Is Fuel Economy Hiding in J300

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://colopetro.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/High-Temp-High-Sheer-Article.pdf

Close to another nail in the J300 viscosity ratings.

Some of you know my stance that the system needs to be changed to xW-HTHS, rather than grades that were once derived on Newtonian fluids, counting the seconds to pass through a viscometer.

I've criticised before the uber VI oils that have elevated KV100s for their HTHS (it's the reciprocal of the other claim that their HTHS is too low for their KV).

Examples, TGMO, Mobil racing 0W50...the protection is the HTHS, having artificially high KVs to make them look like something that they aren't is silly (Mobil Racing 0W50 could be replaced by a solid 40 for just as good advantage).

And I think 0W16 is preferable over the uber high VI 0W20s...Honda agree, they are the ones pushing the grade.

It's an interesting article, in that it's "two worlds colliding" in the discussions on BITOG.

Oil in question is a High VI, High HTHS 5W20 (KVs of a 5w20, hths OF 2.9)...many on here would call that 5W20 "really a 30", my stance is it's the natural HTHS for a newtonian 20.

Final para touches on issues like I've mentioned from a number of Honda papers, where they are concerned that lowering KVs will have possible negative affects in other facets of operation (hydralically speaking).

As the oils become more "advanced", the testing methods from 1911 (although updated) remain. The testing process might need a newer approach?

Originally Posted By: wemay
As the oils become more "advanced", the testing methods from 1911 (although updated) remain. The testing process might need a newer approach?
Old habits die hard. BMI is still used as a major indicator of a person's health even though it measures almost nothing. Elite athletes can be obese and a person that just died from bulimia/anorexia can be normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back