How often to change fluids in granny car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So both my vehicles are awd, and both only see about 2000 miles per year each, with that being said going by the manual of either I would never reach the interval to change any of the fluids.

Both Mobil 1 and Pennzoil I believe state that their products have a shelf life of about 4 years, they both say this so im assuming this is typical for any synthetic used. Keep in mind this shelf life is for unopened bottles in controlled environments, which means sitting inside your car's diff, t-case, tranny, etc during city driving, hot, and freezing conditions its definitely less than 4 years. Now how often should it be changed without being wasteful?

Some people say every year, every other year, every 3 years, every 5 years, or some just don't change it at all. Personally I'm leaning towards every 3 years but maybe it should be changed sooner I mean if it were the engine people would say every 6 months or every year but what about the rest of the car? those fluids are important too. Another question to is if I have already changed the tranny filter during my ownership should i ever change it again or just leave it since the atf never gets dirty, my thoughts are maybe they degrade over time as well?

Based on my over 4o years of repairing vehicles professionally i would change the oil once a year, the brake fluid every 2 years and the rest of the fluids every 5-7 years.
I would say engine oil every 2 years if they are summer only vehicles but short trips in winter can produce fuel dilution and moisture.
Use a dino like PYB or a blend as long as they meet the spec

49.gif

I believe the base and acid number criteria to be overblown. You'd need to have some seriously acidic oil to attack the metal.

I left GC in my new mustang for 4 years. It still smelled sweet when drained. I still have a sample that I could send in.

I just drained syntec from the vette. 2 years and around 200 miles. I would have left it in but wanted to go back to heavier grade. Going to reuse it to flush the trans am.

I'd say once a year. Because this will also be the opportunity to pump up the tires, fill the washer fluid and all that other jazz.

A lot depends on what are your goals? Are you trying to save money? or save time? Is it convenient for you to to do these things?

Basically I'd say if you can find an Honest Quick Lube or mechanic, I'd say you take the car there and get it all done in 20minutes. If it also does a car wash, you get that all done in 30minutes. If there's a cafe next door, then you get to have a nice chat with granny while the car gets worked on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
Delete

This thread is not about oil

its about the interval to change ATF, Differential, Trans, Brakes, P/S in a car with low annual mileage, in the ATF, Differential, Trans, Brakes, P/S section? how is it irrelevant?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
I'd say once a year. Because this will also be the opportunity to pump up the tires, fill the washer fluid and all that other jazz.

A lot depends on what are your goals? Are you trying to save money? or save time? Is it convenient for you to to do these things?

Basically I'd say if you can find an Honest Quick Lube or mechanic, I'd say you take the car there and get it all done in 20minutes. If it also does a car wash, you get that all done in 30minutes. If there's a cafe next door, then you get to have a nice chat with granny while the car gets worked on.

Very good advice. +1

Originally Posted By: jbotelho15
Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
Delete

This thread is not about oil

its about the interval to change ATF, Differential, Trans, Brakes, P/S in a car with low annual mileage, in the ATF, Differential, Trans, Brakes, P/S section? how is it irrelevant?

Sorry about the confusion. I meant I was deleting my answer because I applied it to oil.

I would fallow manufacturers recommendations for transmission and diff.
HOWEVER, brakes: EVERY 2 years, even if it was in garage and did not make any miles.
Brake fluid is hydroscopic, and attracts moisture and with that, boiling point constantly is going down, regardless of miles she made.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
HOWEVER, brakes: EVERY 2 years, even if it was in garage and did not make any miles.
Brake fluid is hydroscopic, and attracts moisture and with that, boiling point constantly is going down, regardless of miles she made.

the problem is they list large intervals that neither car will ever see so i need to change it by months not mileage which they dont state. and bmw says that those fluids are a "lifetime" fill which is bull and a lot of older bmws have tranny issues because they aren't maintained. I've heard that new bmw's state 100k miles now and are no longer "lifetime" but either way I need to change it by time. The engine I know everyone says at least once a year but the rest?

Originally Posted By: jbotelho15
Originally Posted By: edyvw

the problem is they list large intervals that neither car will ever see so i need to change it by months not mileage which they dont state. and bmw says that those fluids are a "lifetime" fill which is bull and a lot of older bmws have tranny issues because they aren't maintained. I've heard that new bmw's state 100k miles now and are no longer "lifetime" but either way I need to change it by time. The engine I know everyone says at least once a year but the rest?

Ok, tranny, diff I would go every 7yrs in that case.
Brake fluid I would stay to every 2 years as I said before.
How old is the car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back