rear projection TV picture help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Color is fine but both R/L edges of the scree are distorting and colors are stacking there to an almost 3D look to them. TV is a 51" Toshiba 51H84 from around 2004 or so. It is my downstairs kid's TV but I am wondering if there is a simple fix otherwise I am gonna replace it with a $150 32" LED. I tried the TouchFocus and it did nothing. I also tried manual convergence but it did nothing either. What is making the screen do this? Cost of repair?

Not economically feasible to repair.

I'd probably skip the 32" and go for a 40" they are still in the low 200$ range.

32" would be tiny coming from 51.

You could probably find another rear projection TV on Craigslist for free, or close to free. I see these old TVs on there all the time. Nobody wants the big bulky TVs, everybody wants a sleek flat screen. They can't even give them away.

Try a pawn shop. I was able to get a year old LG smart tv 48 inches for $140. Son's school started back and I wanted to get him a tv for state. Might find something you like there for less. You could always go and buy one from the department store if you don't see anything you like.

Last edited:
Sounds like the set is aging and in need of a full alignment & calibration. However, it's not worth it in today's world. You might be able to restore some of it if you've ever dug around in the service menu before.

if the colors are separating to such a degree that you see an old school 3d effect, and you didn't move or bump the TV, I would first guess that something electronic like a board has fried.

A full alignment or calibration isn't going to help, if the TV isn't respond to your setting changes because a board is broken.

So I think a part will need to be replaced first, which might not be worth diganosing and repairing

Last edited:
I didn't figure it was gonna be worth it and I actually kind of look forward to smashing the overloving pee out of it. It's 11 years old+ and it has done it's time on basement duty. I'll check the pawn shops but the $135 Insignia 32" at Best Buy is probably gonna take the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back