Royal Purple??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Justin251
I hadn't thought of that. Then who does Valvoline get their basestocks from?

I'm starting to think addpack is more important than basestocks. But that's probably wrong too. lol

Addpacks are more important IMO...to a point. A weak addpack is a waste of better basestocks but even an average basestock can perform extremely well with a stout addpack.

As far as Royal Purple, they are their own victims of bonkers advertising gimmicks and HP claims. RP's VOA are not very different from Ashland but the price is (even for their vanilla flavors). Take any other branded product and you can see differences for the most part, see the family groupings. There just is no separation between RP vanilla and Ashland and if you remove the purple dye, and pour them into unmarked bottles, you can't tell which is which. The more boutique oils are strong but, again, that is just chasing frog-hairs to me.

Or the same add pack as synpower but with mobil basestocks.

That's certainly possible, too, but we still don't know for sure. If we want to use it, use it. All I know is that up here, the price is no worse than the competition, it has a long drain warranty, and it's a viable dexos1 choice, and has a few other interesting viscosity options.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
HAHA judging from your VOA ....what really drives up the price of RP is the aluminium and iron they put in their bottles.....

Trace metals show up in many Virgin oils. Check PQIA and you will see this isn't uncommon for any brand. 1 or 2 PPM means nothing.

Originally Posted By: Garak

That's certainly possible, too, but we still don't know for sure. If we want to use it, use it. All I know is that up here, the price is no worse than the competition, it has a long drain warranty, and it's a viable dexos1 choice, and has a few other interesting viscosity options.

Also Justin251. RP meets Dexos specs and has a decent Noack. Regardless of where they get the basestock, it is likely on par with the rest of the OTC synthetics. It is at least a group III stock or a blend of group III, IV, etc..

Almost bought a case of RP 0W40, but then the impulse died down after a few days.

Sure, it's fun to to try different oil and tinker with my M3, but RP costs 45% more than my current M1 fill, and surely RP ain't going to reduce the wear by 45%...so I removed the oil from my Amazon shopping cart.

Motor oil is a commodity like gasoline, and I'm sure no one here will pay 50% more on a gallon of gas that only yield marginally better MPG or power just because the gas is purple.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: Garak

Also Justin251. RP meets Dexos specs and has a decent Noack. Regardless of where they get the basestock, it is likely on par with the rest of the OTC synthetics. It is at least a group III stock or a blend of group III, IV, etc..

I agree with that. I have some rp 0w20 api ready to go in my accent that I got from Walmart on clearance. I have full confidence that it will work great.

HAHA judging from your VOA ....what really drives up the price of RP is the aluminium and iron they put in their bottles.....

Trace metals show up in many Virgin oils. Check PQIA and you will see this isn't uncommon for any brand. 1 or 2 PPM means nothing.

My goodness, who even imagines they could ever tell the difference between one oil with one PPM of almost anything and one without?

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
I hadn't thought of that. Then who does Valvoline get their basestocks from?

I'm starting to think addpack is more important than basestocks. But that's probably wrong too. lol

Addpacks are more important IMO...to a point. A weak addpack is a waste of better basestocks but even an average basestock can perform extremely well with a stout addpack.

As far as Royal Purple, they are their own victims of bonkers advertising gimmicks and HP claims. RP's VOA are not very different from Ashland but the price is (even for their vanilla flavors). Take any other branded product and you can see differences for the most part, see the family groupings. There just is no separation between RP vanilla and Ashland and if you remove the purple dye, and pour them into unmarked bottles, you can't tell which is which. The more boutique oils are strong but, again, that is just chasing frog-hairs to me.

Nonsense.

A voa cannot read organic adds,so you only see part of a picture. You don't get all the info,which is why I think doing a voa is a waste of money unless it's part of a comprehensive oil monitoring system.
So making an assumption that both are the same based on only seeing part of the picture is dumb.
Not that I'd pay rp prices however their oils aren't bad by any means.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
My goodness, who even imagines they could ever tell the difference between one oil with one PPM of almost anything and one without?

Well you can measure it with the right equipment, but it certainly means nothing.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Well you can measure it with the right equipment, but it certainly means nothing.

Seriously, there has to be some sort of margin of error. One ppm of anything is awfully small to measure reliably and accurately...

Trying to remember as I am not at work.
RP is owned by Calumet, one of the largest base stock providers in the US.
Lubrizol is owned by Warren Buffett
Motor oils are generally 4 component types.
1. Base oils, the are generally at least two which allows for visits from the screw up fairy.
2. Detergent inhibitor packages from one of the chemical companies. In the US, Lubrizol, Afton, Infineum (Shell and XMO), Oronite (Chevron) .These approved packages cannot be modified as they have passed API and other testing.
3. VM
4. PPD
Base oils come in 5 types with hundreds of options.
Everyone, private labels and majors all have the same supermarket. Everyone has to make money.
Markerts pick their target market and sculpt their message to meet it.

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
Almost bought a case of RP 0W40, but then the impulse died down after a few days.

Sure, it's fun to to try different oil and tinker with my M3, but RP costs 45% more than my current M1 fill, and surely RP ain't going to reduce the wear by 45%...so I removed the oil from my Amazon shopping cart.

Motor oil is a commodity like gasoline, and I'm sure no one here will pay 50% more on a gallon of gas that only yield marginally better MPG or power just because the gas is purple.

Are you sure about that? There's gotta be some reason to buy the stuff.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: DWC28
Trying to remember as I am not at work.
RP is owned by Calumet, one of the largest base stock providers in the US.
Lubrizol is owned by Warren Buffett
Motor oils are generally 4 component types.
1. Base oils, the are generally at least two which allows for visits from the screw up fairy.
2. Detergent inhibitor packages from one of the chemical companies. In the US, Lubrizol, Afton, Infineum (Shell and XMO), Oronite (Chevron) .These approved packages cannot be modified as they have passed API and other testing.
3. VM
4. PPD
Base oils come in 5 types with hundreds of options.
Everyone, private labels and majors all have the same supermarket. Everyone has to make money.
Markerts pick their target market and sculpt their message to meet it.

AFAIK however, Calumet does not make PAO or POE, so they would need to buy those base stocks from XOM or its ilk. On the other hand Calumet DOES make Group III.....
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

AFAIK however, Calumet does not make PAO or POE, so they would need to buy those base stocks from XOM or its ilk. On the other hand Calumet DOES make Group III.....
21.gif

http://www.calumetesters.com/synthetic-automotive-lubricants

http://www.calumetesters.com/

So they make POE products but not PAO. Interesting, thanks for the link
thumbsup2.gif

This quote confirms the lack of PAO:

Quote:
Our CalEster products can be blended with Calumet Group I-III mineral base stocks to enhance properties when higher performance is required.

Well I noticed a big diffenece after using Valvoline White Bottle for 12 years to Mobil1 HM. As well as when I was topping off GC into my car I noticed a change after two bottles and 3k miles.

Originally Posted By: 285south

Well I noticed a big diffenece after using Valvoline White Bottle for 12 years to Mobil1 HM. As well as when I was topping off GC into my car I noticed a change after two bottles and 3k miles.

What was the difference you noticed? Was it a negative or positive experience?

Royal Purple and Lucas have the most copper corrosive gear oil around. The ASTM D-130
rating is as bad as it gets for yellow metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back