs it's not only irresponsible but stupid to recommend an oil as a one size fits all.
Viscosity is very important in a cold v-twin. And a 0w is too thin at start up. The piston is loose in the bore and will consume oil until the piston tightens up.
Maybe in yhe Honda you post articles about that's not an issue,but it is an issue with an air cooled large bore v-twin.
Your obvious lack of any experience with this type of engine means your recommendations could in reality damage a persons bike. Then what.
You've imply there is a bike shop behind you and that's great. You can ride the edge. However the reason people come here is to find an oil that will help their machines last forever,and you just don't have the best interest of the equipment at heart.
So you are actually doing this site a dis-service posting your tripe. All it does is confuse the folks who really don't know,and angers those who really try to make this a place to come for accurate info,which you don't do.
I think your here because all the Honda sites banned you because of the nonsense you post,as they should. Since your here anyways why not learn something. Your obviously clueless and could really be an asset to that shop by learning,instead of just spouting what you overheard a mechanic say while you were cleaning the inventory.
Instead of being the problem why not be part of the solution and absorb the info posted. Then instead of playing the role you could actual be real.
It's too bad you aren't local. I really mean that. I'd happily come by that shop and straighten out the wrinkles in your game.
But I fear you'll just keep trolling with your recommendations that don't consider differing operating conditions and different engine types.
I have no doubt in a Honda engine a 30 grade is fine. However the clutch and tranny are a different story. And that recommendation isn't suitable for those applications.
But you just can't absorb that thru your skull.
Sadly

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Yep, I've never pulled a motorcycle tranny apart...have been asked to look at a couple in pieces.

Your lack of any hands on experience is why you were duped into believing the gears in the
photo were pitted when its clear they were chewed from interference... enjoy your kick back
Mr.Phd Cager whats in pieces is your credibility...

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Viscosity is very important in a cold v-twin. And a 0w is too thin at start up. The piston is loose in the bore and will consume oil until the piston tightens up.

Clevy check your engine... someone has stolen your oil control rings...

Interesting theory LoneRanger but the trouble with subjective unscientific basis founded on
"oils tried" is the fact that one riders notchy oil is another riders smooth as butter oil...

Trouble with the clutch drag theory is that even when the clutch drag is adjusted to a minimum there is a difference in shift smoothness.

I'm with LoneRanger on this and his subjective results may have some scientific basis if it's looked at. I just switched to Delvac after using Delo 400 for many changes and the Delo shifts smoother that the Delvac. Motul 5100 was very good also. Slightly better than the Delo.

Originally Posted By: Qwiky

Interesting theory LoneRanger but the trouble with subjective unscientific basis founded on
"oils tried" is the fact that one riders notchy oil is another riders smooth as butter oil...

Trouble with the clutch drag theory is that even when the clutch drag is adjusted to a minimum there is a difference in shift smoothness.

I'm with LoneRanger on this and his subjective results may have some scientific basis if it's looked at. I just switched to Delvac after using Delo 400 for many changes and the Delo shifts smoother that the Delvac. Motul 5100 was very good also. Slightly better than the Delo.

Ok, I got it now after reading all these posts. I replied before reading any of BLS's posts. I haven't been here for a long time so didn't know the guy. I realised this guy is clueless when he tried to write off shift quality with clutch drag. The first thing I said to myself was a change of oil doesn't cause the clutch to change its adjustment point so how is this clutch drag issue relevant. I can see this guy does not posses any logical reasoning and learning capability. I've seen a race bike builder argue electrical engineering with me regarding using a 1 watt resistor instead of 1/4 watt to give more power when defeating the Suzuki timing retard in the lower 4 gears and the top gear speed limiter. When the resistor just sets up a voltage reference to a comparator or AD converter. Never laughed inside so much. There are plenty of them around.

Your lack of any hands on experience is why you were duped into believing the gears in the
photo were pitted when its clear they were chewed from interference... enjoy your kick back
Mr.Phd Cager whats in pieces is your credibility...

Those Dunning Kruger t-shirts really suit you.

Absolute rubbish, and the pictures that you keep posting don't make it true.

Quote Kew Engineering and their photo... they are a lubrication consulting
firm and not a marketing department...

"Synthetics are derived by a different refining process to offer better performance owing to
their consistent molecular structure and purity."
fig_4_synthetic_vs_mineral_oil.jpg

From another thread, reagrding specifically PAO

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3918176/Why_mixing_PAO_oils#Post3918176

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Originally Posted By: miro
PAO base oil is know for purity /equal molecule length/.

Contrary to popular belief and promotions, most PAOs are not uniform, same size molecules. PAO 4 is about 90% of 1-decene trimer (C30) and about 10% of the tetramer (C40).

PAO 6, the most commonly used grade in 5W-X and 10W-X oils, contain the trimer and tetramer in almost equal amounts, plus some pentamer (C50). A molecular range of C30 to C50 is hardly uniform.

AN-5, most diesters, and many POEs have a much tighter molecular weight distribution than PAO 6.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
But what about the visual representations of PAO being neat little spheres of constant size versus the golf/bowling ball/occasional cube representation ?

Marketing!
grin2.gif

When you consider that motor oils contain many different components including multiple base oils and additives, they have a very wide range of molecular sizes. So who cares if one of the base oils is uniform?

Tom NJ

So KEW are deliberately dumbing down their marketting FOR EFFECT, not fact...and have hit their target well.

Just realised, and am now LOLing that it's a "photo" of oil molecules...I missed that.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Clevy check your engine... someone has stolen your oil control rings...

