Nissan 2.5 Stuck rings, soak? Thicker oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my wife has a sentra 2.5l that consumes oil. When I removed the pre-cat with a straight manifold the pre-cat looked good. So if not think her consumption is from the pre-cat breaking down. She has always been good about 5-6k oci, but now I do it myself.

I think the issue with the oil consumption is her danty driving habits. I don't think she's ever given it some fuel heading down the highway. Is there a list on soak that actually works? I see many recommendations but maybe there is something more current?

Also in terms of oil, she's spec'd for 5-30. Could I use something a bit thicer maybe a 5-40? Would that possibly help consumption? I think I added a qt in 4000 ish miles? Her car has 109k on it. I didn't measure it exactly when I added the oil, it came from a jug. And she was still on the dipstick, just right below the last cross-hatch...

Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
So my wife has a sentra 2.5l that consumes oil. When I removed the pre-cat with a straight manifold the pre-cat looked good. So if not think her consumption is from the pre-cat breaking down. She has always been good about 5-6k oci, but now I do it myself.

I think the issue with the oil consumption is her danty driving habits. I don't think she's ever given it some fuel heading down the highway. Is there a list on soak that actually works? I see many recommendations but maybe there is something more current?

Also in terms of oil, she's spec'd for 5-30. Could I use something a bit thicer maybe a 5-40? Would that possibly help consumption? I think I added a qt in 4000 ish miles? Her car has 109k on it. I didn't measure it exactly when I added the oil, it came from a jug. And she was still on the dipstick, just right below the last cross-hatch...
Check the PCV system. Nissans, absent abuse, don't wear out that fast. Did you buy it new?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quest
it's been 10 years on the road and you now just replace the PCV valve?

Q.

Yes.. We were dating for a while. Now that we're married, I have taken over maint. we're both young, and even younger at that time.

I would do a compression test first then go from there. You dont know if the rings are worn, cracked or coked up at this point...so if it were mine i would do the compression test first, then try at least twice or maybe 3 times with solvents and soaks to undo the possible coking. After that I probably wouldnt rebuild the engine, just keep adding oil until i found another car.

Use cheap oil for now until you determine if its coking or mechanical wear/failure.

Good deal. I think thats what IM going to do, is just run cheap oil in it plus a fram high mileage oil filter. Its been a good car and its been paid off for almost ten years. I wanted to keep it as a commuter, and I will. But so much for being anal on the oil type and changes! lol. Thanks guys.

I did find the Amsoil cleaner locally and I will give that a try.

Try Kreen it has a money back guarantee. It's available only by mail order. You also get a Free can of Kroil best penetrant out there. My diesel Benz 290k+ miles had the same issue plus it had injector knock. It purrs like a new motor, my nephew is still driving it.

From my experience, if you have a broken ring you'll start blowing oil out the dipstick tube, seals, etc as the engine pressurizes. I doubt you have a broken ring. FWIW I had a 1993 Chevy Cavalier that would use 1 quart every 3,000 miles and it was well cared for since I bought it new. I just considered it normal at that time. My newer engines (even my 2002 Cavalier which is basically the exact engine as the 1993) don't use any oil for some reason. Anyways, long story short I would try the BG product the other guy recommended, and if it doesn't help maybe use 10W-30 or 5W-40 or just not worry about it and add oil every once in awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back