I am going to have to put this head on myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Let's consider the possibility that he's not getting advice appropriate for his situation. There are many who cannot wrap their head around patching a car up. They think the $1000 solution is required whether you're working on a beater or new ride. That may be part of why so much money got wasted.

You really need to look up and read some of the threads by his previous usernames. He is absolutely nuts. His behaviour is similar to somebody with the most advanced case of ADHD on record and a massive learning disability snorting half a kilo of Cocaine.

He really seems like a special individual. I just went through one of old post you've linked and couldn't stop laughing.

Sweet Jesus, I forgot about the Expedition incident. That's even better than the Volvo snow failure. It's like he's intentionally destroying his property.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Sweet Jesus, I forgot about the Expedition incident. That's even better than the Volvo snow failure. It's like he's intentionally destroying his property.

The Expedition wasn't even his though. It belonged to a woman he was seeing.

But here's what cool: he always lands on his feet. He gets free room and board from some girlfriend, and if she has enough of his antics there's another girl around the corner. He moves from Boston to New Jersey and segues from jobs at Burger King to Dunking Donuts to 7-11. He seems legitimately happy, at least on his outward persona. You can't get him down, he feels (shows) no pain.

As an exercise in psychology, one might point at Joseph and say, man, look at this idiot, if he only felt pain he'd pull himself up by his boostraps and hold a job and get his own place and save for retirement. But that's just not how he's wired!

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Since the pattern is exactly the same each time he's got a project, I can't of any other reason why he would do this.
The question that I have for *you guys* is knowing this, why do *you* keep on engaging him? I do consider people egging him on to be equally culpable.

*You* want *your* entertainment! You have forfeited your right to snicker at him.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Since the pattern is exactly the same each time he's got a project, I can't of any other reason why he would do this.
The question that I have for *you guys* is knowing this, why do *you* keep on engaging him? I do consider people egging him on to be equally culpable.

*You* want *your* entertainment! You have forfeited your right to snicker at him.

This is my third reply in this whole thread. In the first one I merely attempted to warn people giving well thought out and legitimate advice that their efforts are in vain.
The second one was made in similar effort. I mean, if I spent a considerable time trying to articulate my experience in a well thought out and lengthy post, I probably would get a bit annoyed that all my efforts are for nothing as OP never intended to take any legit advice in the first place.

This one is made to make it clear that I never attempted to make comments directly to the OP or tried to stir up the pot or to make the thread more entertaining. I've participated in OP's prior incarnation threads and this is most likely the last time I'm posting in his threads.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I believe it's time to update the scoreboard!

JcCadilliacMobile Start 02/04/10 End 05/11/10 Posts 356
OilBlazer93 Start 05/17/10 End 05/27/10 Posts 39
HomerJ5w40 Start 05/31/10 End 06/09/10 Posts 45
HangerHarley Start 06/10/10 End 12/27/10 Posts 1239
Gearheadtool Start 03/31/12 End 02/27/13 Posts 1711
technologs Start 04/03/13 End 10/27/13 Posts 2606
MalfunctionProne Start 11/26/14 End 02/19/15 Posts 1499
InfmousCornholio Start 4/22/15 End 09/26/15 Posts 686
GHT Start 9/26/15

Someone should keep track of the vehicles he's destroyed.

Did he get banned each time?

Some, at least. Some he might have just abandoned because people weren't engaging him anymore.

I know he's destroyed two Volvos, a Jaguar, perhaps a Taurus, maybe two Hondas, and a Blazer or Jimmy. There must be others. They all end up just like this. The Swedespeed (Volvo) forum is just as irritated with the way he ignores advice and destroys vehicles. I'm assuming he's done the same on Honda, Jag, and GM forums.

He also destroyed an Expedition, one of his more epic kills. That was the vehicle he drove down the highway on the rotor after driving the rim off of it.

I just read that. Oh my god that's awesome.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

I think that you have to distinguish between "egging him on" and trying to help.

I posted literally dozens of times in the Volvo threads...and the Expedition thread...and this thread...as well as others...

Not out of trying to egg him on, but trying to help him prioritize and adress known Volvo issues in a thoughtful, economical way.

You'll note that the advice of: selling all the clunkers, taking the bus, saving his money, and then buying a decent car...has been routinely rejected.

So, we're left with a choice: try and help within the boundaries that he's set, or let him continue to waste money on poorly advised schemes that wouldn't work.

Help. Or don't.

Seemed pretty simple to me...and I chose to help...and I'm not snickering...

Edit:
This is my third reply in this whole thread. In the first one I merely attempted to warn people giving well thought out and legitimate advice that their efforts are in vain.

The second one was made in similar effort. I mean, if I spent a considerable time trying to articulate my experience in a well thought out and lengthy post, I probably would get a bit annoyed that all my efforts are for nothing as OP never intended to take any legit advice in the first place.

