Focus st oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm about do my first oil change on my '15 focus st. My daily commute is not too long, about 32 miles round trip. Weekend trips can be anywhere from 0-100+. I essentially drive all highway and interstate miles. I don't drive too aggressively, though I do like to get into it now and then. It's a fun car to drive. Occasionally I take it past 100mph although very rarely. Also looking at an oci of around 8k. Looking for input on oils. Thinking about going with rp and sending a sample of it in for uoa on my next change. Has anyone had experience with rp high performance street? Not planning on getting it. Just wondering if it is worth the price and if it actually does anything. Why does it only recommend using it after the factory warranty is done? Sounds like good oil for my girlfriend's car. If it actually works. Thanks for all the help.

RP HPS doesn't have the Ford approval or the API and ILSAC approvals, so it isn't ideal under warranty; that's why they say that. Any oil that is SN/GF-5 and has the Ford specification you need, in the correct viscosity, will serve your engine well.

Mobil oil, Chevron oil, Motorcraft oil. Pennzoil. They meet the requirements.

Everything I have read pertaining to normal rp (not hps) has it meeting the requirements. Hps actually doesn't meet anyone's requirements lol. So won't be getting that for the girlfriend's car either.

I have a 2015 Focus ST as well. Only about 2900 mi on it after 3 months. I changed out the factory fill at 2000 mi and put in Havoline synthetic. I'll probably run it 6000.

The dealer I bought it from offers three free oil changes a year for life and they don't care what the OCIs are, you can have three no matter what. they don't really publicize what oil they use, but I'm pretty sure it's AC Delco 5w30 as I saw a big container recently in their oil change bay.

My strategy is to run the cheapest name brand synthetic I can find for 6000 mi, maybe just 5k, then have them put in their stuff for 2k. I might put 15k a year on the car, so this would be a way to get 2 dealership oil changes recorded by CarFax every year for free, while I still get the satisfaction of doing my own oil changes and do most of the miles on synthetic.

I've never been a believer in the whole "find one good oil and stick with it" school of thought, so this seems like a decent compromise between cost and ultimate performance/protection.

I have a 15 ST as well, and have Pennzoil Ultra/Platinum in it right now. But I mixed mine, 3 qts of 5W30 and 3 qts of the Euro 5W40 platinum (I run a larger filter to make it an even 6 quarts, because 5.7qts is difficult to figure out). Next I will probably run some Mobil 1 EP and some 0W40, and then I have the same combo of Amsoil waiting.

Last edited:
Still running 100% stock here.

Cruising in the mid to high 70mph range with the AC cranked, it's around 27 or 28 (calculated, not trusting the car's display). MPG seems to fall off pretty badly with speed. Not sure if that's a gearing issue or purely an aerodynamic matter. If I cruised at 70, I'm sure it would be 30.

I imagine running in the mid-80 mph range would drop it to about 25 or so.

I've noticed little impact on fuel consumption with different octane ratings, though the car is a bit snappier with 93 than 87.

Last edited:
Any name brand synthetic will suit you fine. Mobil 1, Valvoline SynPower, Pennzoil Ultra/Platinum, Castrol Edge, etc. I personally would use SynPower or Edge. Should be fine for 8K mi. OCI. I'd do every 8,000 or listen to the oil life monitor.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
What highway mpg are you guys getting?
Thanks!

15' ST with 17,500 miles here. Bought new in May. I did some contract work in Ohio over the summer and was driving home to the gulf coast twice a month.

Cruising 70-75 resulted in 32-33 mpg. Cruising at 80 resulted in 30-31 mpg. Regular or premium didn't matter. I've ran both for thousands of miles trying to see a difference. I could never see a difference.

I run Mobil 1 5w30. OLM goes off at 10,500 but I change at 10,000 because its easier to keep track of. Its also just a DD with no track time so, no need to change early.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
What highway mpg are you guys getting?
Thanks!

Computer mileage average over 9000 miles is 26.7. Hand jamming it is 20-23 city, and 28-30 hi way.

Originally Posted By: xr650boy
Still running 100% stock here.

Cruising in the mid to high 70mph range with the AC cranked, it's around 27 or 28 (calculated, not trusting the car's display). MPG seems to fall off pretty badly with speed. Not sure if that's a gearing issue or purely an aerodynamic matter. If I cruised at 70, I'm sure it would be 30.

I imagine running in the mid-80 mph range would drop it to about 25 or so.

I've noticed little impact on fuel consumption with different octane ratings, though the car is a bit snappier with 93 than 87.

I have an Escape and I've noticed the same thing with my 2.0. 60-65 is just fine but over 70+ the mpg falls quite a bit.

I have a '14 ST that is custom tuned and at "stage 2". I am currently running Belgian Castrol 0w-40 after my last two oil changes were PP 5w-30. The 2.0L does have fuel dilution and shearing that occurs in less than 5k that brings PP down to a 20wt viscosity wise. Wear metals were still really low for my car, but I went to a heavier oil anyway for the heat from the turbo, plus to combat viscosity changes.

If you are concerned with warranty I'd run a 5w-30 like Mobil 1 or Castrol. PP is good, but starts on the light end of a 30w. Out of warranty or don't care? Run a 0w-40 or 5-w40.

I'm getting 30-33 avg between highway and what little city driving I do. Highway is mid to high 30s on level ground. Obviously it drops in the hills a bit

Originally Posted By: TWINTOG
Everything I have read pertaining to normal rp (not hps) has it meeting the requirements. Hps actually doesn't meet anyone's requirements lol. So won't be getting that for the girlfriend's car either.

Yes, for warranty requirements the SN RP will be best. HPS is a great oil, but as Garak mentioned it will not meet warranty requirements.

Any GF-5 SN synthetic will do excellent. I'm fond of Synpower. You can't go wrong with any of the majors, however. Including RP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back