Prepping gas seed to grow faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Long story short, we did some landscaping upgrades, but there's a few spots along an edge where water tends to flow during rains, and I can't get grass to seed well. In reality, it's not a ton of water, and water is well managed in my yard. However, it's enough to float the seed and while seed everywhere else has germinated beautifully, these few small spots just won't grow.

It's too thin/small an area to dig down and throw some sod down, I kind of need to use seed.

So is there a best way to help make the seed germinate so when I transfer it, the likelihood of it getting some roots down is greater?

I was thinking of mixing potting soil and seed in a shallow container, mist it to stay damp, and keep a plant light. Then disperse the seed as soon as it starts to open, re-covering with dirt?

Some other best practice????

I'd like to get something going before it gets too cold. It's coming fast...

Thanks!

local golf courses used to keep small bucket of soil and seed, premixed and damp, for use filling in divots on the tee boxes. It starts growing grass very quickly.

You should still be able to grow it from the ground this time of year in NJ, I would recommend covering it with some hay to keep the birds away. I just had my yard seeded with winter grass and every bird in the neighborhood is treating it like a buffet!

Simple. Just slightly till the area so the seed is in the soil and then mulch it with some straw. The straw has the added advantage of providing cover in the event you do get a frost/freeze.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
You should still be able to grow it from the ground this time of year in NJ, I would recommend covering it with some hay to keep the birds away. I just had my yard seeded with winter grass and every bird in the neighborhood is treating it like a buffet!

Ive grown grass from seed in other areas with no problems whatsoever. Im doing it now in some bare spots in fact.

The issue in the couple spots Im interested in is that there's enough surface water movement under heavy rains that it washes the rain (and will wash loose dirt as well) away. Its just a matter of the way gravity and water move. I know permanent grass can exist there without issue, it has before. I just need to get some new grass to grow there because I disturbed the areas.

All are very small...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back