Ethanol and Internal Combustion Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
And as opposed to cattle, swine spend most of their life on feed mixtures, and poultry their entire life. Corn is not primarily used for cattle feed as opposed to other livestock. Beef get feed like this on the final prep before slaughter and that is only feeder stock targeted for meat packing plants. Most breeder cattle never see an ear of corn or at best only get it by grazing harvested corn fields. But of those that do get put on feed before slaughter, DDG is a high protein supplement that has shown to reduce intestinal colitis in feeder stock as well.

Pigs and poultry are not cows. Pigs and poultry can eat grain. Cows are designed to eat grass.

Well, you need to pull over the next time you see cattle and discuss it with them, and point out the error of their ways. If they are put in a harvested corn field that also has grassed waterways, they seem to be out looking for corn ears and shelled corn that got missed by the combine. If they are designed to only eat grass, someone brainwashed them into moving off the grass waterway and go looking for corn. Sure, they also eat some of the grass in the waterways and fence rows, but they spend a lot of time also working the cornfield. Maybe they had a corn gene implanted into them that causes them to go after corn! Since we are all on conspiracy theories nowadays.

ever wonder why there are fences between pastures and cornfields? That is to keep the cattle out of the cornfield! Again, maybe someone is brainwashing them. Now that NASA has determined there is flowing water on Mars, we can deduce that Martians are coming here and corrupting cattle to eat corn! Sounds like we need to get ahold of George Noory!

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Well, you need to pull over the next time you see cattle and discuss it with them, and point out the error of their ways. If they are put in a harvested corn field that also has grassed waterways, they seem to be out looking for corn ears and shelled corn that got missed by the combine. If they are designed to only eat grass, someone brainwashed them into moving off the grass waterway and go looking for corn.

It's the same evolutionary process that send humans looking for fat, salt, and sugar at the nearest Golden Arches...cheap energy..

They will take it every time.

Doesn't make the fact that cattle break fences to eat corn, or truckers drive through the window order triple hashbrowns and gravy the sensible way of things..

Dogs love antifreeze too.

You did actually figure something out in your post:
Quote:
Sure, they also eat some of the grass in the waterways and fence rows, but they spend a lot of time also working the cornfield.

Sure a cow would be fine on a diet of foraged grain and grasses. Just like that occasional trip to MCDs would be totally fine. Three times a day, not so much. When a feedlot gives cows a choice between grass and grain report back.

grass family
noun
the large plant family Gramineae (or Poaceae), characterized by mostly herbaceous but sometimes woody plants with hollow and jointed stems, narrow sheathing leaves, petalless flowers borne in spikelets, and fruit in the form of seedlike grain, and including bamboo, sugar cane, numerous grasses, and cereal grains such as barley, corn, oats, rice, rye, and wheat.

cows will eat anything, i found a metal potted meat can in the paunch of one, wire in another, paper............
crazy.gif

every wonder why they will lick at you when close? well they aren't trying to lick you like your pet dog, they want to eat what every smelly thing on your shirt attracted them to you! LOL

Last edited:
Actually, cattle in a feedlot get both grasses and grains! They usually get a combination of alfalfa, clover, corn and other items, like soybean meal. Look at all the hay and alfalfa stacked up around a feedlot. That is mixed with grains and fed to the cattle. It is a full featured diet. For some reason, folks are stuck on a one item or another type of feeding regimen for cattle. It sure isn't like the only thing that is being dumped in front of feedlot cattle is shelled corn. Corn is part of the fattening up regimen as preparation of them to move on to slaughter. Y'all really need to go see a feedlot sometime instead of relying on what some city slicker who writes for some rag says about it. Take the time online and do your research. There are myriads of articles from state university extension offices that go into great detail of a proper feed regimen to provide feedlot cattle a balanced diet.

Dairy cattle usually get a silage that is primarily the entire corn plant, grain and all, chopped. And they get it along with hay, usually alfalfa or clover. Many slaughter beef feedlot operators follow the same regimen as the dairy cattle. My neighbor has a dairy operation and chops over 100 acres of corn for them annually. And he has about 40 acres in alfalfa that he bales up and also some off of another neighbor's hay ground. He averages about 3 cuttings off of that ground per year. On top of that, corn and soybean meal is also part of the feed mix.

Ok, there, feedlots don't provide a pick or choose choice, but a combination smorgasbord.

My brother drove through a giant feedlot area in TX a few years ago. Said the stench was nauseating. Even worst than driving past chicken houses. That's all I need to know to not care to visit.

