Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not too long ago I started a thread asking which oil would be best for cold starts. GenaFishbeck chimed in on the thread, invited me to PM her. I did, and received this complete oil test kit on Friday.

I will be due for my oil change in the next two weeks, as I go along I will update this thread.

I look forward to testing this out out, seeing how my truck does on it, and sharing the UOA's with the fine folks here. Having the UOA results will be a huge plus for me too, always nice to see how my truck does on it.

Will check to see where I can buy this locally.

Thanks Gena.

Last edited:
I'm running the 5w20 right now in my Pilot. It seems to like this more during start-up vs. the Starfire 0w20 that was mistakenly put in there a few months ago.

I think SOPUS has figured out a gimmick to target its marketing squarely at BITOG...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I think SOPUS has figured out a gimmick to target its marketing squarely at BITOG...
smile.gif

Perhaps; but then again, what better way to capture new customers than by giving them two OCs with their best oil and UOAs to boot. It definitely serves the "oil nerd" in all of us.
cheers3.gif

I had recently made the switch to Pennzoil with PurePlus a month ago on our new FB25 engine Subaru.
The car was using a Quart plus between OC (~4 months/ 7K miles) So far the level has not changed on the DS with Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20. Lets hope this trend continues
smile.gif

PU is excellent oil as is PP and many others. Synthetic oil flows better in cold weather so cold starts should be easier on your engine with synthetic oil than conventional.

A good silicone ADBV would help with cold starts making sure the filter is kept full after engine shutdown.

I am not sure a UOA will help you in analysis of cold starts. Maybe in a freezing chamber where all the engine did was cold starts. But if your cold starting and driving then I doubt you can conclude much about cold starts and oils from a UOA.

My FB25 also doesn't burn too much oil during an OCI with Pennzoil Platinum 0w20. It burns about 0.5 quarts in 5k miles.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
smile.gif

Perhaps; but then again, what better way to capture new customers than by giving them two OCs with their best oil and UOAs to boot. It definitely serves the "oil nerd" in all of us.
cheers3.gif

Actually, it is one OC, the bigger box held the 6 pack and the sample bottle and postage envelope.

Was just in a large Super Center Walmart this morning - not one jug of PUP in any flavor on the shelves. Lots of M1 in every viscosity, but it was half sold out.

Originally Posted By: cat843
PU is excellent oil as is PP and many others. Synthetic oil flows better in cold weather so cold starts should be easier on your engine with synthetic oil than conventional.

A good silicone ADBV would help with cold starts making sure the filter is kept full after engine shutdown.

I am not sure a UOA will help you in analysis of cold starts. Maybe in a freezing chamber where all the engine did was cold starts. But if your cold starting and driving then I doubt you can conclude much about cold starts and oils from a UOA.
What do you mean by cold starts. How cold exactly?

Originally Posted By: CT8

How about -40 or colder, not being run for close to 24 hours and then started - a classic cold start.

Last edited:
This site and the users on it are an excellent center of influence on the oil changing community. I wish I was involved in testing oil products. There is nothing wrong with FREE synthetic oil!!!!!

Originally Posted By: WillB
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
smile.gif

cheers3.gif

Actually, it is one OC, the bigger box held the 6 pack and the sample bottle and postage envelope.

One UOA kit for now, second UOA kit will be shipped when you contact [email protected] before next OC.

Yeah my Wally world sucks too here at Williamsburg.. No Pennzoil Ultra Platinum here at all. Only one I know has it.... The Walmart in Mechanicsville just east of Richmond. A 40 min drive West for me. Plus this Walmart has all kinds of different oils I have not seen at my sorry Walmart. So I'm with you there.

Originally Posted By: hydrogen3
SMH. Obvious the oil companies run this web site. SMH
What pearl of wisdom led you to this conclusion?

Originally Posted By: CT8

A true cold start is when the engine is started and its not been run in awhile and has cooled down to the ambient temp. Think sitting overnight. However a cold start in cold weather will be even worse for an engine as the oil will be slow to start flowing nicely.

Very nice.

I am debating a UOA after my run with PUP. My previous OCI was PP with a UOA at the end and it would be interesting to see how PUP compares.

A bit in the same boat as the OP I guess, the L76 likes to clatter a little on cold start, which is something I would really like to go away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back