Forged pistons have been known to be noisy on a cold start up until they get warm and expand with heat even on liquid cooled engines. The noise is because of more piston to bore clearance. During this warm up time there is less tension on the rings which can lead to oil burning. If you do some looking around you will see this is not an uncommon experience with owners of forged piston engines.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
During this warm up time there is less tension on the rings which can lead to oil burning.

If oil is getting into the combustion area instead of oil scraping back into the pan then
its possible the second ring was installed incorrectly with the taper pointing towards the
combustion chamber instead of correctly pointing back to the pan...
hrdp_0910_02_z+piston_ring_tech+.jpg

Having built a few hundred vintage performance engines in my day, I can assure you I know how piston rings work and how they are installed. Google forged pistons and oil consumption and you will see it is not all too uncommon for forged piston engines to consume a little bit of oil.

you will see it is not all too uncommon for forged piston engines to consume a little bit of oil.

How much oil consumption are YOU experiencing and how did YOU accurately measure the amount???

Last edited:
you will see it is not all too uncommon for forged piston engines to consume a little bit of oil.

How much oil consumption are YOU experiencing and how did YOU accurately measure the amount???

The forged piston LT1 currently in my car has 11:1 domed pistons and uses about 1/2 quart per 2,000 mile OCI since new. I have used VR1 10w30 since new. I also have the forged piston noise on cold start up.

the gear durability is linked to the HTHS, not the "gravity flow" as you call it.

Even Honda report gear pitting below an HTHS of 3.1.

Gear durability is linked to the additive package for it is primarily what creates an oil’s film strength... the additive package is what contains the extreme pressure anti-wear components...

Well why on Earth would JAMA have identified issues with HTHS oils below 3.1 if viscosity had nothing to do with it ?

All 4 identified some to severe pitting based on HTHS...like the pics I showed that you decided were impact damage.

Ahhh, you are thinking, in your convoluted way that hypoid diffs need ep additives, so it's those that protect the gears aren't you ?

Well here's AGMA's view on protecting gears (American Gear Manufacturer's Association)...

http://mach.jlu.edu.cn/jxcx/standars/AGMA-ANSI/AGMA 9005-E02-Industrial Gear Lubrication.pdf

Note, "pitch line speed" and viscosity...

Here's one of their studies on gear pitting versus viscosity.

http://www.nrel.gov/wind/grc/pdfs/201502...itting-life.pdf

Note that

Quote:
The influences of lubricant viscosity and additives on gear wear were evaluated by Krantz and Kahraman [7]. Gears tested to study surface fatigue were evaluated to quantify gear wear rates as influenced by lubricant viscosity and additives. The gears of that study were case-carburized and ground finished. The wear rates when gears were lubricated by a 9-centistoke oil were about 10 times lower than the wear rates when lubricated by a 3-centistoke oil. The measured gear tooth wear rates strongly correlated to the lubricant viscosity
\

Viscosity (in the case of non newtonian oils, high shear viscosity) provides the cushion that protects the gear tooth surface from the effects of fatigue (like potholing on a road).

And here's a paper which shows more on pitch line pitting in gear sets...

http://www.geartechnology.com/issues/1112x/morphology_of_micropitting.pdf

Has some nice pictures, and NO, they aren't due to bent shift forks.

I also noticed varying gear shift quality with different oils. The first oil I tried in my Ducatis (900SS & 748) was notchy from first fill (Total 10w40 car oil). Next fill was a 5w50 (Mobil1 & Biltema). After a just under a seasons use on both bikes the gear change became notchy quite suddenly. The next oil change I put 10w60 (Castrol edge in the 900SS and Biltema in the 748) Gear change in both bikes was better and both are OK after a summers use. The 748 has been thrashed round the Isle of Man and still feels good on what is supposedly a budget oil.

Would you guys arguing about off-topic details kindly bugger off and let people post some useful info? Thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks

That's why I'm here, to try and find out. I had initially surmised additives but the way the gear change suddenly got notchy now leads me to think viscosity. The behaviour of the bikes over the long term with the 10w60 will be interesting. I ride as long as the roads are clear for snow so I need an oil that can cope with the cold. My oil change strategy is to change the oil in the spring when things start to warm up which may be why I noticed a sudden change in the gear change. My thinking is that as the oil breaks down I'll be going into the cold bit of the year so won't need the higher viscosity as much.

It's definitely a function of viscosity. In the mornings, the zx14r is almost notch less before warming up. On the other hand, it's a strong notchy feeling when the motor is hot, like after idling at a stop light in 95 degree heat, which is common here in Florida.

That would figure except for one hiccup. After a fine day thrashing the 748 round the IoM and one final balls out run over the mountain with the engine good and hot the gearchange, and the rest of the bike for that matter, was beautiful. It really seems to like this 10w60 stuff. Up to that point I would have agreed.

It will also be interesting to see how the rocker survive as the Ducati superbikes suffer from rocker flaking.

Will be interesting to see how it holds up too...

Here's a mobil blend guide (not recipe book) that gives what is likely in terms of direction for base oils and Viscosity Improvers for a range of PCMOs.
Mobil%20Viscosity%20Mix.jpg

FWIW, I've been able to find annecdotally that the edge 10W60 has an HTHS of 5.3, so it's ballpark for discussions sake.

The 10W60 has a comparative bucket load of Viscosity Modifiers in it which should make it shear prone, but has about 20% thicker base oil viscosity than the 5W50.

I'm positive that it will shear, but think you will be in a better space at the end than the 5W50s AND certainly passenger car 10W40s.

Passeger car engine oils have typically quite a bit of VM in them, and US style ones in particular not the strongest shear stability in those VMS.

Just on the subject, here's another Mobil blending guide, for MC applications.
mobil%20small%20motors.jpg

Note the use of thicker basestocks and less VM treat rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back