F150 head gasket....it just don't quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this truck is cursed. One thing to another. Got the manifold fixed, passenger side, and I was greeted by oil underneath the truck before going to the OU game Saturday. Got back from the game and got under it. Sure enough, there is oil dripping from the last exhaust manifold bolt right onto the starter and then to the ground. Did some internet research and turns out that this is common for that production run. It is claimed that the head gaskets themselves were improperly installed by Ford at the factory. Plus, since three of the studs snapped off, all that drilling trying to extract the studs on that particular head, didn't help anything either because it wasn't leaking before. Replacing that head is not an option right now. So, I'm looking for alternatives or if anybody else had this same problem and what did they do about it. I HATE to say it, but I'm looking into Lucas oil stop leak additive. Truck has been on a diet of nothing but M1 EP 5W-30 since 2003 when I got it. Thinking of going to a thicker oil or a high mileage oil. Truck has only 74K miles on it, but obviously sits a lot, covered, but outside. Was looking at some STP products, but Lucas seems to get better reviews. There is no way that that particular stud the oil is leaking from, could be lose and that's causing oil to drip out? I don't think so, but I thought I'd ask.

Yes to everything. Runs smooth, cranks easy, not losing any oil on the dipstick. Seems it has the typical right hand oil seep from the head gasket. What I'm wondering is this going to get worse? I mean, it took 73K miles to get to this point. I don't want to be driving out of town and then this thing starts dumping oil all over the place.

If the oil is running down the bolt, which is ABOVE the head gasket, are you sure it is the gasket and not that the hole was tapped/drilled too deep in the head and punctured something it shouldn't have?

Good point Overkill. I often tend to look back at what repair was just done if the issue has now appeared after the work.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Hmmm....didn't think of that.

If this is in fact the case some high temp thread sealant would be a "solution" that doesn't involve pulling the head. Take the stud out, put the sealant on, re-install.

Just to let ya'll know what's happened so far....took the truck back to the mechanic that replaced the exhaust manifold and showed them of the leak. They crawled around and said leave it with them for the day. They called later that evening and said it was fixed and come pick it up. Got there and they told me it was the rear valve gasket that was leaking and didn't charge me anything. That was about 3 weeks ago and so far, no leaks. I just find of funny how it all of a sudden started leaking the minute I picked it up after the exhaust manifold was replaced. Wondering if they may have broke something or forgot to tighten up something when it was being repaired and especially since they didn't charge anything. But, all is working great. Took it on a 4 hour trip towing a SeaDoo and it didn't lose any oil at all.

Great news
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back