2014 F-150 XLT rear brakes grind ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the friend that takes our junk and does lots of hauling in his 2014 quad can XLT F-150 with the 5.0 V-8 stopped in this morning before lunch. Said he heard a grinding noise. Truck has like 34,009 miles on it. He is a lead foot driver at times. New factory Motorcraft rotors and pads went on during my lunch hour. Told him to come see me at end of month as his front pads are a iffy 5/32. When it's time for brakes, it's TIME!

2j7i1f.jpg

14wunb6.jpg

Wow, so uneven. Looks like the slide pins are not moving or the little "ears" on the pads were stuck in the caliper. All the wear is going on to one pad.

Unless it was a warranty issue and required MC parts, he will likely regret not going with aftermarket. My F150 did not work very well with MC rotors and pads (I changed them twice) so I went with Raybestos. The MC rotors and pads would develop "pulsing" and cause the steering wheel to shake when braking from highway speeds. The Raybestos never did that.

Hope it works out for him...

The slide pins was the problem. Lubed them up with Sil Glyde and new slides where pads ride in. We'll see how it goes. I drove it for a while after the new rotors and pads and no more noise so I think it will be alright

Did you use Motorcraft or OEM? They are different. If the short part numbers began with BR for the pads and BRR for the rotors, they are not OEM.

Could it have been warrantied? My parents' 2013 Focuscape wore the rear brakes out in ~36000 miles. They got it all for free under Warranty.

That's definitely used up.

Side note: There's a video of Boeing test stopping a jumbo with brake pads that look just like that worn out one.....worth Googling.

Well, when I drove it into my lift the brakes wee definitely grinding and stopping power was NOT up to snuff. Anyways, I will google that Boeing 747 video. Thanks Chris Meutsch
smile.gif

Over 60k miles on the OEM brakes, front and rear, for my '11. When I did them the pads still have plenty of meat just got sick of the rotors "warping"

Similar to how the rear brakes on my '04 F150 failed. However, in that case, the brake lining material broke off from the backing plate (as in there was a loud cracking noise one day when backing up - the brake lining material fell out, and I got a backing plate and rotor like the one shown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back