BMW S85 oil report

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think of this oil report?

BMW M5 V10 S85
60000miles
Oil is 7000miles
Oil is Castrol TWS 10W-60

They noted a high count if lead which is my concern.

Have you run any race gas or additives in it? Both lead and copper (particularly lead) are a bit elevated which could point to bearing material if this engine uses the traditional tri-metal bearings and not the bi-metal aluminum ones.

Do you have the cartridge filter out of it that you could inspect for particulate? You'd be able to see copper/lead flakes if there was any serious bearing wear.

Sad news dude, you engine is having problems with the piston rod bearings, its a well known issue in the BMW S85/S65 engine family and there are revised parts for it which allowed for greater clearances if im not mistaken.

Im almost confident your engine is starting to have problems with piston rod bearings wearing out.
Not your fault, not the oil fault, its a design issue AFAIK.
You can keep running it but it will eventually fail in the long term and cause some serious damage so if you plan to keep it then i'd suggest replacing the parts with the revised ones.

You can Google it for more information.

Last edited:
They tested the cartridge filter and said there was no evidence of larger lead particles.

This leads me to believe that the wear is fairly new and not severe enough to condemn the motor immediately.

I did run 1 can of Liquimoly octane boost for 1 tank of fuel about 4000 miles ago, would this has increase the lead count at all?

There was another one of these engines a while ago with very similar readings, upon inspection the bearings had gone through the lead layer and were into the copper.
I would get in there ASAP and check it out, these are not just slightly elevated lead levels.
AFAIK this engine uses tri metal bearings not aluminum shells

Looks like you need a major overhaul on the engine. If not you will soon need a new engine.

This issue has come up on here in the past as mentioned.

Surely the absence of larger particles in the oil and oil filter mean the wear is in its early stages, as in not bad enough to damage the crank?

Have read a lot of guys see metallic filings in the oil filler cap and before they replace bearings and the crank is unharmed...

It is probably just starting to wear out but you never know how long it will last and you will probably not drive the car confidently since you know it has problems and might blow the engine at any time so the best option would be to get the engine checked and replace the parts IMO.
Then you will enjoy the car again and drive without being worried which is how it should be.

Last edited:
I am planning on getting it done within the next week but have to still drive it until then.

Just hoping not to damage the crank...

I wouldnt worry about it but i definitely would avoid flooring it or even driving at high RPMs . . . its just one week only. After the repairs you can unleash the beast again. Hahahaha

And dont forget to update us. Pics if possible.
grin.gif

Last edited:
What oil do you suggest I run, BMW suggest 10W60 which I would like to stick to. In South Africa coldest day might be 10C and hottest would be 40C.

BMW just switch to Shell oil, Twin Turbo Power, but should I not look at Liquimoly GT1 possibly?

I'd just stick with 10W-60 since that has always been the recommended oil for the S85 but im pretty sure any euro oil in the 40 weight (5W OR 0W) can handle it without any problems at all in normal conditions, unless it is tracked hard which i would understand why they specced it with such a heavy oil.

Originally Posted By: Gary57
I am planning on getting it done within the next week but have to still drive it until then.

The crank is much harder than the bearings, you'd have to nuke or spin a bearing to damage the crank. You can probably safely baby it until you get them changed. Please post up some pics of the bearings/tear-down if you can, would love to see the physical side of this.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Looks like you need a major overhaul on the engine. If not you will soon need a new engine.

Major overhaul? No, just needs new bearings rolled into it. Sadly, somewhat common on these. They're race motors put into streetcars, and driven like streetcars. They wear bearings quickly. We recommend rod bearings on S54/S65/S85 every 40-50k.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Gary57

The crank is much harder than the bearings, you'd have to nuke or spin a bearing to damage the crank. You can probably safely baby it until you get them changed. Please post up some pics of the bearings/tear-down if you can, would love to see the physical side of this.

I may be doing a set on an S54, depending on if the customer buys the car (was asked by a customer of mine for some info on an E46 M3 they're looking at - ~120k with no history, rod bearings was one of the first items on the list). If/when I do another set, I'll make sure you get pictures.

Originally Posted By: KenO

Major overhaul? No, just needs new bearings rolled into it. Sadly, somewhat common on these. They're race motors put into streetcars, and driven like streetcars. They wear bearings quickly. We recommend rod bearings on S54/S65/S85 every 40-50k.

If we are talking about main bearings, then it's a major overhaul.

Rod bearings? Piece of a cake.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Originally Posted By: KenO

If we are talking about main bearings, then it's a major overhaul.

Rod bearings? Piece of a cake.

Yes, just rod bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back