VOA Suzuki Canada 10W40 Motorcycle Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a VOA for Suzuki 10W40 Motorcycle oil. It is made and marketed in Canada. I don’t know if the USA has a similar oil and formulation. It is rated for API SJ and JASO MA and marketed for use in automobiles, motorcycles, ATVs, and outboard motors. My application is for a Suzuki outboard and this is what the Suzuki dealers are selling for outboards here in Canada. Strangely enough, the Suzuki dealers here are unable to get the Suzuki Marine synthetic blend 10W40 sold in the USA which I would prefer since that is FC-W rated.

Analysis was done by Toromont Caterpillar in Canada.

Copper 0
Iron 2
Chrome 0
Aluminum 0
Lead 0
Tin 0
Silicon 1
Sodium 2
Potassium 1
Moly 1
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Calcium 1983
Phosphorus 820
Zinc 898

Viscosity cSt at 100C 14.1
TBN 8.7
TAN .20

My concern is that my outboard has flat tappets so I was looking for a high zinc / phosphorus oil. I thought as an SJ rated oil it should have plenty, but this seems no better than a modern SN oil.

Comments?

This looks pretty boring. How does the cost compare to 15w-40 HDEO like Delvac or Rotella? That's what I'd be using, or 5w-40 if you want synthetic.

I don't remember the cost. Don't really care given that each oil change is (from memory) less that 3 liters and I only do it once a year. I'm more concerned about whether this oil is really suitable or not. The outboard is a model year 2,000 and I believe originally specced for 10w40 API SG automotive oil. Back then, lots of zinc and phos in the SG oils. When motor oils started reducing those to help prolong cat converter life, the marine industry created the NMMA FC-W spec in part to ensure oils that met that spec still had enough zinc / phos for the flat tappet designs prevalent in outboards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back