No detailing of new paint for certain period?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a question. I had my two driverside doors repainted this week after someone did a hit and run on my car at my office parking lot. Well after two days while at the store somebody dinged and scratched my drivers door again. I was about to try and use some turtle wax heavy duty compound paste to bring out the scratch when my friend was telling me he heard you aren't supposed to touch new paint with any detailing products for atleast 30 days to allow the paint to settle in a fully cure. Is this true?

Thanks

2nvytg0.jpg

Last edited:
A thirty day cure is usually a good rule to go by. I'd stretch it a bit longer if possible.

Not apples to apples, but I am getting a Leer top for my new rig. They state no washing or car wash systems for 90 days to ensure the paint is cured.

60-90 days to allow full cure. If possible, I would stop by the bodyshop and see if the detailer there could buff it out for you since they work on fresh paint daily. Throw him $20 and call it good...

I just had some body work done on my 2007 Fusion. The man who did all my body work, paint and all, told me that I can wax the fresh paint right now if I wanted to. He'd already waxed the fresh paint after he finished it. I trust what he says.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
I just had some body work done on my 2007 Fusion. The man who did all my body work, paint and all, told me that I can wax the fresh paint right now if I wanted to. He'd already waxed the fresh paint after he finished it. I trust what he says.

Why wax it again after he just did it? Just don't use a sealant and use a pure wax.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver

Why wax it again after he just did it? Just don't use a sealant and use a pure wax.

I always use Turtle Wax wax-as-you-dry spray wax after almost every wash just for the shine. That's why I was wondering. Spray waxed the fresh paint yesterday after I washed the car.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver

Meguiars M305 was developed specifically for this purpose -- provide a small amount of protection while allowing fresh paint to "breathe" during the initial curing process.

http://www.autogeek.net/megiuars-m305-16.html

Last edited:
Compound and wax are not the same thing. Most paint jobs need a little bit of "cutting and buffing". So compound is used on fresh paint all the time.

In the old days of lacquer, it would flash off quickly, but not get fully hard for a month or so. When I do lacquer guitars I have to sometimes hang them for 90 days before they are hard enough to cut and buff out.

Paints take 30 days or so to finish curing. During that time the solvents finish evaporating, or trying to.
When the car is painted, it is sanded and then polished with rubbing/polishing compound.

Then you wait at least 30 days to put on anything that could hold in the solvents. My body guy prefers to wait a week or two after painting before sanding and polishing, which he can do on a restoration, but the average car owner won't wait that long, so it gets done right away.

Thanks guys. I called my body shop and they said I could do what ever I wanted to right away but I decided to wait the 30 days just to be sure. No loss to me. So I'll try and get around to it this weekend coming.

They used a 2K clear. You can sand, buff. polish and wax it within 24 hrs air dry or 180 min force dry.
The solvent used in the base flashes off quickly its dry to tape for two tone jobs in 30 min. The 2K clear many times uses no solvent at all just a catalyst like epoxy, once its cured its done.

Some high solid clears are so hard that if you wait longer than 24 hours to sand and buff it can be a miserable job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back