Well, to the folks who own and work feedlots, that smell is the smell of money. I realize it is not the most pleasant olfactory experience for those that are not normally around it, but having grown up on a farm and around livestock most of my life, it really is not all that bad. I notice it when I drive by one, but I don't equate it to nearly the worse thing I have smelled. Actually rotting corpses in the jungle that their bowels have evacuated upon death (something never shown in a movie but is reality) eclipses anything a feedlot could do to my nasal passages. In fact, nothing comes close.

There's no reason why a cattle farm should smell. If the waste is cleaned away and processed you'd not smell a thing. But letting the animal stand in their waste is how they've always done it and they don't need no government intervention into their business.

Do you have first hand experience with feed lot operations? I guess we need to get the groundwork laid on how experienced you are in dealing with these issues, where the distinct smell is coming from (are there DNR mandated catch ponds/lagoons where animal waste runoff is collected?), how often feed lots are scraped, how are cattle rotated thru the various pens, etc. You seem to know that there should be no smell whatsoever regarding livestock. Well until we put diapers on them and have a gang of people running around changing their drawers, there is going to be a waste smell. Even in a pasture, though agreed, not as intense as in a confined area. Are you familiar with feeder operation requirements from both Federal and state regulatory agencies regarding animal waste control? Do you know the fines that are impose for not following them virtually to the letter?

Many, I suppose, think that these feeder operations run totally without regulatory guidance and on the whim of whoever is doing it. This is why I suggest anyone go to a feeder operation, ask details from the folks who run them, and look at the hoops these folks jump thru to remain compliant with regulatory issues and keep their operation from being closed down.

I drive past these in CT. They pile the poop 20 foot high then throw tarps over it. Looks like brain science to me. I wonder how much longer they'll get away with that with multi million properties all around. The world is changing. Change or die.

there is probably compost being made in those 20 foot high piles of dung with tarps over them...it is created by heat and micro organims acting to break down the material so that it can be reused again in farming operations. some of that is even packaged and sold in stores so that everyone can enjoy their flowers, vegetables and lawns at home even on those multi million dollar properties.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
there is probably compost being made in those 20 foot high piles of dung with tarps over them...it is created by heat and micro organims acting to break down the material so that it can be reused again in farming operations. some of that is even packaged and sold in stores so that everyone can enjoy their flowers, vegetables and lawns at home even on those multi million dollar properties.

Yea its wonderful.

Well, most feedlot operations are not in areas where multi-million dollar properties are located. And those "poop piles" are a product of regulatory issues that have been imposed by state DNR agencies. Not a bad thing. As was stated, it is eventually used either on farm ground or in the compost you buy at the big box store. First it was stated that all those cattle are standing around all day long in their poop, then it is stated that there are 20' piles of the stuff covered with tarps. What? Are the cattle now standing on the tarps? Just kidding around. Obviously, cattle will stand around in some of their back end deposits, as they dump frequently in a day, but it is regularly scraped and contained. Cattle operations are designed to minimize disease and health problems as much as possible. At $171 a hundred weight for beef on the hoof, no one wants weak, diseased, ill cattle. There would be too much lost, at the feedlot, on the cattle wagons to the packing plant, and then cattle rejection at the plant because they were inferior. And manure control has to be done also from a runoff standpoint. State DNR agencies are always monitoring feedlot operations for ground water contamination and runoff. The fines are pretty steep.

How I can I say this nicely...

Folks love the smell of bacon in the morning and BBQ in the after noon, but they don't want to seem to understand what it takes to get the product to the plate. I know that a lot of children may not know where milk comes from, when they were asked the question, many answered the store.

good day, no offense meant.

Quote:
Cattle operations are designed to minimize disease and health problems as much as possible.
Well, yeah. That's why they put antibiotics in their food. Tell us more about how this is good?

the antibiotics are good for saving the health and life of the animal-humane treatment, which will then be slaughtered, but any way it is a way to market more animals to the slaughter house and keep the overall cost of the producer down which helps keep the cost from increasing to the consumer. and in today's ever increasing world population, everything that can be produced must be marketed as safely and humanely as possible.

the animal being given antibiotics should be monitored and scheduled to market/slaughter accordingly, so that enough time has passed that the medicines have left his system(known as withdrawal) in order that they do not enter the meat/food supply.

Last edited:
The non-therapeutic use of antibiotics is also good at making superbugs resistant to antibiotics. It's clearly not safe.

i support the use of antibiotics only for sick animals as I mentioned above and not as a means to promote the animals growth, which is what hatt has detailed at last.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back