BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Tour Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to recent incidents, it looks like I will be getting new escape tires next fall. I want to buy from discount tire so my options include the BF Goodrich listed in the subject.

I know nothing about BF as a company nor their tires. Anyone have experience with these tires? They have decent specs and user reviews at discount tire's site. I'm just looking for a good all season tire. This is the wife/kid carrier so safety is important. the escape never goes offroad. Wet and snow are important.

Thanks everyone.

BF was/is an American chemical company amongst other things. Their tire line branding was sold to Michelin at some point.

Of any tires I've owned which perform and last, it's my BFG AT radials. YMMV, but they should all be decent quality tires.

A lot of people rave about these tires, but my experience was they are just OK. Had them on a 2009 4-runner for about 30K, then traded vehicle, but performance was not great in wet conditions. They were also noisy on the highway. Wear was good, though. YMMV.

Coming up on end-of-life for a set of these on my 2WD Dakota. My tires were made in 2009, in Canada.

As cwing6 said, performance is OK, wear is good. They don't seem any better or worse, noise-wise, than the Goodyear Eagles that I replaced. Wet traction was a bit better than the Goodyear's.

I've had Long Trail T/A's on the Cherokees in the past. They're a very good tire. I would view them as a budget alternative to the Michelin LTX MS2. They're a little louder and don't have quite the treadwear rating, but otherwise they work about the same. Good wet/dry grip for an SUV that doesn't go offroad much or at all. Don't ask me about snow, I don't know anything that stuff. :p

Get a good alignment before putting them on. They did okay on ours during all conditions you mentioned. They did cup badly although I can't pinpoint if it was the tires or alignment, even with frequent rotations. The Kumho's we have on now absolutely no cupping and perfect wear. From what I've seen these tires wear and better suited to RWD applications.

we had a set on a gen 1 "awd" crv. on this car they were a good all-around tire. never had balance or wear issues and they held up well, got us home in substantial snows and were predictable wet. they were a little noisy and rode pretty hard compared to the bridgestone alenzas ("HL"?) that replaced them, made worse by the "tin can" attributes of the early crv. the bridgestone was arguably a better tire, but these were by no means sub-standard.

does discount tire do cooper? I have been very impressed by the coopers just put on my truck by NTB. Never had them before. think it's the discoverer RTW which is new and wasn't listed online when I bought them. they are more AT than you are looking at but at least the brand is work considering--

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: meep

does discount tire do cooper? I have been very impressed by the coopers just put on my truck by NTB. Never had them before. think it's the discoverer RTW which is new and wasn't listed online when I bought them. they are more AT than you are looking at but at least the brand is work considering--

I currently have cooper discoverer H/T and really like them for everything but MPGs. I don't think discount tire does cooper, sadly.

We had them on the wife's 2010 Pathfinder. These were the OEM tires. We got decent mileage out of them, for oem, and the sound wasn't too bad. We switched them to a Bridgestone after that and those were MUCH quieter. Traded soon after that. I will say that we had no complaints with them.

I have a 95 F150 extended cab and my father has the same truck but it's a 96. I have the Long Trails on mine and he has the MS2's on his. In my opinion there's not much comparison. The MS2's ride smoother, grip wayyyy better whether its dry or wet, are quieter, and wear much better. I'm putting a set of MS2's on within a few weeks.

Originally Posted By: AdRock
I have a 95 F150 extended cab and my father has the same truck but it's a 96. I have the Long Trails on mine and he has the MS2's on his. In my opinion there's not much comparison. The MS2's ride smoother, grip wayyyy better whether its dry or wet, are quieter, and wear much better. I'm putting a set of MS2's on within a few weeks.

MS2s are not an option but thanks for commenting on the Long Trails.

I had the Long Trail Tours on my 4Runner. A lot of people confuse it with the Radial Long Trail T/A's.

They drove well on the highway in both dry and wet conditions. They maintained good traction in the rain and I always felt secure. But I felt they were absolutely miserable on dirt roads and in light (dusting) snow. Thankfully never had to test them in any serious snow or ice.

I thought them comfortable tires with some road noise. But it was nothing that turning the radio a bit louder couldn't cure.

Now I have to point out that they replaced the Dunlop AT-21 OEM tires which were absolutely horrible. So I may have been a bit more forgiving.

At 13,000 miles, I had a belt separation in one tire. This caused the vehicle to pull to the right. Discount Tire offered to replace that one tire for free but I insisted on replacing all four. They then cut me a deal on the Michelin MS/2 tires.

I know you have ruled out the MS/2 tires but I have to say do consider them. On a scale of 1-10 (10 the best): I rate the Dunlops as a "2"; the Long Trail Tours as "6"; the Michelins as "9.5". The traction of the MS/2 in dry, wet, and snow have been incredible. Road noise is virtually nil with them too.

The last winter we had the Tours on, we got about a half inch of snow. I was disappointed that I had to use 4WD. It managed to get me around while others were stranded but I felt it was "on the edge". The following winter, we now had the MS/2 tires on and the wife was driving it. We had a series of snow ranging from a light dusting to a few inches. She has a pretty steep hill in her commute so I asked her if she had to use 4WD. She replied, "What's that?" So the answer was that she never needed or used the 4WD. It made that much of a difference.

My wife now drives the 4Runner. After 2 years and 20K miles, they still look like new and incredibly quiet.

Originally Posted By: RW1

I know you have ruled out the MS/2 tires but I have to say do consider them. On a scale of 1-10 (10 the best): I rate the Dunlops as a "2"; the Long Trail Tours as "6"; the Michelins as "9.5". The traction of the MS/2 in dry, wet, and snow have been incredible. Road noise is virtually nil with them too.

I have not ruled out Michelins, they ruled themselves out. They do not make a single tire in my size (225/75/15).

My mistake, sorry. But noting that you have a Ford Escape, take a look at the Firestone Destination LE. A co-worker has it on her Escape with great results. I have driven some GSA SUVs (Explorers and Escapes) with them and have been impressed with how smooth and quiet they were. They have felt secure in rain and light snow (<1"). I haven't driven them in anything worse.

Originally Posted By: RW1
My mistake, sorry. But noting that you have a Ford Escape, take a look at the Firestone Destination LE. A co-worker has it on her Escape with great results. I have driven some GSA SUVs (Explorers and Escapes) with them and have been impressed with how smooth and quiet they were. They have felt secure in rain and light snow (

Right now my two options are Firestone Destination LE2 and the BFG Long Trail T/A Tour tires. I really like the Firestone Destination LE2 but I cannot get them at Discount Tire. Maybe I won't get to try Discount Tire anytime soon.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Right now my two options are Firestone Destination LE2 and the BFG Long Trail T/A Tour tires. I really like the Firestone Destination LE2 but I cannot get them at Discount Tire. Maybe I won't get to try Discount Tire anytime soon.

Did you just look at availability on DT website or did you talk to your local DT person about ordering Firestone Destination LE2 ?

When I bought my Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring last month from local AT(yours is DT), they didn't carry Cooper CS5 at all but they agreed to order it and price match lowest online price, took them 4-5 days to get it.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: badtlc

Did you just look at availability on DT website or did you talk to your local DT person about ordering Firestone Destination LE2 ?

When I bought my Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring last month from local AT(yours is DT), they didn't carry Cooper CS5 at all but they agreed to order it and price match lowest online price, took them 4-5 days to get it.

I will talk to them in store and find out. Thanks for this info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back