YouTube Mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the benefit of toting a camera around with you when you're trying to fix a car? One guy on there even said it extends his repair time significantly when running the camera. Are these guys making money off the videos somehow?

what's the point of answering any of the question posts in a forum.

A lot of it is for validation of your purpose on earth.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What is the benefit of toting a camera around with you when you're trying to fix a car? One guy on there even said it extends his repair time significantly when running the camera. Are these guys making money off the videos somehow?

Well, if you want to make a tutorial for whatever reason, and if you don't have a buddy or a wife who wants to be your private lenser, what choice do you have? I bet you could need a good tutorial on how to diagnose mystery noises coming from the right front wheel!

A few lost their jobs in the great recession, and started their own businesses. Shooting videos was part of trying to monetize their experience. As far as I can tell they have fame but no fortune. (I have sent ETCG overall about $100 since he started.)

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

There is very little benefit to some of the topics posted on this forum sometimes. Come to think of it...this topic is probably one of them.....

To teach us how to fix stuff we didn't know, duh.
wink.gif

Like how to change a lightbulb in a 2009 Malibu....

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The popular ones like Eric the Car Guy probably do make enough money to make YT their full-time jobs

There was a piece on some TV show last week I about a family that posts everything they do in their life on YouTube, and they have a huge following and millions of views on many of their videos. They are racking in so much revenue from YouTube that they said they are multi millionaires - crazy.

I think i read that you can get 1-4 dollars per 1000 views depending on how popular you are. That money does not include what they get paid for ads. So if you add that up thats 1000-4000 dollars per 1 million views. If you put out a couple videos a week you can rake in some dough.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
There was a piece on some TV show last week I about a family that posts everything they do in their life on YouTube, and they have a huge following and millions of views on many of their videos.

Here you go. Don't know why they have millions of subscribers and will have 8 million views of them brushing their teeth. I dont get it??

https://www.youtube.com/user/SHAYTARDS/videos

I got 25000 hits on my using a HF tire changer. It was debatable on if I was doing it right. There was a thread on garagejournal making fun of me for not bolting down a "portable" machine. I'm a rarely contributing member over there but popped my head up and gave them what for.

Having crossed that threshold, Google sent me an email inviting me into their adsense program. Got another 20k hits and $40. This paid for the changer. I have/ had some control over the style of ad: pre-trailers, lower 1/3 windows, etc. I chose them all, naturally.
laugh.gif

Am trying to repeat this with other video repair how-tos, but none have been as successful/ controversial.

You can get more hits by accurately closed captioning your work, and by editing something down to about four minutes. There are lots of rambling videos out there. As people scan the list of prospective movies on their subject, they hope to get to the point in a reasonable amount of time.

This, my latest, lonely video hasn't gotten the hits yet. Others have done similar efforts and it doesn't stand out. But I had the time. Though I didn't contribute anything new technically, I like the pace of my editing vs others on the same subject:

I've gotten help from the YT videos several times, from replacing a faucet o-ring, to taking the door panel off of my truck to replace a speaker. I appreciate the time these guys spend on making these videos for us.

Originally Posted By: joegreen
I think i read that you can get 1-4 dollars per 1000 views depending on how popular you are. That money does not include what they get paid for ads. So if you add that up thats 1000-4000 dollars per 1 million views. If you put out a couple videos a week you can rake in some dough.

You can generally figure about $1 per 1000 views, after Google's cut. That's a good rough estimate that's easy to calculate. There is no solid number, as it all depends on how your viewers interact with the ads. Clicks earn you more money, people with ad blockers earn you $0.

My wife has a YouTube channel that makes a few bucks and is starting to take off.

There are people out there making thousands of $$ per day. It can be very lucrative. I'm hoping my wife's channel gets to that point so I can become a professional hobbyist.
smile.gif

I was offered a youtube partnership a few years ago for a video on recharging A/C on a Taurus. Never bothered with it because I'm not someone that makes a lot of content or how-tos that would generate any real revenue.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
what's the point of answering any of the question posts in a forum.

A lot of it is for validation of your purpose on earth.

Good point.

I use the YT videos often when I'm doing something on an unfamiliar car. They've helped, I'm glad the folks doing them have found a way to make some money.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
Originally Posted By: joegreen

You can generally figure about $1 per 1000 views, after Google's cut. That's a good rough estimate that's easy to calculate. There is no solid number, as it all depends on how your viewers interact with the ads. Clicks earn you more money, people with ad blockers earn you $0.

My wife has a YouTube channel that makes a few bucks and is starting to take off.

There are people out there making thousands of $$ per day. It can be very lucrative. I'm hoping my wife's channel gets to that point so I can become a professional hobbyist.
smile.gif

I use adblock plus extension for chrome. Highly recommended to block the YouTube ads!

If you like the content and/or the YouTube channel in general, you should consider clicking an ad link every now and then. It's a good way to reward the creator without having to fork over your own money. A click can result in a few dollars, depending on the ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back