Wheel Patched With JB Weld?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was mounting up the last of my new snow tires for the Focus on Saturday and noticed this on one of the wheels. Was going through and cleaning up the beads with a wire wheel.

I have had these wheels from 2011. Other than bead leaks, I have never had any issue with these wheels. This wheel didn't have any bead leaks .. .I would have noticed it while breaking the tire down and cleaning up like I have with 2 other ones.

Not sure how I missed this as I have mounted / dismounted tires on these more than once.

The patch has held up so far. I'm not sure when it was done. The wheels came off of a SVT Focus so I am guessing they were junk wheels that were thrown on so the SVT could be scrapped.

I am guessing this is not safe?

Ojaii3A.jpg

QJy9zyB.jpg

Amazing to say the least.
I have seen JB weld used to repair a cylinder sleeve in outboard motor, now I can add this one to the OMG JB stories.

I would find a replacement wheel. It might not leak now, but hit a bump hard enough and the crack or whatever damage it has might spread out

Originally Posted By: jsfalls
I would find a replacement wheel. It might not leak now, but hit a bump hard enough and the crack or whatever damage it has might spread out

Yeah this.

I don't mind driving around on hokey used tires, because if they blow out, you can stop on the wheel, and probably stay in control.

But if the wheel lets go, the spokes will shatter, and you'll be dragging your rotor and all sorts of expensive stuff on the pavement. And controllability may be an issue.

How was the balance on that wheel? Take a few ounces to counteract that blob?

Never had an issue with balance on any of them. Two of them wouldn't balance up on 2 other wheels - turns out the tires had bad belts. Once I replaced the tires with bad belts, it never took a lot of weight.

Lots of wheels insides are epoxy coated from the factory to seal leaks. I would be concerned about the preparation of the wheel surface that was sealed over the sealing part.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Is that a bullet hole?

Whoever repaired is probably drilled a hole to make a proper seal.

My guess is a railroad spike or something that went through both the tire and the wheel.

Yeah I'm going to be searching the local junkyards to try to find a matching wheel.

sometimes it has a round hole because its drilled to stop the crack from spreading.

In this case who knows.

Is that really JB weld?
Looks more like epoxy putty type stuff from the pic.

Last edited:
I've done that to a old, out of production style wheel that I really liked but couldn't find anymore. It was an old three spoke wheel and it cracked right where one of the spokes met up with the outer part of the wheel.

Like already mentioned, I drilled one very small holes at each end of the crack to stop them from spreading and then used the two part JB putty epoxy to seal it from the outer side of the wheel (inside of the tire). It held just fine for several years on a Sunfire GT.

Probably that far from a spoke, and given that you've been using it for quite a while, probably its fine to keep using it. OTOH these wheels should be cheap now , especially a single, so it doesn't cost much to replace it either.

Whenever I saw an SVT Focus, I always thought it was the owner trying to be funny. Didnt know they actually made them. Lol .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back