Fix or cut losses advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hollow

Known and current issues:
-Missing front bumper (from accident #4 that resulted in the state finally revoking the elderly driver's license)
-Shocks and struts are shot.
-Bad camshaft sensor and/or interrupter magnet.
-Something messed up in ABS system, I've just pulled the fuse right now.
-Sporadic issue with driver's front brake dragging, not sure if a caliper is going bad or related to the larger ABS issue.
-Parking brake does not work.
-AC does not work.

Thoughts? I'm starting to think the Olds is going to nickel and dime us pretty bad, but something more reliable is going to take our entire savings account to purchase, and that makes me nervous.

Something that might make you broke vs something that will? Easy decision. Keep the Olds.

-A/C doesn't work, it's October, it's only getting colder.
-ABS doesn't work, early 90's GM ABS is so bad I'd rather have the fuse pulled.
-Parking brake doesn't work, oh well.
-Front brake dragging, take the calipers off, anti seize the slide pins.
-All the other problems, junk yard trip, or check craigslist, lots of different models share parts.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Drive it until it stops driving, then if what stops it is something cheap and easy to fix, then do it.

In your current financial situation this is probably the ONLY option you have.

Don't do anything that isn't immediately needed and drive carefully. Fix what is broken and live with what you can that you don't have time or money to fix. When situation gets better, replace the car with something in a bit better condition.

Originally Posted By: Shark
Originally Posted By: Hollow

Known and current issues:
-Missing front bumper (from accident #4 that resulted in the state finally revoking the elderly driver's license)
-Shocks and struts are shot.
-Bad camshaft sensor and/or interrupter magnet.
-Something messed up in ABS system, I've just pulled the fuse right now.
-Sporadic issue with driver's front brake dragging, not sure if a caliper is going bad or related to the larger ABS issue.
-Parking brake does not work.
-AC does not work.

Thoughts? I'm starting to think the Olds is going to nickel and dime us pretty bad, but something more reliable is going to take our entire savings account to purchase, and that makes me nervous.

Something that might make you broke vs something that will? Easy decision. Keep the Olds.

-A/C doesn't work, it's October, it's only getting colder.
-ABS doesn't work, early 90's GM ABS is so bad I'd rather have the fuse pulled.
-Parking brake doesn't work, oh well.
-Front brake dragging, take the calipers off, anti seize the slide pins.
-All the other problems, junk yard trip, or check craigslist, lots of different models share parts.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Drive it until it stops driving, then if what stops it is something cheap and easy to fix, then do it.

In your current financial situation this is probably the ONLY option you have.

Don't do anything that isn't immediately needed and drive carefully. Fix what is broken and live with what you can that you don't have time or money to fix. When situation gets better, replace the car with something in a bit better condition.

This is good advice. Fix what absolutely needs fixing, and the other stuff just live with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back