This one is made to make it clear that I never attempted to make comments directly to the OP or tried to stir up the pot or to make the thread more entertaining. I've participated in OP's prior incarnation threads and this is most likely the last time I'm posting in his threads.

KrisZ pretty much nails it here...I've tried...and the time I've spent has left me frustrated...just as Kris predicted...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
and save for retirement. But that's just not how he's wired!

People who inherit millions in cash and property don't need to save for retirement. Some guys can goof off like this their whole lives never work a day and still be fine. Then people who slave away their whole lives can end up looking thru dumpsters for food.

"let me see if i can go get some loc tite"

after watching i dont know, 5 or 6 videos of obvious evidence of a stripped engine block hole, and then proceeding to crush/ruin another head gasket in this one, spraying copper spray everywhere, torquing bolts out of sequence, what else can go wrong? at least fellow NJ honda civic buyers can see the front plate # to avoid it when it shows on craiglist.

Well, that was tough to watch ... I was rooting for him.

Even though there was no reason at all to expect the hole that had been Black & Decker'ed would hold torque, I was still hoping to hear that wrench click off for him.

I thought the native american swastika's on the building in the background were interesting. A few old buildings around here have them as well.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
"let me see if i can go get some loc tite"

after watching i dont know, 5 or 6 videos of obvious evidence of a stripped engine block hole, and then proceeding to crush/ruin another head gasket in this one, spraying copper spray everywhere, torquing bolts out of sequence, what else can go wrong? at least fellow NJ honda civic buyers can see the front plate # to avoid it when it shows on craiglist.

Yeah, but he used a dozen or more bottles of WD-40, acetone, MMO, and canned air. So, that should have fixed it.

Eventually he'll sell the car for $300. I'll then suggest that he liquidate the junk vehicles that he has and use public transportation while saving up for a single reliable car. He'll ignore that, buy another junker, and this process will repeat itself. Maybe it's time to destroy a third Volvo?

I'm not sure why people get so worked up over this.

Asking for advice in no way obligates him to take the advice offered. People offering him advice need to understand that; offer it out of kindness and helpfulness, and just let it go. People often ignore professional advice, that they pay good money for, if it's not what they want to hear or do. That's just the nature of free will.

So he tears up a few old cars. In the overall scheme of things, big deal. Cars are a commodity item - there's no shortage of them.

Yeah, but he used a dozen or more bottles of WD-40, acetone, MMO, and canned air. So, that should have fixed it.

Eventually he'll sell the car for $300. I'll then suggest that he liquidate the junk vehicles that he has and use public transportation while saving up for a single reliable car. He'll ignore that, buy another junker, and this process will repeat itself. Maybe it's time to destroy a third Volvo?

Does a fast food job pay for all of this? I thought it wasn't a living wage let alone a funding vehicle for automotive experimentation.

Originally Posted By: Win

Asking for advice in no way obligates him to take the advice offered. People offering him advice need to understand that; offer it out of kindness and helpfulness, and just let it go. People often ignore professional advice, that they pay good money for, if it's not what they want to hear or do. That's just the nature of free will.

So he tears up a few old cars. In the overall scheme of things, big deal. Cars are a commodity item - there's no shortage of them.

Agree 100%. BUT what if it turns out this is being funded through welfare?

Originally Posted By: Benito

Does a fast food job pay for all of this? I thought it wasn't a living wage let alone a funding vehicle for automotive experimentation.

I don't think he has a lot of bills. He's living in his mother's basement and likely doesn't pay any rent or utilities. That frees up a lot of cash to spend on the cars.

Originally Posted By: Benito

Agree 100%. BUT what if it turns out this is being funded through welfare?

He said that he's off public assistance. I don't know if that's true or not. Taxpayer dollars have paid for his various "hobbies" in the past.

The annoying part is how he asks for advice, knowing all along that he's going to ignore it and destroy the vehicle. Also, his videos of dangerous driving. Watching him do 105 in the jalopy Volvo or drive on the Expedition's rotor on the public highway while recording with his cell phone is another habit that earns derision.

Well, that was tough to watch ... I was rooting for him.

Watched a few minutes. So, if I'm tracking here (and correct me if I'm wrong...) -- although he knew that hole was completely trashed, he went ahead and installed the head, could only achieve torque on nine bolts, and now is going to remove it again to HeliCoil/Loctite the destroyed hole...all while blaming the previous owner for the problem?

I won't speak for everyone, but for myself, it's simply watching him take actions that are in no way going to improve the situation. If he'd just get rid of both of these, then he'd be able to buy a car in good condition, install a quick-drain valve on the pan, and change the oil in it every week if he'd like. Instead, it's sinking a bunch of money and time into these that will inevitably end in failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back