Android: backing up apps and their settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of unrooted android devices here. When you guys move over to a new phone, what free apps/tools do you use to transfer the apps and their settings? Or do you just go into Play Store, download, and install them all from scratch one by one on the new device?

Not talking about contacts here. Just apps.

Depends on the brand.

if you go between 2 of the same brand phone most of the time the manufacturer has an app.

ie motorola. Going from a moto g to a moto x

however many times that wont work
its really easy to just reinstall from the app store and fiddle with it for 30min to get the icons right etc.

There are some 3rd party "backup apps" but that isnt the same as migrating to a new phone of course.

I had an LG G1(ls970),Moto G, LG G2 and LG G3 in that order

LG G2 to LG G3 worked.. but it didnt work LG G3 to LG G2.

Last edited:
Thanks. The only issue is that for some apps I have deliberately chosen to stay on an older version. If I go through Play Store, it's going to install the latest version. I guess I can just save the .apk files for those few apps and copy them to the new phone.

When moving samsung phones I used a program on the computer program called Samsung Kies. I think they discontinued it though. It would basically let you backup everything and just copy it over to the new phone.

As soon as I log into Google on the new phone all of my apps re-installed automatically (I had it set to backup to Google on the old phone). Does that not happen for you?

Settings were lost, but there were very few that had anything other than the default.

That's a good point, 2015_PSD. My Google settings show that my App Data gets synced. Maybe that is enough to have Google auto reinstall what's needed on the new phone?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
That's a good point, 2015_PSD. My Google settings show that my App Data gets synced. Maybe that is enough to have Google auto reinstall what's needed on the new phone?
It is all that I needed, but I see Overkill posted an app that should work (I will install it on mine too).

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The app you are looking for is called Helium. It does exactly what you want to do.

Google says its incompatible with my motorola device. Ugh...

The app you are looking for is called Helium. It does exactly what you want to do.

That makes no sense, can you install it anyways? I've used it to migrate various Android devices from Samsung, LG....etc.

I've seen Android handle it through the google id during the first boot of the new phone. IIRC, there a point when signing into the new device when Android informs you that it looks like you are moving phone and gives you the option to install the apps.

Originally Posted By: Benito

I've seen Android handle it through the google id during the first boot of the new phone. IIRC, there a point when signing into the new device when Android informs you that it looks like you are moving phone and gives you the option to install the apps.

It is bringing over your data for those apps that's the issue. Like how far you are in Candy Crush kinda thing, LOL!
wink.gif

That's what Helium is good for.

That makes no sense, can you install it anyways? I've used it to migrate various Android devices from Samsung, LG....etc.

There is no "install" button. I've seen some lengthy workaround to make it work in Motorola devices, but I think I'll pass. I've installed another app called "Easy Backup" that seems to have made copies of all .apk files for me. It'll probably do.

It is bringing over your data for those apps that's the issue. Like how far you are in Candy Crush kinda thing, LOL!
wink.gif

That's what Helium is good for.

Ah I get it now. Most of the apps I use already hold / sync data over the cloud but I can imagine some that might not, especially games like you mention.

For what you are asking use Helium. Helium doesn't require root, but it does require you to be able to turn on debug mode and connect it to your PC via PTP. That's how you grant it enough access without rooting. Nearly all phones have an option for PTP (picture transfer) and allow debug mode in the developer menu. That menu is often hidden via the about. I believe you tap the build number 7 or so times to unlock it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back