Why don't more new motorcycles had LED headlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KzMitch
Wonderful.
Another thread goes down the tubes.

LED headlight discussion?
Nope, gotta look elsewhere.
Thanks guys.

Yep. That went down hill pretty fast. Not sure why the anti-motorcycle people bother reading the motorcycle area, let alone post rubbish in here.

Originally Posted By: hpb
Originally Posted By: KzMitch
Wonderful.
Another thread goes down the tubes.

LED headlight discussion?
Nope, gotta look elsewhere.
Thanks guys.

Yep. That went down hill pretty fast. Not sure why the anti-motorcycle people bother reading the motorcycle area, let alone post rubbish in here.

+1 from the OP here. GiveMeABowel is probably just butt hurt because he tried to learn to ride and was too uncoordinated or too scared to manage it.

I installed a Harley Davidson LED tail light on my 14 Road King, simple swap, plug and play (of course).
Cost no more or less then the other quality aftermarket LED taillights. Im impressed with it, nice and bright in running and really bright in brake mode. People can certainly see me when I stop and of course, since it is Harley, its DOT approved, aftermarket ones are not.

As far as the headlights, Im more happy with the OEM standard bulbs. LED headlights are to narrow to be seen by other cars and trucks. They may be great for SOME riders enabling a nice white FORWARD beam but they produce WAY less light to the side on the bike and SOME riders are a little disappointed seeing around bends and corners. They are correct, what makes LED so bright is the beam is more focused and narrow and does not scatter light. I think on the front of the bike, the more scattered light you have the better.

TO see what I am saying, next time in your car, take a good look out when your out on the road of any bike with LED headlight, (bright sunny day) that is approaching you from the other direction. Depending on how off center you are with the bike that is approaching you at times, it will look like the bike with LED headlight doesnt even have the headlights on.

Then look at a bike with standard headlight and Aux or fog lights coming at you, even daytime, the standard lights and fog lights shine so bright its almost hard to keep starting at. (i said almost) vs the LED that dont even look like they are on. I can just see the day that all headlights are LED and if this is not improved people will be looking to upgrade to standard headlights *L*
If it is improved chances are at that point they will be drawing close to the same amount of electricity as the standard bulbs.

One other thing, your screwed if your LED headlight fails, good luck walking into an autoparts store for a new one. LED industry touts how long LED last and they do, the problem is the circuit boards can fail much sooner. So the LEDS are useless.

Im usually at the forefront of new technology (notice my screen name) but just because something is called LED does not mean it is better then standard for all applications.
At this point, LED headlights, for me are made way to cheap and cost way too much when a standard fog light/headlight is a better combination that can be seen much better by oncoming traffic.

Where LED works good is the rear, the beam is and can be more focused and bright, as you are concerned about the car right behind you versis cars way to the left or right.
A headlight you need to be concerned about others to the left and right so they see you and dont pull out in front of you, standard lights excel in this area.

Last edited:
Disagree, at least for my bike.

Depends on the lens arrangement. The standard round single headlight like cruisers use, yes, spread cannot be altered. Swept aero design like on my Ducati, light is thrown to the side. That is why I had to mess with the aiming of my bike's headlights a bit when it was new. I kept getting bright flashed by oncoming traffic and it was because there was too much spread to the side. I actually had to pull the spread inward some. Should note that my bike has dual Lo beams side-by-side parallel, and dual Hi beams also side-by-side parallel. Adjustment screws in the faring allow up/down and inward/outward spread alterations to be done. Took me a while to get the aim where I wanted it to stop getting bright flashed yet have adequate spread to illuminate for night curves and etc.

My bike has a unique arrangement that also allows one to see the comparison of how LED light spreads vs halogen, because it has halogen Hi beams. When I activate Hi's the yellower light thrown does not spread side to side beyond the whiter light of the Lo's.

Agree that with a single round headlamp assembly like most cruisers use, side to side spread is not adjustable.

I dont disagree with you,
I should have stated my post was in relation to my observation on Harleys LED headlights compared to Harleys standard headlights.
I prefer the standard as Harleys (expensive too) LEDs do not in anyway help other drivers see you, in fact its much harder for oncoming traffic to see you over the standard lights.

The standard lights have a different reflector.
In the case of dropping an LED in an existing headlight bucket, you will still have the same spread of light and I certainly believe you when you say it is much better.

Ok, Im impressed, dropping in an existing LED in a standard housing to me would be great, time will tell if they are reliable. LEDs last forever but claims of 30,000 hours are for the LED, whats never mentioned by ANY LED maker, even for home lighting, is the electronics for the LED may break way before that!
IN this case, the fan (from wear) or circuit board from moisture. A standard bulb will run underwater, led will fry.

Anyway, great price on the Speedmetal. Have you noticed much change in the beam pattern?
Its tempting at $69 but for me, Ill wait, I have a two headlight system, though I could put just one in on the low beam and leave the standard high beam in. (just thought of that, hmm, maybe one boring day I will try it)

Impressive ... thought always thought about Cycle Gears HID lights, didnt know about this one.

$69 each at Cycle Gear...
http://www.cyclegear.com/SPEEDMETAL-LED-Conversion-Kit]LED light[/url]

Last edited:
ahh. Took a good look at my headlight, being I have two bulbs in the bucket, I would assume the LED would run too hot by replacing the low beam and leaving the standard high beam in.

KTM has side mounted LEDs that light up as the bike leans over to help illuminate the curve. Seems like a pretty simple solution to the narrow beam problem.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
My new 2015 Ultra Limited came with LED's from the factory.

And do you like them? My Mitsubishi has LED headlights, I think they're great, a very white light, but I can see how the sharp cutoff might be undesirable on a bike.

Originally Posted By: whip
KTM has side mounted LEDs that light up as the bike leans over to help illuminate the curve. Seems like a pretty simple solution to the narrow beam problem.

LED cornering lights = awesome. Ducati has done the same and put them on the S version of the 2015 Multistrada. I'm betting KTM is using the same or similar new Bosch lean angle sensor technology at the heart of their stability control suite. It knows the exact lean angle of the bike and activates the cornering lights when needed. Input from the Bosch system also guides the Cornering ABS which allows, unbelievably, a rider to stab the front brakes while leaned into a curve and the system kicks in like 1/1000th of a second and controls braking in the lean to make it a non-event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back