Dodge Charger Hellcat vs. Tesla Model S 4WD

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? The world's fastest high powered sedan against an electric golf cart? No contest.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Try lapping VIR in the electric, it's fun for a minute or two before it powers down...

Speaking from experience?

I have only seen one at the track, and the owner was too scared to lap the vehicle. He had been specifically warned by the factory rep on the phone.

Hey it's a great car, but it's only a streeter, not track ready like an SRT vehicle is...

Try lapping VIR in the electric, it's fun for a minute or two before it powers down...

Both straight line vehicles. The Hellcat would not be a car for VIR either. Too obese.

Its the future, no doubt in my mind. The fact that these cars have only been out a few years and already have this kind of performance is amazing.
IMO the horseless carriage as daily transportation as we know it is close to end of life, not a bad thing if modern tech can give us a better alternative.

This isn't the only head to head with the P85D. I've see no news where life lamboghini and Ferrari cars are readily beaten off the line,,just to catch up,after some point.

Batteries can make amazing current when shorted or near shorted, because their impedance is so low. Thermal capabilities of keeping that up aren't quite so great.

IMO the hybrid of one sort or another, likely biasing more and more like the Chevy volt, is what we will see. And from there, then bias the drive motor and batteries toward performance, or not.

I suspect that electrically enabled awd (ie electric drive one axle, mechanical on the other) will start the be the next big thing, as auto makers can sell more hybrids and bring up CAFE, while selling value added AWD that many people want.

I have only seen one at the track, and the owner was too scared to lap the vehicle. He had been specifically warned by the factory rep on the phone.

Hey it's a great car, but it's only a streeter, not track ready like an SRT vehicle is...

I think roadster is trackable, perhaps only as well as many other sports cars that can overheat eventually.
You don't doubt that they could make a Tesla Model S that would could run on a track though? Probably cooling the battery enough would be hardest engineering challenge, but its not worth the expense as its not hurting their sales. What percentage of SRT cars even get tracked? 1-2%? I'm sure even if the Hellcat overheated its oil in 10 minutes on the track, 99.9% of buyers wouldn't care enough to fix this issue.

How about a race from, say, Virginia Beach, to Boston?

A reasonable day's drive...and I chose a route that has electric charging stations...at least through NJ and CT...

I just can't see buying a car that can't go beyond the local area...when the infrastructure catches up, sure.

At a local small car show I talked to a guy who brought his Tesla. He said the charging was free to him at the stations. He liked it a lot, well he has the dough to like it, and people were all over it asking questions. Electric motors have torque from zero, the Prius has something like 300 ft lbs from the electric motor. No doubt electric motors are superior to oil burners. Even locomotives use electric motors to drive the wheels. Nothing new really, some of the first cars were electric.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125

Both straight line vehicles. The Hellcat would not be a car for VIR either. Too obese.

The Hellcat would do OK at VIR.
Just not as well as a Z28...

Drag racing is what electric cars should be best at doing.
It's a thermal transient from which the car has at least an hour to recover.
Time which is best used recharging the battery, probably by a 220V generator powered by diesel fuel.
Electric motors make their maximum torque at Zero rpm, which will always make them quick off the line.
And AWD is easily accomplished by putting motors at each wheel.
But would people pay to see "Top Electric" dragsters? No spectacle there, and not much noise. Unless they can figure out a way to make big, blue lightning bolts shoot from the motors.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125

Not true, it can lap a road course all day long. Sure, there are lighter cars that can turn (slightly) faster times (the new GT350 and even a Z/28 come to mind), but the Hellcat has the cooling and other auxiliary systems needed to keep it happy running hard for long periods of time and is no slouch at a road course. Its been pretty well proven that the Z/06 may be faster at the get-go, but will go into heat-soak and start pulling back power while the Hellcat soldiers on, for example. The P85D, while extremely impressive, is even more "for short bursts only" at its maximum output.

I don't really care about how a car goes around VIR, I care about how comfortable it is idling down to the local store at 30mph or less. My grandmother on a scooter could go around VIR, the time would be as relevant to me as a Tesla.

Tesla makes a good car for roads where 99.999% of people operate their cars.

As James May says that stupid Nuremberg lap time thing ruins road cars, you know where people drive them on public roads.

I wish car mags would do real road tests, how good is the vehicle in rush hour traffic? How good does the suspension absorb massive road heaves and pot holes, etc. How does it do in a crowded Costco parking lot in terms of parking first than holding lots of [censored].

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
This isn't the only head to head with the P85D. I've see no news where life lamboghini and Ferrari cars are readily beaten off the line,,just to catch up,after some point.

Batteries can make amazing current when shorted or near shorted, because their impedance is so low. Thermal capabilities of keeping that up aren't quite so great.

IMO the hybrid of one sort or another, likely biasing more and more like the Chevy volt, is what we will see. And from there, then bias the drive motor and batteries toward performance, or not.

I suspect that electrically enabled awd (ie electric drive one axle, mechanical on the other) will start the be the next big thing, as auto makers can sell more hybrids and bring up CAFE, while selling value added AWD that many people want.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back