The Mystery Rattle from ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rattle is at the right front somewhere. Every time the right wheel goes over a bump like a manhole cover, the rattle lets itself be known. It's gotta be something fairly lightweight because it rattles very easy. I took off the front splash guard, went for a test drive; took off the right front fender liner, went for a test drive; neither one of those parts were the culprit, but at least I have those two possibilities eliminated. I've been under the car grabbing everything I can to check for tightness, but everything is tight. I should also mention that this rattle has survived numerous suspension parts replacements and motor mount replacements, but the rattle still persists to torment me. Car is a '00 Buick LeSabre and I'm throwing this thread out there in case anybody has some ideas.

You better fix it before it kills your mental health.

... or you'll end up like me!
crazy2.gif

A pebble got in somewhere. Could be a brake pad. Take the right front wheel off and see if you still get a rattle.
wink.gif

You're complaining about a 15 year old Buick rattling a little?

If it has hubcaps take them off and see if any stones drop out it may be that simple.

You could stand outside and have someone else drive the car over bumps it may help localize the noise.

Last edited:
I just last weekend solved a rattle in my '01 Pontiac Grand Prix, similar to your Le Sabre. I found the left front strut mount loose and worn out. With the hood open, lock onto the large nut holding the strut rod to the mount. The rod should be tight in the mount. I could move mine. Also, put a floor jack under the front frame, lift the car while observing the mount. They should be firm with little movement. Mine move downward about an inch.

I installed new Monroe Quick Struts in about 20 minutes a side. No more noise. The car drove so much better I did the rears also.

My car has just over 190,000 miles. This were the original day 1 stuts I replaced.

Bad strut mount. I just fixed the exact same issue on my wife's Corolla. You might get lucky by just seeing if the big nut holding the strut shaft is loose causing the rattle.

Strut mount is a good guess, strut can do it too, rotor heat shield can do it,
Also check sway links, sway bar frame bushings, and the ends of the sway bar themselves. Gm made the sway bar hollow, with a welded seam along the length that's been known to crack

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Noises are next to impossible to diagnose by describing it here.

Yes, but the replies may get the OP looking at areas he/she did not consider before. Plus on a big and diverse forum like this one, there is a good chance of someone else having the same problem and posting a solution. It never hurts to ask.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I'm disappointed Merk. You're changing oil every 3k but riding on 15 year old suspension.

lol! I think since the suspension will not varnish, Merk is much less interested in it.

I had a "death rattle" in my car. I ended up just pounding on the front end, hood, fenders, etc. And I heard it. It was coming from the fog lamp. The fog lamp adjuster was out of it's socket and the lamp assembly was free to bang around in it's housing. I fixed that and the "death rattle" went away. I still have an occasional suspension vibration (that caused the rattle) to deal with, but that's another issue. The rattle could come from an unexpected source.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I'm disappointed Merk. You're changing oil every 3k but riding on 15 year old suspension.

I've replaced the lower control arms, outer tie rod ends, sway bar links, front hub bearing assemblies, motor mounts; everything the shop tells me to replace. The only original suspension parts left are the front struts and rear shocks. That rattle sounds like it's directly connected to the right front wheel somehow. I may end up taking the car to the frame shop and have them find the rattle for me; those boys at Chick's Frame & Wheel are the best.

OK just an update guys. I was poking around on the car last night and I finally found the rattle. It's the blower motor. If I grab ahold of the squirrel cage fan, I can pull it and down up on its motor shaft making the noise. What's strange is it only rattles when going over bumps with the fan is on. Switch the fan off and it don't rattle. At least now I know what it is and I don't have to keep worrying about something falling off the car. I was pretty close to ordering a new right front strut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back