Is there an easy way to pick a good motor oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without being a chemical engineer , That is . I'm much more of a lurker than a poster and I wouldn't be able to hold my own in a conversation with many of the members here. In fact, I'll admit that I find it a bit intimidating that so many people here are so knowledgeable about motor oil. So, I have to ask is there an easy way for an average person to determine whether or not a motor oil is any good? Do the additives which manufacturers use really make one oil sugnificantly better than another? Thanks!

-Valentine

I think it just comes down to brand preference. Pick your fave brand and you're good to go! I've always liked Castrol and Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: jsfalls
You really can't go wrong with pretty much any of today's API SN oil, just close your eyes and grab a bottle lol

Exactly. Picking a good motor oil is much easier than picking a bad one. Just stick to major well known brands and you'll be OK.

It really depends on what you drive, where you drive, and how you drive. Most API oils are quite similar for quality. If it is a newer vehicle, go with what the manual says, and make sure it has the proper API rating for your engine. Nothing wrong with looking for a sale on oil...If you have an older engine, extreme cold or hot driving temps, towing, makes a difference on selecting an oil.

Last edited:
Look in your owner's manual and see what requirements and certifications your vehicle requires (such as 5w-30 and Dexos1).

Pick an oil that meets those requirements. Name brands are the easiest to find and you know you are getting a quality product. But pretty much any oil that meets your manufacturers requirements will do a good job.

I will add that its always a good rule of thumb to buy based off of your budget. I am saying that what is good for somebody else may not be the best option for you. I've been in the same position you've been. I can tell you what everybody here has told me & that is don't over think your choices. You can buy based on price or by availability. I also second looking at the link to PQIA where you can get a grasp of what oils perform well based off of your cars needs are in the owners manual.

Unless they say otherwise (and they do), any oil tested by pqia that gets passing marks is good motor oil. They will keep you on track where specs and industry recognized testing is concerned.

http://www.pqiamerica.com

pqia = Petroleum Quality Institute of America.

Buy a brand name oil, and choose the manufacturer specification you want.

This Lubrizol comparison tool helps.
https://www.lubrizol.com/apps/relperftool/pc.html

I think the very best oils meet MB 229.5,
after that I like ACEA A3/B4 or A5/B5 for fuel economy or Dexos-1,
after that SN.

For example my car requires the European standard A3/B3, but I often buy A4/B4 because it's a little better, just as easy to find and doesn't cost much more.

It depends on where you live too. In Australia and Europe it's easy to find ACEA oils, but I hear it's more difficult and expensive in North America. I think the Dexos standard looks like a good oil, hard to find here, but it should be easy as pie to find there. You don't need to drive a GM car to run Dexos oil.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Mobil.Chevron.Valvoline.Shell that will be a start. Here is a link that will give you some info on which oil are up to specs.PQIA There are many quality oils on the market.

Your average DIY oil changing guy does not need to look through PQIA. Just pick a name brand oil that meets the vehicle's specs. Don't buy oil at the Dollar Store. Walmart has a wide selection of high quality motor oils.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Unless they say otherwise (and they do), any oil tested by pqia that gets passing marks is good motor oil. They will keep you on track where specs and industry recognized testing is concerned.

http://www.pqiamerica.com

pqia = Petroleum Quality Institute of America.

Almost all the oil that gets failing marks from PQIA is some odd brand people have never heard of and only sold in Arkansas. Or similar.

Originally Posted By: cat843
Originally Posted By: CT8
Mobil.Chevron.Valvoline.Shell that will be a start. Here is a link that will give you some info on which oil are up to specs.PQIA There are many quality oils on the market.

Your average DIY oil changing guy does not need to look through PQIA. Just pick a name brand oil that meets the vehicle's specs. Don't buy oil at the Dollar Store. Walmart has a wide selection of high quality motor oils.

Eanie, meany, miney, moe.....there just not a 'best" oil. Any oil on the Walmart shelf that meets your vehicle specs.....will do the job.

Originally Posted By: Valentine
I'll admit that I find it a bit intimidating that so many people here are so knowledgeable about motor oil.

crackmeup2.gif

Ironically enough, most advice you've received is wrong because it is incomplete.

Only a couple of people have said the following which is all you need to know:

- Consult your owners manual for the official manufacturer specifications
- Buy something that officially meets the manufacturer's specification
- To be sure that the oil that claims to meet the manufacturer's specification actually does meet it, then buy from the major brands: Mobil, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, Motorcraft, Chevron, Havoline, Kendall, Castrol, Shell, even SuperTech

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Hang out on BITOG for a year, then you MIGHT be able to pick a good oil.
There are some differences in motor oil. Some barely meet the spec, others exceed the spec greatly. Full synthetics almost always blast through the basic specs and make it up to higher specs such a dexos1. Euro specs beat everybody but might be too thick for some applications, yet always usable. A good rule of thumb is always choose a dexos oil to get to a higher performance level.

Yep, read your owners manual (OM) and follow their recommendation.

If it is just an "average" car that only requires API SN (or SM) oil, then any name brand Dino SN oil will work fine. However, if you want a better oil, then I agree with lubricatosaurus, and suggest you get a Dexos-1 (and SN) oil. Easy to find and a higher performance level is required to meet this standard.

As you go up in manufacturer standards, you tend to also go up in add pack and in the base oil used. That's why I recommend studying and choosing a few manufacturers standards that you like as a simple way forward.

For MB 229.5 oil, I have only seen this oil as a full synthetic, with a heavy add pack.

For ACEA A3/B4 or Dexos, I have only seen or heard of these oils as either full synthetics or semi-synthetics.

For API SN, this is easy to find as a dino oil. But all of the above should still be SN rated, so of course it also exists as a semi or full synthetic.

SN (with the correct viscosity required by you manufacturer) is your base requirement, then you can add other manufacturer's standards on top of this SN base (e.g. Dexos) to improve the quality of the oil used. Stick to name brand oils, plus a good filter, and you can't go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back