CJ-4 oil for older flat tappet engines..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't worry in the least. All motor oils are compromises. It's not like even Defy or VR-1 necessarily have the ideal ZDDP concentration for AW. There are other considerations formulators have to make. Most motor oils have had ZDDP concentrations well below what we fondly "remember" them to be, long before any phosphorous limits came in.

Hi Hessam, I don't think the thread was saying that the elevated zinc in HDEO causes more wear. My take home was that the high zinc in a HDEO might not be as active as the zinc in a PCMO, so the "effective " zinc might just not be as high as we think by just looking at the zinc ppm concentration.

However after reading this, I am much less worried about zinc levels in oil.
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/tech_pdfs/0Zinc Myths & Legends Nov 2014.pdf

It seems the high zinc levels of the past first weren't often as high as we think, and second the zinc was elevated because of the lead (Pb as TEL) in the petrol reduced the effectiveness of the ZDDP, so it's concentration had to be increased. With lead free petrol today, less zinc (ZDDP) is required.

Another thing I learnt from reading the Penrite web site, is that Boron can be used to do the job of Zinc. Plus there are other things like Titanium and Moly that do similar jobs.

So an oil with "only" 800ppm Zinc, but also lots of Moly and Boron, being used with lead free petrol, is probably as good, if not better than a high zinc (only) oil from the old days being used with leaded petrol.

And dont forget, if a HDEO oil is dual rated (eg API SL) then it was developed to be safe and effective in petrol cars.

I've used Walmart Tech 2000[or whatever they call it,as it is a CJ-4 and at 15w-40 is suitable for any climate except for extreme cold. I buy it in 2 gallon jugs and use it for my '88 Toyota truck,[350,000 miles]1941 Ford tractor[flathead] and have done so for 20+ years with good service. I was using Rotella,but I noticed on a case of the quarts that the vendor was Shell on the Wallyworld brand. On my tractor,I change oil every year,as it gets light use.

Last edited:
Hi lhaolpa,

Welcome. !!

Good to hear a HDEO has served you well for twenty years on your Ford and Toyota.

Originally Posted By: lhaolpa
What is HDEO?

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2605508/Acronyms_used_at_BITOG,_make_m#Post2605508

Heavy Duty Engine Oil
smile.gif

Oh, and there are new regs in Cali. The state has passed laws that non-current oils can not be sold here any longer. I dunno if the laws are booked as a CARB enforceable item, but the refiners are all playing nice and lots of oils are no longer for sale.

What gets me is Red Line's offices are in Benicia and they sell plenty to tehrace crowd, so I don't know what they are going to do. They have not been API rated on some of their products for a long time, so maybe the law only applies to API ratings (current/obsolete) ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back