FRAM tough guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how far have you folks that use the FRAM tough guards used it? I am on my 2nd oil change with a TG-3614 filter. No issues so far. I recall reading that member Stang5 I believe used one in a transmission for like 15 or 25k. Can't recall. Any info and advice is appreciated. The 2 MC-910S filters I have left will be donated to BlueOvalFilter since he is helping those less fortunate.

Use on a transmission is different than on an engine. Transmissions don't have combustion blow-by, etc to contaminate the filter, so on a transmission they will last a lot longer.

As you probably know, the TG is rated up to 10K miles. I suspect it could go a few thousand more if the engine is real clean inside.

When I used to take apart the Fram 7317 oil filters the TG's were up there in terms of filter media surface area. When I took the price into account, I ended up recommending Fram TG or Nissan OEM oil filters. That was nearly 10 years ago though.

Last edited:
I have used TGs from time to time and have always been pleased. I have one on the Altima right now. I agree with Zee0six that the Fram tough guards can go even longer than 10k miles in a known clean motor. Clevy takes them to 20k miles routinely. I think for $5.97 at Wally world they are a very good value.

Originally Posted By: car51
So how far have you folks that use the FRAM tough guards used it? I am on my 2nd oil change with a TG-3614 filter. No issues so far.

What issue would you be looking for to let you know you've gone too far on a filter? Would you know somehow that it went into bypass? Start-up rattle?

thanks

AZJeff: don't know, but would feel fine pushing one to 15k or so. No way to tell if something wrong if that's what you were askinf

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
So how far have you folks that use the FRAM tough guards used it? I am on my 2nd oil change with a TG-3614 filter. No issues so far.

What issue would you be looking for to let you know you've gone too far on a filter? Would you know somehow that it went into bypass? Start-up rattle?

thanks

I don't think you would know. An OCOD would easily go 10k in a clean engine doing mostly hwy miles. I think you have to judge many factors to make a determination if you wanted to go past what the filter is rated "up to". I find filters to be a small expense overall so while I would be willing to run a TG to 10k or a XG to 15k in my vehicles, I see no reason to stretch it beyond that.

I like Tough Guards a lot. Bought a TG8A yesterday for the next run on the Jeep. Will be taking a TG3600 off the Concorde tomorrow that has been on there 10k.

I have always been happy with the Tough Guards I have run and cut, the 99% filtration and the stellar starts I get with them are a real bonus.

The TG is a great filter at a bargain price. They are packed with media too. There is a night and day difference between the media's surface area in a PH16 vs. a TG16.

The silver matches the Jeep too.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

thanks
VERY good question. I wonder how one knows when a car "likes" an oil.

Funny how Fram used to be bashed so badly and now it's Purolator.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Purolator needs to dial up its direct marketing campaign here.

It has worked wonders for FRAM.

Seems Purolator has tried it's best to direct market on this site but those darn tears are really hard to market.

Originally Posted By: shrooms
Funny how Fram used to be bashed so badly and now it's Purolator.
whistle.gif

Tears will do that for you.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Purolator needs to dial up its direct marketing campaign here.

It has worked wonders for FRAM.

Seems Purolator has tried it's best to direct market on this site but those darn tears are really hard to market.

LoL ... guess torn media isn't in demand like it use to be.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back